Why become a member? ×

Shocked, at best!

NancyJohnson

While I doubt I'm going to be able to retire off the royalties, current band has racked up 1,000 Spotify plays of just one song in the last two weeks.  (Old band, hundreds of songs, six plays...which alludes that not even the band are listening.)

I keep asking myself how?  It seems to have been picked up in Mexico and that spread to Brazil; there's an even spread generally on a global basis.

Weird.

Screenshot_20211114-155636_Spotify.thumb.jpg.32e8a188c7c0f681bc21629bf90b3840.jpg

• Like 15

I've just had a listen and I like it 🙂👍, and yes I did try and click the play button in your screenshot, it's early 🙄😄

With all the conversations about streaming killing music, this is the plus side. Years ago, without some sort of fairly big record deal, nobody in Mexico or Brazil would have heard your music. 

Genuine question, if this track took off and really did well, generating a decent amount of money, what would happen about the Guns of Brixton quote, royalty wise? 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, NancyJohnson said:

... I just have no idea how this has happened.

Because it's a bloody catchy tune basically. 

It's non pretentious, ballsy punk pop rock, with an uplifting, call to arms, football terrace, chant-along chorus. 

It has a familiar feel, almost as if you've known it for ages, which can only help.

I hate myself for comparing new songs to things I've heard before but it's only human nature, and I can hear original punk with hints of Rancid and Distillers punk revival thrown in, with a healthy nod to The Ruts' 'Staring at the Rude Boys', all great stuff. 

Whilst feeling familiar it also feels new and exciting, especially to a generation that hasn't experienced punk and its nineties revival, helping it appeal to a wide age span. 

Look at me, the music critic 😄

The bass is sounding especially great in the bit between the Clash quote and the lead break. 

And a link needs adding here because I clicked your screenshot again. 

Edited by Maude
Adding link
  • Like 1

Sounds really à la Foo Fighters, very well done.

Maybe I'm too old, but I can't hear anything punk in there, it's more on the pop side (no offense intented as I love good pop music).

That said, I understand why people like it, it's a really catchy tune.

Congratulations, the plays are more than deserved.

PS : Don't spend everything on ... sex and drugs and rock'n'roll attitude. 😉

23 hours ago, NancyJohnson said:

have been put on some Spotify curated playlists.

Wonder if this happened in Brazil somehow and caused a boost. 

This is what happens with Celebrity deaths suddenly happening again. The BBC publish something related with a link, people click on the link and it becomes most read, even though its an old story. 

You may have picked a particular tag somehow that's being picked up. That's how YouTube works, not sure about Spotify as I've never added music. 

Edit: yes you can add metadata tags to your tracks when uploading on the desktop version. 

Edited by TimR