Why become a member? ×

Buying my first fiver

BillyBass

2 hours ago, Lfalex v1.1 said:

If (by trying various basses) you can figure out what factors you do and don't like,  then that will hopefully enable you to buy second-hand.

By so doing,  your budget will go much further. 

Edit- I quite like the look of the MTD Kingston Super 5..

I know more about what I don't like than what I like.  I like both P and J necks, I like the space on a P fretboard but I also like the smaller easier to navigate J neck.  I'm not keen on overly tight string spacing but this is something I can get used to.  The only bass neck I've tried that I really didn't like was a U.S. Sterling I borrowed from a mate; thin nut and string spacing but fat out back, like a baseball bat cut in half (not sure which letter of the alphabet that is), and a G string that fell off the fretboard if I was slightly sloppy with my playing.  

Edited by BillyBass

54 minutes ago, Machines said:

As long as you are willing to take a financial hit of at least 30% if you choose to sell something you bought new (assuming they aren't super rare), then go for it.

My plan is to buy and not sell it on, so spend a bit more and get a keeper.  Yes, I know, famous last words.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Rayman said:

I think the M5/7 is maybe a better bet. It seems like a total all rounder. But yes the Charvel is a looker, I love the colours available, but again, apparently the Pre is a bit weak.

The Charvel has a few plus points apart from the looks.  

1) Di Marzio noiseless pups.  I have put Di Marzio Ultra Jazz noiseless pups in my Fender Player Jazz and love them, with the Charvel they come stock!

2) They aren't heavy (anecdotally), unlike so many fivers.  I can handle 4.5 KG over my shoulder for a 3 hour rehearsal but that's as heavy as I would want to go

3) Luminlay side dots as stock

I keep the tone at 100% on the 4 passive basses that I use regularly so if I left this in passive with no tone control, that would suit me.  The pre amp is a bonus and some reviewers hate it, Low end lobster, for example, others have liked it.  If I buy one I can always swap it out for something else.

Internet research is useful but you can't beat putting a bass over your shoulder and trying it out though.  I'd like to compare the Charvel with a few others.

41 minutes ago, BillyBass said:

The Charvel has a few plus points apart from the looks.  

1) Di Marzio noiseless pups.  I have put Di Marzio Ultra Jazz noiseless pups in my Fender Player Jazz and love them, with the Charvel they come stock!

2) They aren't heavy (anecdotally), unlike so many fivers.  I can handle 4.5 KG over my shoulder for a 3 hour rehearsal but that's as heavy as I would want to go

3) Luminlay side dots as stock

I keep the tone at 100% on the 4 passive basses that I use regularly so if I left this in passive with no tone control, that would suit me.  The pre amp is a bonus and some reviewers hate it, Low end lobster, for example, others have liked it.  If I buy one I can always swap it out for something else.

Internet research is useful but you can't beat putting a bass over your shoulder and trying it out though.  I'd like to compare the Charvel with a few others.

Yeah lobster and bully both disliked it, BUT you can't judge a bass with someone else's ears, you might love the Pre.

I was told my Hohner B Bass would sound weak..... no chance, it sounds fabulous to me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BillyBass said:

My plan is to buy and not sell it on, so spend a bit more and get a keeper. 

Are you still playing the first 4 string bass you bought, or, after gaining more experience and knowledge, have you found something better?

Same for 5 string basses, so unless you jump straight to the Sadowsky level, for instance, you'll almost certainly be upgrading at some point.

13 minutes ago, chris_b said:

Are you still playing the first 4 string bass you bought, or, after gaining more experience and knowledge, have you found something better?

Same for 5 string basses, so unless you jump straight to the Sadowsky level, for instance, you'll almost certainly be upgrading at some point.

Ok, fair enough but perhaps keep it longer.

A big part of this purchase is Gas, which doesn't follow reason.  The heart wants what it wants, especially after @Ricky Rioliposts pictures like the one above

1 hour ago, Rayman said:

I think the M5/7 is maybe a better bet. It seems like a total all rounder. But yes the Charvel is a looker, I love the colours available, but again, apparently the Pre is a bit weak.

I've just watched 4 reviews of the M7.  Looks like a great alternative.  Its modern, I prefer more traditional stuff, Fender and others but this has given me food for thought.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BillyBass said:

I know more about what I don't like than what I like.  I like both P and J necks, I like the space on a P fretboard but I also like the smaller easier to navigate J neck.  I'm not keen on overly tight string spacing but this is something I can get used to.  The only bass neck I've tried that I really didn't like was a U.S. Sterling I borrowed from a mate; thin nut and string spacing but fat out back, like a baseball bat cut in half (not sure which letter of the alphabet that is), and a G string that fell off the nut if I was slightly sloppy with my playing.  

All your knowledge of preferences may go out the window with a 5 string. That B string offers a lot of considerations and there are plenty of specifications out there claiming to have the best B string. Neck, scale length, neck thru, active electronics, fanned frets ect.

