Why become a member? ×

You must surely like at least ONE song of theirs

19 minutes ago, Barking Spiders said:

I think Nirvana deserve the kudos that came their way but Alice in Chains were/are numero uno

Nirvana were I the right place at the right time and were more accessible for the average person than grunge bands with roots in metal like Alice On Chains or the Hardcore roots of Mudhoney and Tad 

9 hours ago, Nail Soup said:

Still on the Doors....... in some cases, for sure the first album, (and for sure not for Jerry Scheff )the bassist simply doubled the keyboard bass.

IMO this gave a great feel to the first Album...... strange repetitive  left-hand lines going on which a real bass player probably would not have played.

Jerry talks about this period in “way on down”, his autobiography 

20 minutes ago, StickyDBRmf said:

I have an anecdote. My postal delivery person walked up to me one day, handed me my mail, removed his earbuds, and said, "Every band has at least one good song. Except Bon Jovi." 

Now that’s funny.

Wish our postal delivery was funny, not some very pleasant, red haired and attractive female kind :(

2 minutes ago, MHMSWC#03 said:

In and Out of Love is alright ...

No it's not.

I'm allowed. I grew up 5 miles from the chap, and he mentions my girlfriends father in one of his songs. (Hey Coach T., I finally cut my hair)

Apparently The Coach always told Bongiovi to get a haircut. The Coach doesn't say anything to me.

I want to say I find his altruistic work Extremely Commendable. (Habitat for Humanity, his soup kitchens) but his music? Meh.

2 minutes ago, StickyDBRmf said:

No it's not.

I'm allowed. I grew up 5 miles from the chap, and he mentions my girlfriends father in one of his songs. (Hey Coach T., I finally cut my hair)

Yes is it.

Did I not read this anecdote before in the tribute band thread or am I imagining it??

1 minute ago, MHMSWC#03 said:

Yes is it.

Did I not read this anecdote before in the tribute band thread or am I imagining it??

Probably. I've written about the song mention before. But a Bon Jovi tribute band would be a sad thing.

It's just unfortunate that I have two famous artists from New Jersey that I can't stand, but are actually quite nice blokes.

I've tried to warm up to "The Boss" but just can't. 

I don't like cats either. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, StickyDBRmf said:

Oh no. Let's not start that.

It's the owners that get on my nerves.....

You mean …”Oh look at my little baby…yes, the one with the constant fur-drop problem, razor sharp ciaws, and furniture destruction habit” well he doesn’t mean it really … and then there’s the whole ‘slaughtering that family of voles thing’ well they probably goaded him into it… I mean he wouldn’t hurt a fly with those viciously sharp teeth and foul breath problem” he’s so cute …

Edited by Geek99

We have a "TV celebrity chef" here in the States named Bobby Flay. I interviewed with him when he had a restaurant in NYC. The man is completeley full of himself. (Oh that's right - he's a CHEF). I saw him on tv recently he was preparing something in his home kitchen and his cat was WALKING ON THE KITCHEN COUNTER.

So happy he didn't hire me. I probably would have lasted a day or two. Before I stabbed him and went to jail.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, StickyDBRmf said:

We have a "TV celebrity chef" here in the States named Bobby Flay. I interviewed with him when he had a restaurant in NYC. The man is completeley full of himself. (Oh that's right - he's a CHEF). I saw him on tv recently he was preparing something in his home kitchen and his cat was WALKING ON THE KITCHEN COUNTER.

🤮

17 minutes ago, StickyDBRmf said:

So happy he didn't hire me. I probably would have lasted a day or two. Before I stabbed him and went to jail.

Gross - I grew up on a farm and even I think that’s gross - it’s walking on his counters, with its paws covered with drool and the lovely aftertaste of butt.  
I have Labradors that enjoy eating anything and everything but they are still less gross than a cat by a country mile 

Edited by Geek99

9 hours ago, SteveXFR said:

I generally don't like Rolling Stones. I don't think they're bad, just can't get excited about their music. There's just two exception, Street Fighting Man and Paint It Black. I think both of them are fantastic songs.

Nirvana are another band I feel that way about. Most of it I could take or leave but Love Buzz and Territorial Pissings are brilliant. Maybe it's because I never felt their music really represented grunge that well and that Tad, Mudhoney and Melvins deserved a lot of the recognition Nirvana got.

I actually like Nirvana now. At the time I was totally indifferent and as you mentioned just wondered how they generated so much hype when bands like Mudhoney, Pixies etc were barely acknowledged. I remember listening to one gushing review saying they would have a bigger impact than Hendrix. Now I can just listen to them as I would like to have at the time. Just a bunch of blokes with some good tunes and a great sound. 

Grunge is just another pigeon hole term. I mean how can Pearl Jam and Nirvana and Alice n Chains all be the same? All you had to do to be considered grunge was be from Seattle in the early 90's and be a rock band. I just like music because I like it.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, ubit said:

Grunge is just another pigeon hole term. I mean how can Pearl Jam and Nirvana and Alice n Chains all be the same? All you had to do to be considered grunge was be from Seattle in the early 90's and be a rock band. I just like music because I like it.

Pearl Jam only ever made one grunge album and that was Vs. The rest of their music was just hard rock. 

Grunge was definitely a style of heavy rock with its own sound but there were a lot of bands who became part of the scene who didn't have that sound 

10 hours ago, StickyDBRmf said:

No it's not.

Apparently The Coach always told Bongiovi to get a haircut. The Coach doesn't say anything to me.

I want to say I find his altruistic work Extremely Commendable. (Habitat for Humanity, his soup kitchens) but his music? Meh.

Yeah , sometimes there are sound people who are philanthropic, eco-friendly and with good personal politics but who make music I dislike and I feel sort of guilty not liking it, JBJ being one of them and Springsteen and Neil Young among others

Edited by Barking Spiders

8 minutes ago, Barking Spiders said:

Yeah , sometimes there are sound people who are philanthropic, eco-friendly and with good personal politics but who make music I dislike and I feel sort of guilty not liking it, JBJ being one of them and Springsteen and Neil Young among others

I don’t feel guilty. If we all liked the same things the world would be a very dull place.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ubit said:

My understanding of 'grunge'  is that it's less a description of the music and more to do with the punkish reaction against the corporate AOR and spandex & hair bands that dominated US rock in the 80s. A bit like 70s punk which again was more defined by attitude than a musical style.

3 minutes ago, Ricky Rioli said:

😁  it should sound like you're glad you can't smell it.

Absolutely spot on!

Last time I went to a grunge gig was Mudhoney in 2018 and it was just as explosive as I remember in the 90's. I did manage to inhale a dreadlock in the mosh pit. Very unpleasant. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1