Why become a member? ×

NPD - filter fun

ped

I have had so many versions of the FX25 - most people say the avocado green version is the best but I've always preferred these ones. I just bought this one from @E sharp and it's in brand new condition and sounds fantastic. Regardless of all the boutique filters I have tried and still have, the squelch and unique rubbery feel of the FX25 really is in a class all of it's own!

It's good to have one back in the stable after extensively gigging my old one back in my Uni days! 

IMG_8244.jpeg

• Like 2

Is that the one off the Flea instructional video? If it is I had one and sold it, stupidly. Very usable sounds, lots of range to choose from in that little box. They go for silly money now but I think I got mine for 25 quid or something 10plus years back! 

2 minutes ago, uk_lefty said:

Is that the one off the Flea instructional video? If it is I had one and sold it, stupidly. Very usable sounds, lots of range to choose from in that little box. They go for silly money now but I think I got mine for 25 quid or something 10plus years back! 

Yes that's the one. I think that's probably where I first saw it, too. After buying one cheap and selling it in favour of the 'better' flat green model, I bought a sparkly one again, then sold it for a super early one, then sold that one... I just didn't think the earlier ones had the same 'wetness' to them.

I dearly love my 3Leaf Wonderlove because of the way it 'wobbles', my Funk-U-Lator because of the synth octave part which goes into the filter and I quite enjoy a Bassballs, too - but the FX25 has that 'growl' on the bass notes which nothing else seems to be able to replicate.

I experienced volume drop with some of the ones I've had but this one seems fine - I run it into a limiter to tame the big bass spike as the filter closes but if anything I'm pretty sure it's overall louder then the clean signal.

I'll try and do a video now that I've sort of worked out how to do a decent one!

• Like 1

The old FX25 is a really cool filter. Yes it has a bit of a volume drop, but I can deal with it because it sounds ace. I've had the FX25B for years, but I recently picked up one like yours really cheap, and it sounds far better.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I saw this very unusual really pale green FX25 for sale and jumped on it. I had one like this which was a bit older and a darker green which I didn't like much, so it made perfect sense to buy one(!)

Happy to report that this 1983 model has all the quack and rubbery feel of the sparkle version, but it's easier to 'overdrive' the low end (and by that Mean push the filter into a fat burpy warble). 

People tend to love or hate the fx25. One thing about it more than any other filter I’ve had is that you really need to ‘play’ it to get the best from it. It’s super sensitive to input, including bass type and playing dynamics. I still think it’s the most rubbery sounding filter and like I keep saying nothing else squelches and farts when you dig in like this does. I will try and do a video comparing all my filters 👍🏼

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lee650 said:

I've never tried this filter! Definately on my "to buy" list  id love to hear a demo Ped 😁

With all the pedals you've had, I thought you'd have had one of these at some point?

I love old DOD pedals, and the FX25 is a bit of a classic.

• Like 1

On 20/08/2021 at 21:17, Doddy said:

With all the pedals you've had, I thought you'd have had one of these at some point?

I love old DOD pedals, and the FX25 is a bit of a classic.

Lol!! I know mate, you're right. I'm really surprised I've not picked one up. I've a couple of mates,that have had one and they sounded fantastic.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, lee650 said:

Lol!! I know mate, you're right. I'm really surprised I've not picked one up. I've a couple of mates,that have had one and they sounded fantastic.

I had the FX25b (about 3 of them) - I preferred the QTron, but wish I’d kept the last FX25b as a variation on sound - much more “quack” than anything I’ve had.

Current MXR Auto Q seems to do a bit of both, so I’ll live.

• Like 1