Why become a member? ×

Bass Guitar Magazine

xilddx

[quote name='ezbass' post='784838' date='Mar 24 2010, 04:12 PM']Mine's just arrived and a quick flick through looks like it might be a good one. That EBS combo looks very tempting.[/quote]

I was quite staggered about how good that little combo is. When I first tried it, I assumed it would be a bit farty, a bit underpowered etc... but it really is a gem.

Got a copy now, looking forward to reading Mike's interview.

Haven't had a chance for a good look through yet (although I've had a good look at Melissa Auf der Maur, and I'm not usually one for ogling women... :) ), but it looks like there's plenty in there. Hooray!

One niggle (it's becoming a monthly tradition for me :rolleyes: ): I know Ms Auf der Maur has a lower-case "d" on "der"... but when it's set all-caps? Really? MELISSA AUF dER MAUR looks really, really odd on the cover. OK, that's major, major nit-picking, but it's the first thing I saw.

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='785706' date='Mar 25 2010, 12:18 PM']Haven't had a chance for a good look through yet (although I've had a good look at Melissa Auf der Maur, and I'm not usually one for ogling women... :) ), but it looks like there's plenty in there. Hooray!

One niggle (it's becoming a monthly tradition for me :rolleyes: ): I know Ms Auf der Maur has a lower-case "d" on "der"... but when it's set all-caps? Really? MELISSA AUF dER MAUR looks really, really odd on the cover. OK, that's major, major nit-picking, but it's the first thing I saw.[/quote]

The first thing?
:lol:

I found this issue really dissapointing. Just my opinion but too many players I have little interest in and not a big enough variety of gear.

And somehow the mag feels like a Warwick Brochure. Those Germans obviously have a decent marketing spend!

[quote name='OldGit' post='786334' date='Mar 25 2010, 09:06 PM']The first thing?
:)[/quote]
Well, there's a certain Mr Jackson taking up a large proportion of the cover... but yeah. The first thing. My eye's drawn to oddness and errors, and that was like a magnet.

[quote name='Moos3h' post='786339' date='Mar 25 2010, 09:08 PM']And somehow the mag feels like a Warwick Brochure.[/quote]
This I would agree with. Their "sound of wood" is becoming deafening in print.

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='786417' date='Mar 25 2010, 10:27 PM']Well, there's a certain Mr Jackson taking up a large proportion of the cover...[/quote]
BTW, his Fodera must be absolutely [i]massive[/i]! I mean, it looks big on him, and he's a biiiig guy.

And no, "Fodera" isn't a euphemism. Not in this case, anyway.

TBH all this Warwick advertising just puts me off Warwick and its products all together...decent issue I thought. That EBS combo looks great but again, what's with all the expensive bass reviews? Fair enough they had an Ibanez and they are always good value for money but is anyone going to buy those Warwick's/Esh's? The Warwick's are £3k each aren't they?!

I won't be renewing my subscription I'm afraid, I just don't like the fairly elitest feel the mag has. It may not be deliberate, but given the large amount of beginners, bedroom warriors, weekend gig pirates and general non session-playing musos why does every issue have to be so dry and 'pro' feeling.

I feel like I'm reading a trade publication when I read it. Others may find that good, but I find the lack of variety and dry done rather dull.

As much as I detest the price and free coaster with every issue, Oyster House should pay attention to what Guitarist are doing. They've made that magazine readable again.

[quote name='Stan_da_man' post='786709' date='Mar 26 2010, 10:36 AM']TBH all this Warwick advertising just puts me off Warwick and its products all together...[/quote]

Why? Because it's professional and there's a lot of it? Nothing wrong with spending money on decent marketing to help create a sustainable business. They are brilliant instruments too, with proper quality control.

[quote name='silddx' post='786736' date='Mar 26 2010, 11:03 AM']Why? Because it's professional and there's a lot of it? Nothing wrong with spending money on decent marketing to help create a sustainable business. They are brilliant instruments too, with proper quality control.[/quote]

But when something is rammed down your throat as much as Warwick stuff is (the guitar mags are the same, particular Guitar Buyer and Guitar mag), it gets a little wearing.

Don't get me wrong, no problem with their gear although it's not really my bag, but I agree with the other poster that too much advertising can turn you off a product.

Cheers,
James

I also found this month's issue rather boring. I appreciate different bassists/gear are interesting to different readers but I literally flicked through this in 2 or 3 minutes and thought it very uninteresting. It will be in the recycling pile before very long. The EBS combo was the only thing that caught my eye in the gear reviews. Slight exaggeration but when will BGM give anything in the gear review section a score that isn't 4/5?

[quote name='Moos3h' post='786739' date='Mar 26 2010, 11:04 AM']But when something is rammed down your throat as much as Warwick stuff is (the guitar mags are the same, particular Guitar Buyer and Guitar mag), it gets a little wearing.

Cheers,
James[/quote]
Eurgh, I hate that expression. Puts me in mind of Daily Mail readers who, through some twisted evolution, have lost their ability to switch off the television.

Flip the page man, to Melissa.

[quote name='silddx' post='786782' date='Mar 26 2010, 11:39 AM']Eurgh, I hate that expression. Puts me in mind of Daily Mail readers who, through some twisted evolution, have lost their ability to switch off the television.

Flip the page man, to Melissa.[/quote]

...but when you've paid for those pages, and they are increasingly irrelevant, then you're only choice is to cease to pay for those pages, no?

I'm not trying to strike up social change, just explaining one of the main reasons I increasingly find BGM a very dull read.

