Why become a member? ×

Bass Guitar Magazine

xilddx

[quote name='NJE' post='731823' date='Feb 1 2010, 03:26 PM'].. and loved the pictures of their Cat, he/she looks lovely (sorry big cat lover).

Brilliant mag and just getting better and better IMHO.[/quote]
Yeah, AJ is a lovely cat. He was very happy for me to pick him up and play while I had a chat with Martin in the workshop. Don't be sorry about being a cat lover mate! I've got four sharing my house.

[quote name='NJE' post='731823' date='Feb 1 2010, 03:26 PM']I actually read the article on The Bass Gallery/Sei last night and absolutely loved it. I have been fascinated with Sei and their basses for almost as long as I have been playing so it was a real treat. Just looking at the pictures made me day dream about building guitars and having a basement full of tools and bass parts.

Anyway brilliant article and written by one of our own which is superb. I also have to say that the 6 string in the pictures looked stunning (does it belong to anyone on here?) and loved the pictures of their Cat, he/she looks lovely (sorry big cat lover).

Brilliant mag and just getting better and better IMHO.[/quote]

Thanks fella - glad you enjoyed it so much

Mike

Bloody good issue, brownie points all round. But I can't work out quite why Nick Wells got so excited about the "innovative" bridge on the Dingwall bass... someone should tell him just how long separate bridge units have been available!
And yes, I would very much like to try a Dingwall too now..!

Martin says nice things about you as well Mike!!

Current issue does seem to have more than the usual number of typos - perhaps Christmas got in the way?

Bass Gallery is London's hidden gem - forget Denmark St, just take the tube to Camden and sink into bass heaven.

Then, when you have recovered, talk to Alex about Epifani cabs - superb!!!!

[quote name='silddx' post='731905' date='Feb 1 2010, 04:46 PM']It was excellent, Mike, I really enjoyed reading it too.

I don't want to swell your balls too much but you are the best writer BGM have.[/quote]

... oh, my poor plums...! :)

Thanks dude

M

[quote name='Phil Mann' post='730268' date='Jan 31 2010, 03:38 AM']Just to set the record straight,
"and performing with a Pat Metheny Big Band", as apposed too, "and performing with Pat Metheny's Big Band"...whoops!

There is, as you've guessed, a slight difference in the two statements. Although the big band are still fantastic and I can't wait to hopefully get back in the seat in the near future![/quote]
Still a little baffled here... is that an ensemble that plays the music of Pat Metheny in the big band style, but doesn't feature Pat Metheny at all? If so... that sounds class! Any videos/clips on the web anywhere?

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='732791' date='Feb 2 2010, 12:17 PM']Still a little baffled here... is that an ensemble that plays the music of Pat Metheny in the big band style, but doesn't feature Pat Metheny at all? If so... that sounds class! Any videos/clips on the web anywhere?[/quote]
Yes, Pat just gets in the bloody way.

[quote name='Clarky' post='732829' date='Feb 2 2010, 12:45 PM']Its all that hair[/quote]
Well he started losing it and made up the difference with strings ..

When I saw the thumbnail of this, I thought it was that geezer from the Wurzels romancing a large chicken

Edited by silddx

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='732791' date='Feb 2 2010, 12:17 PM']Still a little baffled here... is that an ensemble that plays the music of Pat Metheny in the big band style, but doesn't feature Pat Metheny at all? If so... that sounds class! Any videos/clips on the web anywhere?[/quote]

Yes (mainly from the drummer's perspective but sounds great anyway):

They gig a lot around London - I should know I keep listing them in Time Out...

M

• 3 weeks later...

Bit late to the party but only picked up a copy today. Promised myself I wouldn't but glad I did. Brilliant issue.

Maybe it's because I've been on here so much lately I'm understanding a lot more, but I didn't feel 'at arms length'.

Thoroughly enjoyed the read especially the piece of Duff and JPJ. That article by that Mike Flynn bloke though really stank. :lol: :lol: :)
That's going to get me a warning isn't it, it was a joke, honest. :rolleyes: I really loved the look of Martin Petersen's workshop, with cat of course.

Edited by Marvin

I see the East P bass pre amp is featured in there, good to see that this has finally happened, although I'm a bit surprised it wasn't "officially" announced here first as many BCers made approving noises about the prototype. Back to BGM, didn't they interview Dave Holland a while back? And next month they're reviewing a T M Stevens signature (admittedly a different brand), hmm deja vu thy name is BGM. Still a good mag though.

Steady on chaps, I've only just bought the copy with JPJ on the cover and now we're onto the next one which I probably won't see for another couple of weeks. Really.

It's getting more and more difficult to find BGM in the newsagents where I live. It's migrated to next to the Tattoo mags, which are next to the smutty mags. It's becoming quite uncomfortable finding it lately. :)

Is the new issue out of is it just subscribers that have had it?

After mouthing off about how good my local Smiths was they have not got it yet. To make things worse last night I went to re-read last months issue and my missus has thrown it out with all her old OK magazines. I hadn't read a couple of the articles either :) Going to have to beg at Smiths to see if they have a copy out the back because no sign of any on the shelves yesterday.

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone get the latest copy?
Quite good actually - I thought the Anthony Jackson interview was very well done - insightful (bearing in mind he's done a handful of interviews in 25 years) and interesting. He gets quite a bit of bad press here for his rather forthright views but I think in an age where technique seems to be more important than the music he is still up there with the very best. After hearing Al Di Meola's Race With The Devil On The Spanish Highway a long time ago I realised what can be done with an electric bass and a pick, but's it was only when I came across the Chaka Khan albums with Anthony's brilliant playing on them that I got inspired to play pickstyle too - and I'm glad I did because it really sounds great for certain things.
The only slight flub is that I'm pretty sure Michel Camilo isn't European - I think he's from the Dominican republic?
Good mix of other interviewees and always like the Basically Speaking bit.

The reviews were OK, except that of all Warwicks to choose I doubt whether 99% of BGM's readership would even consider two £4K+ signature models... how about the new Pro Series from Korea? After all, they moved production to a cheaper part of the world and put the prices up by typically 30% :)
Not a fan of Esh admittedly, but the article and reviews were pretty good.
Overall I think the content and professionalism of the mag is getting better month by month.

IMHO it's getting better by the month but I still don't understand why in a country with a great many fine luthiers making custom basses the Woodshed series has featured a couple of US based ones.
Leave them to Bass Player and show of the Great British Luthiers, I reckon.

[quote name='XB26354' post='784153' date='Mar 23 2010, 11:15 PM']Anyone get the latest copy?
Quite good actually - I thought the Anthony Jackson interview was very well done - insightful (bearing in mind he's done a handful of interviews in 25 years) and interesting. He gets quite a bit of bad press here for his rather forthright views but I think in an age where technique seems to be more important than the music he is still up there with the very best. After hearing Al Di Meola's Race With The Devil On The Spanish Highway a long time ago I realised what can be done with an electric bass and a pick, but's it was only when I came across the Chaka Khan albums with Anthony's brilliant playing on them that I got inspired to play pickstyle too - and I'm glad I did because it really sounds great for certain things.
The only slight flub is that I'm pretty sure Michel Camilo isn't European - I think he's from the Dominican republic?
Good mix of other interviewees and always like the Basically Speaking bit.[/quote]

hey

Glad to hear the Jackson feature reads well - I haven't seen the finished article myself - and I'll claim responsibility for the Camillo mistake - that'll be my bad.... I'm looking forward to seeing this now!

Cheers

Mike