Why become a member? ×

You must surely like at least ONE song of theirs

5 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

I’m with you on that ubit, I have to turn the radio off if he’s on 

People used to go on about how his shows were legendary as he would play for like 4 hours or something. That used to put me cold. Even if I was seeing a band I liked I couldn't stand that long.

Surely a music is music and a song is a song. Arrangements of notes, rhythms etc

If you don't like something just because it's by a certain band, or person it's the aesthetics you don't like and you aren't giving the song a chance.

As musician we should have a more receptive, open view.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Maybe I’ll give him another go. Any recommendations?

It depends what Neil Young you want to hear. He is prolific putting out some diamonds and some abomination. Harvest, After the Goldrush for the more reflective singer-songwriter stuff and maybe Rust Never Sleeps for what he and Crazy Horse could do live?

40 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

Love The Doors.

If you want some incite into the songs get "An American Prayer"....

Yep me too. I don’t think they are as appreciated as much as they deserve in the UK. For some reason the stripped back, rawness of the LA Woman album is always my go to. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Lord Sausage said:

Surely a music is music and a song is a song. Arrangements of notes, rhythms etc

If you don't like something just because it's by a certain band, or person it's the aesthetics you don't like and you aren't giving the song a chance.

As musician we should have a more receptive, open view.

I’d agree up to a point, but with both Bob Dylan and Van Morrison the big drawback for me is I really don’t like either of their voices so really don’t listen to their music.

There is the odd song of theirs that I can get past (as referenced in previous post) but the sound of their voices is something I’ve never been able to get past… 

6 minutes ago, Old Man Riva said:

I’d agree up to a point, but with both Bob Dylan and Van Morrison the big drawback for me is I really don’t like either of their voices so really don’t listen to their music.

There is the odd song of theirs that I can get past (as referenced in previous post) but the sound of their voices is something I’ve never been able to get past… 

Think of it as story telling, theatre or spoken word poetry. Leonard Cohen and Tom Waits have voices like a worn out shoe but what they deliver is the timeless. There are plenty of folks with great voices but sod all to say and no memorable tune to say it within.

Same with Shane McGowan. I have heard drunks at closing time sing better but he can pen a magnificent tune with poetic lyrics.

Edited by tegs07
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, tegs07 said:

Think of it as story telling, theatre or spoken word poetry. Leonard Cohen and Tom Waits have voices like a worn out shoe but what they deliver is the timeless. There are plenty of folks with great voices but sod all to say and no memorable tune to say it within.

I’ve tried, believe me I’ve tried!

Just can’t get past their respective voices. I know both are wonderful songwriters, but… the voices!

I’m a big fan of the early Happy Mondays stuff. Safe to say Shaun Ryder wouldn’t be winning any awards for his vocals but I really like them and his lyrics.

Different strokes, and all that… 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Old Man Riva said:

I’ve tried, believe me I’ve tried!

Just can’t get past their respective voices. I know both are wonderful songwriters, but… the voices!

I’m a big fan of the early Happy Mondays stuff. Safe to say Shaun Ryder wouldn’t be winning any awards for his vocals but I really like them and his lyrics.

Different strokes, and all that… 

Dylan’s voice never bothered me. That f£&@k1!? Harmonica on the other hand.

2 hours ago, ubit said:

I am no fan of his voice or music but admit to quite liking "The days of Pearly Spencer".

Strangely enough I quite like his voice, or maybe the tone of his voice. It’s the pitch thing that prevents me from being able to listen, especially live. 

Coldplay - can’t be doing with any of their stuff. Caught a bit of their ‘gig’ at Whitby Abbey on BBC last night, lasted about 5 mins. Just something about the songs and the format which leave me cold, maybe just not my demographic? Sterile soulless delivery with too many ‘whoa whoa’ type singalong bits. I don’t know anyone who owns up to enjoying them, yet someone must as they are so successful. Again, horses for courses etc. ( Chris Martin seems like a nice fella too. )

59 minutes ago, casapete said:

Strangely enough I quite like his voice, or maybe the tone of his voice. It’s the pitch thing that prevents me from being able to listen, especially live. 

Coldplay - can’t be doing with any of their stuff. Caught a bit of their ‘gig’ at Whitby Abbey on BBC last night, lasted about 5 mins. Just something about the songs and the format which leave me cold, maybe just not my demographic? Sterile soulless delivery with too many ‘whoa whoa’ type singalong bits. I don’t know anyone who owns up to enjoying them, yet someone must as they are so successful. Again, horses for courses etc. ( Chris Martin seems like a nice fella too. )

If Motörhead are the Bourbon of rock music then Coldplay are the Horlicks. I am sure they are nice blokes but a visit to IKEA is more rock and roll.

Edit: Apologies if I have offended any Horlicks drinkers with this post. Any members of Coldplay if you feel offended please just check your latest bank statements then just laugh at me. Your clearly doing something right.

Edited by tegs07
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Old Man Riva said:

Viz Morrison the other main drawback if he's somewhat of an a-hole.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Ricky Rioli said:

I remember Noel Gallagher's unconvincing attempt to roll back his estimation of them as "bedwetters" 

I am conflicted by this...

on the one hand it always seemed to me like a fair and succinct summation of Coldplay...

on the other, Noel and his delightful sibling seem to me to be the very epitome of bedsh..ters !!

• Like 2