Why become a member? ×

Urgent advice needed

GreeneKing

I was after some genuine useful advice on G+L prices. I wasn't after judgement on whether I needed it etc. I'm old enough to make those decisions myself. It's up as a half price clearance offer and it sounds and plays great. I wanted to make sure that they don't all go for this sorta dosh. Thanks for the useful advice. Some of the other stuff seems to go with the territory a little too often nowadays. Peter

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='451559' date='Apr 1 2009, 02:58 PM']I was after some genuine useful advice on G+L prices. I wasn't after judgement on whether I needed it etc. I'm old enough to make those decisions myself. It's up as a half price clearance offer and it sounds and plays great. I wanted to make sure that they don't all go for this sorta dosh. Thanks for the useful advice. Some of the other stuff seems to go with the territory a little too often nowadays. Peter[/quote]

If you needed urgent info on the price to ascertain whether it was a bargain or not , you should have said that more precisely instead of inviting comments on whether you needed it or not. Moaning, 15 minutes after posting your question, about receiving one reply, which didn't help you isn't really going to do you any favours is it.

I've just looked and a new G and L Tribute L2000 appears to go from about £500 to £600. You should know when they say "half price", it's bullshit speak for 30%. Hartnoll Guitars do them for £649 and reckon the RRP is £819.

Hope that helps.

Edited by silddx

Now we're all entitled to our opinions. I did clearly ask for urgent advice and can't see where advice on my needs was requested although my post was light hearted as generally is my nature. As for moaning? My sarcastic remark was because having specifically asked for help and saying that I was on my phone the 1st respondant wasn't at all helpful and just passed unsolicited judgement on what I have and therefore my needs. Wtf?

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='451604' date='Apr 1 2009, 03:37 PM']Now we're all entitled to our opinions. I did clearly ask for urgent advice and can't see where advice on my needs was requested although my post was light hearted as generally is my nature. As for moaning? My sarcastic remark was because having specifically asked for help and saying that I was on my phone the 1st respondant wasn't at all helpful and just passed unsolicited judgement on what I have and therefore my needs. Wtf?[/quote]

K.

<shrug>

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='451604' date='Apr 1 2009, 03:37 PM']Now we're all entitled to our opinions. I did clearly ask for urgent advice and can't see where advice on my needs was requested although my post was light hearted as generally is my nature. As for moaning? My sarcastic remark was because having specifically asked for help and saying that I was on my phone the 1st respondant wasn't at all helpful and just passed unsolicited judgement on what I have and therefore my needs. Wtf?[/quote]

But a slight over reaction on your part?

Blimey - not quite sure how that all kicked off :)

Anyway, Tributes go for around £600 to £700 new. I think this is a geniune bargain. If you don't go for it, could you let me know where it is, as I would be interested in it myself!

Edited by simon1964

[quote name='cheddatom' post='451627' date='Apr 1 2009, 03:55 PM']One person's overreaction is another's light-hearted sarcasm.[/quote]

Think he made it perfectly clear it irritated him somewhat given his "Wtf" after it. Anyway, what the hell.

Thanx Tom for some sanity. Still unsure if it was a good deal or not I tried it again and took the plunge. I'll see how it goes when I get it home. It could be a future bargain on here. The switches make a real differnce to the tone. Can anyone tell me their function? Is it only me then that sees a bass that they've always been interested in at a 'steal' price they can (just) afford and jumps at it needs disregarded? Peter

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='451652' date='Apr 1 2009, 04:12 PM']Thanx Tom for some sanity. Still unsure if it was a good deal or not I tried it again and took the plunge. I'll see how it goes when I get it home. It could be a future bargain on here. The switches make a real differnce to the tone. Can anyone tell me their function? Is it only me then that sees a bass that they've always been interested in at a 'steal' price they can (just) afford and jumps at it needs disregarded? Peter[/quote]

If they go for £600-£700 I would say it was a bargain and if you don't like you could get your money back quickly enough.

I say go for it.

Edited by waynepunkdude

the switches on an L2000/L2500 are (from neck to bridge)

pickup selector (neck/both/bridge)

series/parallel

passive/active/active with treble boost

the Tribute I used to own was a cracker :) (used to be jezzaboys before me and he's since bought another)

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='451652' date='Apr 1 2009, 04:12 PM']It could be a future bargain on here. The switches make a real differnce to the tone. Can anyone tell me their function?[/quote]

I can't swear to it, but from memory one is an active/passive, and another is a series/parrallel switch (like the switch on the warwick $$).

Edited by simon1964

GK - £350 is a great price for a Tribute L2000 - that's their secondhand value in the UK. Go for it, they're are great basses.

Need a testimony? I gig mine most weekends! You can get Stingray bite, Jazz honk and P bass thump in one bass which is also light and comfortable to play. It was apparently Leo Fender's favourite bass design as it combines the best bits of the others he created.

Only con is that the necks have that cheap bleached wood look. Can't really think of any others.

Edit: the controls look complicated but are quite simple. Pickups and electrics are US made.

1. Pickup selector - neck/neck+bridge/bridge
2. Series/parallel switch
3. Active switch - passive/active/active boost

I usually have both pickups on and the active on, but not boosted. Sounds great.

Edited by stingrayfan

From the nature of your earlier posts, you've played it, right? And it sounds and feels good?
£350? Sounds like a good price for an instrument that sounds and feels good, irrespective of what make it is and what you want it for!
Ultimately the value judgement that everyone makes is;
"Is the instrument in my hands worth the money that the vendor wants for it?"
That's the principal criterion I use when purchasing. Naturally I bear in mind the intended use for said instrument, and whether or not it is "fit for purpose" in that context.
If you get a bargain, then great, but perhaps that shouldn't be anyone's main motivation to buy- unless you intend to sell the bass on for a profit, of course!

Not intending to be snotty or critical! I'm (desperately) trying to be objective!!

If you like it, buy it! (works for me...)

This thread cracked me up!

Ask for advice and throw your toys out the pram when you don't get it quick enough!

Am I better off overpaying on my mortgage given we're on a tracker, or should I put the extra money available due to a low interest rate into an ISA?

Quick. The Meter's running you bastards!