Why become a member? ×

Song tempos etc

casapete

Last night (on a rare Saturday night off !) thought I'd go and see a couple of local pub bands doing covers.
The first one I've got a dep with next week - they do classic rock stuff, Stones, T.Rex,Cream etc.
The second were doing more indie covers-Kings of Leon, Kaiser Chiefs etc. Both bands were okay, and went down well with the audience.

Anyway, why do most bands play covers so much faster than the original versions? Okay, I know that live most of the original bands probably
increase the tempos a tad, but cover bands always seem to be off like f**k!! IMHO the majority of great rock songs are written with
specific tempos/keys in mind, and altering them just ruins it!
Classic example is the Stones 'Honky Tonk Woman' - grooves like hell at the original speed,turns into crap when played too fast.

When the drummer in my band is away, I have the job of counting songs in - always do this a bit slow as drummers tend to come in a bit 'bright'
despite the count. Always amazed at the difference doing songs at the right tempo can make.

Anyone else noticed this,or is it me just being an old fart?

Edited by casapete

Mostly it's down to "nerves".
Before counting in think about what you are doing,[i]relax[/i] for a few seconds, don't just rush in. Think of the key part of the song, the riff, the chorus melody etc, and hum a couple of bars to yourself and [i]then[/i] count. Sometimes it may be a little fast or sometimes a little slow but you should be "in the ball park".

Steve

EDIT: casapete, I know that you weren't after advice, but the tip may be of use to someone.

Edited by SteveK

I was asking the same thing last night. I did a gig with a scratch band in which the keyboard player was from a nationally sucessful 80s/90s band. Hecounted every tune in at least 30&% faster than it shoudl have been and everything sounded rushed as a result.

I believe that the two most important things in establishing a groove to die for are a, the SOUND (of the bass, the drums etc) and b, the tempo. If either of thise isn't right, the groove will only ever be a 'nearly but not quite'.

SteveK's advice is sound.

[quote name='PURPOLARIS' post='454661' date='Apr 5 2009, 01:44 PM']Our drummer has the tempo for every song we play written down and programmed into his metronome thingy that he has attached to his drums. He counts us in using that. We're generally not too far off the tempo that way.[/quote]

Yep, we did this also. Really does help, even to get you starting off at the right tempo.

I worked with a guitarist/band leader for a while who might as well have just shouted "go" at the start of each song for allt he good his counting did.

He used to do stuff like shout "one. . . .two.three . . . . . . .four".

Eventually the band fired him :)

I work with a drummer who has every song written out & plays with a click feeding into his in-ear monitors. His timing is great & he often tells us that the tempo we want to learn something is faster than the original - he's ALWAYS right about this too!

[quote name='casapete' post='454600' date='Apr 5 2009, 12:25 PM']Anyway, why do most bands play covers so much faster than the original versions? Okay, I know that live most of the original bands probably
increase the tempos a tad, but cover bands always seem to be off like f**k!! IMHO the majority of great rock songs are written with
specific tempos/keys in mind, and altering them just ruins it!
Classic example is the Stones 'Honky Tonk Woman' - grooves like hell at the original speed,turns into crap when played too fast.[/quote]

I have constantly griped about this in several bands (and sometimes get support from others). Over and over again I say 'It's too fast, it's got no dance, it's just running off, no feel'.

Sometimes, if I'm copying the original bassline which for a standard tune I might well do, I have to say 'I can't play this line that fast' and then before I'm accused of being not good enough to play it 'that fast' I have to point out that the line was not written to be played that fast and if the song was going to be that fast it would have had a different bassline. If you are going to play a song at a faster (or slower) tempo you won't necessarily use the same line at that altered tempo, it may need a different line. Am I right?

[quote name='SteveK' post='454640' date='Apr 5 2009, 01:21 PM']Mostly it's down to "nerves".
Before counting in think about what you are doing,[i]relax[/i] for a few seconds, don't just rush in. Think of the key part of the song, the riff, the chorus melody etc, and hum a couple of bars to yourself and [i]then[/i] count. Sometimes it may be a little fast or sometimes a little slow but you should be "in the ball park".

Steve

EDIT: casapete, I know that you weren't after advice, but the tip may be of use to someone.[/quote]

+1.

I'd say that's very good advice - but it only works if you have some grasp of the correct tempo in the first place.

[quote name='casapete' post='454600' date='Apr 5 2009, 12:25 PM']Anyone else noticed this,or is it me just being an old fart?[/quote]

Yes I had noticed it

No you are not.

I was thinking of posting about this problem this very afternoon. We have this very same problem. It's not only bass parts that suffe. If the tempo is too fast then the vocalist can't actually get all the words out. Unfortunately I don't know what the answer is because he does it with his other bands as well. I like the idea of a click-in-the-ear but would he wear it? :)

+1... It bugs me a lot when I hear a cover played like 30bpm faster than the original. Usually kills it stone dead. I think that some people just have only the concept of playing those notes, and just forget or are ignorant to the idea they're in the context of a song. One that stands out as particularly bad is when I hear Muse's Hysteria being played at a gazillion bpm. Completely ruins the groove and the different pushes and pulls of the accents natural to the line are completely lost. I think a lot of people mix up the idea of complicated and fast too often!

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='454992' date='Apr 5 2009, 10:49 PM']I have constantly griped about this in several bands (and sometimes get support from others). Over and over again I say 'It's too fast, it's got no dance, it's just running off, no feel'.

Sometimes, if I'm copying the original bassline which for a standard tune I might well do, I have to say 'I can't play this line that fast' and then before I'm accused of being not good enough to play it 'that fast' I have to point out that the line was not written to be played that fast and if the song was going to be that fast it would have had a different bassline. If you are going to play a song at a faster (or slower) tempo you won't necessarily use the same line at that altered tempo, it may need a different line. Am I right?[/quote]

Spot on.
Lots of soul/Motown songs are examples of this - play them too fast and the wonderful basslines lose all their meaning/relevance to the song etc.
So often I have to adjust the line accordingly. Stuff with a 16's feel seems to get drummers off on one! And songs played in 8's really suffer from being too fast!

Maybe we should compile a list of tunes that suffer the most from excess speed (!) - will kick off with a few obvious ones from
my experience with covers bands -

Honky Tonk Woman
Everybody needs somebody (Blues Bros)
The Best
Living on a prayer
Mustang Sally
Chelsea dagger
Like a virgin
My girl
Sunshine of your love
Smoke on the water
Signed sealed delivered
Summer of 69
etc etc.......

[quote name='casapete' post='455619' date='Apr 6 2009, 04:11 PM']Spot on.
Lots of soul/Motown songs are examples of this - play them too fast and the wonderful basslines lose all their meaning/relevance to the song etc.
So often I have to adjust the line accordingly. Stuff with a 16's feel seems to get drummers off on one! And songs played in 8's really suffer from being too fast!

Maybe we should compile a list of tunes that suffer the most from excess speed (!) - will kick off with a few obvious ones from
my experience with covers bands -

Honky Tonk Woman
Everybody needs somebody (Blues Bros)
The Best
Living on a prayer
Mustang Sally
Chelsea dagger
Like a virgin
My girl
Sunshine of your love
Smoke on the water
Signed sealed delivered