Why become a member? ×

Underrated Bits Of Gear...

binky_bass

One of the best bass things I’ve ever bought has been a Gear4Music foam case. A kind of cross between a gig bag and a hard case, with all the advantages of each. Had mine for years & done hundreds of gigs and it still looks and works brilliantly - the only bass case I’ve used in ages. Superb protection yet light as a light thing. Actually bought a spare which has never left the house. When I bought them I think they were £39.99 which is ridiculous for such a great bit of kit. Just checked and they’re now £49.99, which although a 25% increase is still a good deal IMO.  

3 hours ago, Downunderwonder said:

Recommended to get a good handle on TS TRS before launching into these buggers.

I'm not that bad, I've been doing it for 50 years - thought I'd got all three soldered up but the shield came adrift later. The ones I really dislike are 5-pin DIN plugs for MIDI, so I just buy the leads ready-made.

And thinking of MIDI, the SubZero MB44 USB to 4 MIDIs is really handy although I think it's gone up somewhat in price since I bought one: https://www.gear4music.com/Recording-and-Computers/SubZero-4x4-MIDI-Interface/2KOA

Gear4Music do a fair few good things under their SubZero brand, like Thomann and Harley Benton.

2 hours ago, Thunderbird said:

Gonna get shot down in flames for this but I think my most underrated gear is a plectrum as I wouldn't be able to play without one as my hands are buggered 😩

Same here. I cant feel two fingers on my right hand so I'm in the same boat.  I can play fingerstyle,  not terribly well, but all the practice in the world wont make my fingers reliably do what I want them to so I simply embrace the Tortex.

• Like 1

These little gadgets from DAddario are great for securing the strap to the bass.  A combination of a thick leather strap and the shape of my bass guitar's strap buttons means that the rubber, beer bottle locks, keep shooting off in all dirctions!  These do the trick.

67677998_DaDarrio(2).jpg.6a38ad19fe5d082c37ed0823212c3e64.jpg

Edited by LeftyP