Why become a member? ×

What made you swop from Roundwounds to Flatwounds

Guest BassAdder27

20 minutes ago, Jonesy said:

Age. You know you're getting old when you have flats instead of rounds on your basses 😂

You are right. When maturing you start to appreciate the finer things a lot more than whippersnappers possibly could.

• Like 1

I have 2 basses, and strung one with flats last year.  I practice with it quite a bit , but don’t really like the tension and am not a massive fan of the tone.  Before each gig, I A and B both basses, and always end up taking the rounds. 

OK, history lesson.  This isn't so much a story about converting to flats, more a case of starting out, then switching and by necessity, throwing a set of flats on one bass. 

When I first started out, my initial bass had flats on it; I broke the G-string and for whatever reason (probably not knowing any better), I bought a round wound G-string.  The bass got sold (complete with three flats and a round wound G) and I bought a Columbus Jazz bass.  This had a set of nylon wrapped strings (essentially rounds with a flat black wrap); I unwound the wrap and behold round wounds, which I continued to use until a couple of years ago.

I was depping for a band that asked for flats tonally, so I bought a cheap set off Amazon (nasty) and then a set of Fenders (nice).  I used them for about a month on one bass and then switched that back to rounds.

Still have the flats, but doubtful they'll see action again.  Just not me.