The Charvel may look a great bass and have great features in theory. You need to play it. It might be crap. The problem at this price point is that although overall quality for the price had increased enormously in the last 20 years, you have a reasonable chance of getting one that’s a dog - either the fit and finish or the playability could be poor. For me a 5 is not a 4 with a thicker string added, it’s a different proposition. Few manufacturers build a 5 from the ground up, they just make a slightly bigger 4. It doesn’t work as the B string sounds rubbish. If I were in the market for a traditional looking 5 I’d get a Sire V7 - I’ve owned one, and although a touch weighty with neck dive, it was manageable (and lighter tuners fix the dive). You can probably pick up a used one for half your budget or less, and IMHO there’s nothing else in that price bracket to touch it. Plus if you don’t like it you’re unlikely to lose anything selling it. But by all means try the Charvel if you can - you might love it.

• Like 1

A Cort Artisan A5 is in budget, and they're excellent basses.

But as many have echoed - there's a good few excellent 5ers at great prices in the for sale section. Why not buy one of those that takes your fancy, play it for 6 months and either sell it if you don't get on with it and go back to 4, or keep it... or sell it and buy another 5. Either way you won't loose money.

Edited by binky_bass
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, FDC484950 said:

The Charvel may look a great bass and have great features in theory. You need to play it. It might be crap. The problem at this price point is that although overall quality for the price had increased enormously in the last 20 years, you have a reasonable chance of getting one that’s a dog - either the fit and finish or the playability could be poor. For me a 5 is not a 4 with a thicker string added, it’s a different proposition. Few manufacturers build a 5 from the ground up, they just make a slightly bigger 4. It doesn’t work as the B string sounds rubbish. If I were in the market for a traditional looking 5 I’d get a Sire V7 - I’ve owned one, and although a touch weighty with neck dive, it was manageable (and lighter tuners fix the dive). You can probably pick up a used one for half your budget or less, and IMHO there’s nothing else in that price bracket to touch it. Plus if you don’t like it you’re unlikely to lose anything selling it. But by all means try the Charvel if you can - you might love it.

I'll be visiting Guitarguitar to try a Charvel and a couple of Sadowsky Metro Expresses on Saturday.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BillyBass said:

A big part of this purchase is Gas. . . . .

In that case I'd suggest you don't get a 5 string bass. Sorry but you need more than GAS to make this work.

IMO when moving to a 5,  you need motivation and committent to put yourself through the technique changes required. 

That's why most players who "didn't get on" with 5's, bail out early. They weren't serious enough about the move and should never have started down that path.

Edited by chris_b
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, chris_b said:

In that case I'd suggest you don't get a 5 string bass. Sorry but you need more than GAS to make this work.

IMO when moving to a 5,  you need motivation and committent to put yourself through the technique changes required. 

That's why most players who "didn't get on" with 5's, bail out early. They weren't serious enough about the move and should never have started down that path.

My Gas is affecting the particular 5 string bass I want but it doesn't mean the motivation and commitment isn't there.  The whole reason for this is that learning to play a 5 string is something I have been putting off for a while.  In our last rehearsal I had to detune to D standard for one song and it would have all just been much easier with a 5 string.  I will be staying at home for a couple of weeks from Monday so its the perfect time to do it as I'll have plenty of time.

You don't know me but the reason I started learning bass in the first place was a desire to learn and the constant learning keeps me going.

• Like 3

Once you have a 5, you'll start learning songs that are pretty hard to play without one, and there's no way back, in my opinion. For example at home, I play along with a ton of jazz and trip hop stuff, which needs a low B. There's no way I could do without a 5er in my collection now. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BillyBass said:

You don't know me but the reason I started learning bass in the first place was a desire to learn and the constant learning keeps me going.

Then sir, definitely get a 6! 

The high C on a 6 string bass really opens up what you can do, especially for chord shapes and adding great melody. These days when I pick up the one 4 string I have left I am almost totally lost as almost everything I play uses both the C and B of a 6er. 

If you can learn 5, you can learn 6! 😁

6 hours ago, binky_bass said:

Then sir, definitely get a 6! 

The high C on a 6 string bass really opens up what you can do, especially for chord shapes and adding great melody. These days when I pick up the one 4 string I have left I am almost totally lost as almost everything I play uses both the C and B of a 6er. 

If you can learn 5, you can learn 6! 😁

6 string?  That's rather decadent.  I barely touch my G string and the dusty end of my basses are generally quite dusty.

My first (and only) 5er is a Harley Benton MM85a. Good bass and only £177 quid. The neck pickup is too close for slapping but that's about it. They do a single pickup passive for about £120 which looks cool too. I didn't want to spend big on something I wasn't sure about. Glad I didn't as it is good enough for me.

Before you buy anything try a few and make note of the string spacing at the bridge. Even a 1mm difference will be noticeable and this is one area which is more important when buying a 5 string. Also make sure the bass has a clear low B, a lot of budget 5ers sound like a danger fart gone wrong when you play the extra string.

I would be looking at MTD, Sire, Yamaha and Cort/Ibanez. You're also well into used German Warwick terriroty there if you don't need to buy a new bass.