Why become a member? ×

Ashdown ABM owners club

Guest BassAdder27

Used it for the first time this evening. Have to say, I’m thoroughly impressed. Plenty of versatility in the eq, nice depth and warmth to the sound. Used it ‘dry’ and also tried a few pedals through it,  Ashdown Lomenzo hyperdrive, EBS Sheehan sig, and Darkglass X Ultra. Only took my Sire V7 tonight, so yet to try my Yamaha Attitude Ltd 2 or my Warwick SS1 yet, but so far I’m loving this amp 

BB1943FC-DEBD-4613-A436-F6013CAF52AA.jpeg

• Like 8

55 minutes ago, Chaddy said:

Tight!

My ABM is still wrapped up in bubble wrap from the return as I strained my forearm & then got Covid.  Livid :D 

Get well soon! That was a pretty speedy turnaround from Ashdown, did you just get it serviced or was it in for repair? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ern500evo said:

Get well soon! That was a pretty speedy turnaround from Ashdown, did you just get it serviced or was it in for repair? 

Repair due to "summit abit loose" ( power control ) Did a tighten up, changed two crackly pots (never noticed) and returned back a day later.  Seemed happy it just needed a little TLC overall. 
I was expecting more or the charge but honestly thought I mis heard him on the phone at first.  

I only noticed the rattle when using it loud, move it off an amp and it was fine. Bet way to describe was a metal grill being vibrated. What you get when ordering from Ebay. the seller would of known this was a issue unless it was kicked down a flight of stairs. I've been stung twice in the past by this when buying now. Some good some bad experiences, but it is what happens.  

Along time ago there was a Marshal set up I was interested in and the guy kept talking to me when I was trying to test it out, to hide a speaker mount that had failed.  Another time when I sold a old 1x15 cab for the soldering mounts on the tweeter to fail when I had put it in the car on the way to the buyers house so he could try it out and I noticed something wasn't right. Felt a right plum...  took the back off, found the fault and knocked off cash for him on the spot.  Marshal build quality was fantastic that the weight of two wires could simply strip the solder & break the joints if tilted.  

I won't mentioned my 900 quid new charvel, I've got to now re do the shielding in copper as it was okay but has got worse. or my pedals are slowly starting to fail ( Boss NS-2 gone ). 

Why do we this music thing again?....

Edited by Chaddy
  • Like 1

On 13/10/2022 at 17:06, King Tut said:

And your 'Big Rig' is?!!

So I used the combo at rehearsal last night (could have used the supplied Ampeg SVTIII through matching 6x10). All I can say is one is a happy boy this morning - two guitars playing through small valve combos plus acoustic drums and the Ashdown was hardly ticking over. Big fat authoritative tone, but the mids from my fretless were cutting through beautifully (unlike when using said Ampeg rig). Looking forward to gigging with the rig now.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, ern500evo said:

Used the ABM600 for its first proper gig last night. It sounded fantastic. I can’t believe how much different this thing sounds to my old ABM500. Definitely pleased with this one so far 

What difference are you hearing? I have the rack mount ABM600 but it is my first Ashdown head since playing some old knackered stuff in a rehearsal room about 15 odd years ago. 

21 minutes ago, Nickthebass said:

What difference are you hearing? I have the rack mount ABM600 but it is my first Ashdown head since playing some old knackered stuff in a rehearsal room about 15 odd years ago. 

It just sounds more alive. My 500 is a very early model, so I’m not surprised the 600 sounds better. To me it sounds much clearer, with a great clean tone. The 9 band eq makes it easy to fine tune your tone. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ern500evo said:

Used the ABM600 for its first proper gig last night. It sounded fantastic. I can’t believe how much different this thing sounds to my old ABM500. Definitely pleased with this one so far 

5 hours ago, BruceBass3901 said:

The difference between the EVO III and EVO IV is staggering. Such an awesome sounding amp.

Def, the EVO IV has a much sharper, more precise sound, but retains the solidity & heft to the sound.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Chaddy said:

Did the Evo know you bought the IV600 before hand? or did you just introduce it suddenly? - Just one of the Theories I am working on atm

The Evo4 was bought to replace my EBS TD650, but this happened before I’d bought it 

I don't use my ABM very often since I swapped to a Valeton Bass Dapper pedal purely for portability and convenience...but this isn't going anywhere any time soon!  That said, I actually used the head and 2x10 a couple of weeks ago at a bike rally gig where we shared the drum kit and bass backline with the guys before us.

D17D38F7-3941-4D21-99FF-B8238D9B8E64.JPG

Edited by DaytonaRik
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, DaytonaRik said:

I don't use my ABM very often since I swapped to a Valeton Bass Dapper pedal purely for portability and convenience...but this isn't going anywhere any time soon!  That said, I actually used the head and 2x10 a couple of weeks ago at a bike rally gig where we shared the drum kit and bass backline with the guys before us.

D17D38F7-3941-4D21-99FF-B8238D9B8E64.JPG

You’re not in a Lizzy tribute by any chance are you?!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 2elliot said:

Very interesting Ashdown video with James Lomenzo. Definitely worth a watch...

Amp...

20221105_220519.thumb.jpg.cf99fb25a128eabdafac0e81d5c7d7f2.jpg

...and a new Hyperdrive pedal being worked on?

If they produce a hyperdrive in a much smaller enclosure, I’d buy one in an instant. I love mine, but it’s just too bloody big! 

• Like 2

Wondering if you guys could help me.

I'm considering changing my bass head (Eich T900) for an ABM 600 EVO IV. I'm running it with a Barefaced Big Baby 2 that I'm planning to keep.

I've a couple questions over an offer I've seen for one ABM 600 EVO IV 20th anniversary:

1. Seller claims it's UK made and hand wired - is this the same for 'regular' ABM 600 EVO IV's?

2. Is £400 a good price in good condition?

3. How useful is the compresor? I don't abuse it but like to keep some 'always on'

4. Heard from a trusted BC'er that Ashdown and Barefaced is a good pairing but happy to hear more on this!

(more on this here)