[quote name='Moos3h' post='786802' date='Mar 26 2010, 11:56 AM']...but when [b]you've paid for those pages[/b], and they are increasingly irrelevant, then you're only choice is to cease to pay for those pages, no?

I'm not trying to strike up social change, just explaining one of the main reasons I increasingly find BGM a very dull read.[/quote]

Much as I dislike seeing Jonas Bleedin' Hellborg yet again all over my bass mag, and have no desire to ever own anything Warwick, I have to point out that [b]they[/b] are the people who really pay for the pages you are reading..
Your fiver wouldn't keep it in production very long ...

Maybe you find it dull because of Basschat? Most of what would go in a magazine is here already.
The reviews weren't great but then why bother with reviews full stop? It won't make me buy anything as everything is there on the Internet to see already. In what way is there an elitist whiff to this issue (or any other one)?

Si, I take your point about how it works, I'm under no illusion that advertising revenue is largely how these things are funded but conversely when circulation drops, advertisers will become less interested, it's a symbiotic relationship and a balance should be struck.

Naive? Possibly, but I still don't believe I owe anything to the mag to struggle through pages of the same stuff that doesn't appeal. I apply the same thing to their choices of gear to review.

They aren't going to please everyone, it's impossible. They'll lose me as a customer, pick up some other guy and carry on regardless. No-one will be losing any sleep over it.

Cheers,
James

[quote name='Clarky' post='786753' date='Mar 26 2010, 11:16 AM']Slight exaggeration but when will BGM give anything in the gear review section a score that isn't 4/5?[/quote]

I find the rating score useless. They should ditch the ratings and just make the text more meaningful. I'm sure what the mag really think of their chosen review item can be revealed in the text.

[quote name='silddx' post='786782' date='Mar 26 2010, 11:39 AM']Eurgh, I hate that expression. Puts me in mind of Daily Mail readers who, through some twisted evolution, have lost their ability to switch off the television.

Flip the page man, to Melissa.[/quote]

Why? Is she having something rammed down her throat too?

Seriously, anybody is allowed to advertise if they pay their fee... If Warwick's approach is mass marketing, fair play to them. Whether it actually works or not, well, that's debateable. As seen here, there will always be the Warwick haters, lovers... and those that just don't care and just apprecitate that there is still a bass magazine in production. Each to their own.

You know I really, really want to like BGM but I find it amazing that almost every single month I spot a glaring error.

If I let so many copy mistakes go out in my job I would be bounced out the door very quickly.

Interesting to see that Euphonic amps now have a 12 band graphic, a dual on-board compressor and valve drive option plus pre-shapes that can all be controlled by a footswitch.

I bet Trace Elliot are checking their design patents already. . .

[quote name='Stan_da_man' post='786709' date='Mar 26 2010, 11:36 AM']but is anyone going to buy those Warwick's/Esh's? The Warwick's are £3k each aren't they?![/quote]
The Esh Stinger II is next on my list... so I was looking forward to reading the review. Which wasn't quite as useful as I'd hoped...

But fair point on the featured Warwick's... is anyone going to spend nearly SIX grand on a Streamer decorated with a kid's painting??? Although we'd complain if they weren't in BGM, and I guess it's interesting to see what's out there.

Oddly, all the basses this month got 4 out of 5 stars. Which must mean that the TM Warwick is amazing and justifies it's silly price tag???

• 4 weeks later...

Just picked up this months, Gail Anne Dorsey on the cover, cant wait to have a read tonight with my feet up and a brew! W&T Ergon on review looks tasty too. I bloomin love this magazine.

Edited by NJE

[quote name='NJE' post='821903' date='Apr 28 2010, 02:03 PM']Just picked up this months, Gail Anne Dorseyon the cover, cant wait to have a read tonight with my feet up and a brew! W&T Ergon on review looks tasty too. I bloomin love this magazine.[/quote]

See if you can beat my record of cover to cover in 20 mins :)

I wonder if any of the editorial team know of this threads' existence?

Cheers,
James

Just to save you all a lot of money and time: Bilbo's patented universal bass player interview:

'I started playing the bass at aged (*insert age here), after my (brother/sister/father/mother * delete as appropriate)) bought a bass and left it lying around. I picked it up and immedaitely began playing lines from the songs I was hearing on the radio, songs by (The Beatles, Rolling Stones, David Bowie, Motown artists, Pearl Jam, Stone Roses) * delete as appropriate). I was hooked. I had decided that this was what I wanted to do with my life. I joined a local band and after (insert number here) gigs, I got the chance to play with (* insert random artist here). It was as a result of that opportunity that I got the (* insert another random artist here) gig and became the player you hear today.

I prefer (*insert bass manufacturer ere) basses but I have my basses modified by (*insert random luthier here) to my specification. I prefer (*insert random pick up) pick-ups and a (*insert manufacturer) here but I have to stress that the sound is in your hands and not in the mechanics of the bass. Amps-wise, I prefer (*insert random manufacturer here) because of their (warmth/clarity/general awesomeness * delete as appropriate)

Whilst recording the (*insert randon cd title) CD, I went direct into the desk and simultaneously miked the speaker up with a (*insert random microphone manufacturer here) microphone. I used a little compression and a touch of reverb but otherwise the signal is clean. I don’t like cluttering up my bass sound with unecessary bells and whistles. I like it pure.

Influences include (* insert a list of random artists here). It is difficult to explain where the feel comes from. If you need to have it explained, you’ll never understand it. My advice to people starting on the bass? Practice, practice, practice.'

Now, start saving the money you no longer need to spend on magazines and study music. Not musicians, not gear, not the music business. Music - scales, chords, melody, harmony, rhythm. Everything else is entirely interchangeable.