Why become a member? ×

You must surely like at least ONE song of theirs

4 hours ago, SteveXFR said:

I'm with you on the Sex Pistols. They were just a bit cheesy. Ramones were OK but once you've heard one of their songs you've heard them all

For me, the greats of 70's punk were The Clash, The Damned, The Ruts and The Stranglers. I'm also a big fan of Dead Kennedys and Misfits but I think they're 80's

With you all the way there but no Buzzcocks or SLF?. Been a long time of the DK's and was playing Give Me Convenience or Give me Death in the car today

I just can't get into prog at all, not the 70s bands big time or cult, nor anything since. That said when some of the 70s UK proggers changed tack that's another matter. Up to the Belew-Levin era I can't take King Crimson but Discipline is a cracker.

Edited by Barking Spiders

33 minutes ago, Barking Spiders said:

With you all the way there but no Buzzcocks or SLF?. Been a long time of the DK's and was playing Give Me Convenience or Give me Death in the car today

I just can't get into prog at all, not the 70s bands big time or cult, nor anything since. That said when some of the 70s UK proggers changed tack that's another matter. Up to the Belew-Levin era I can't take King Crimson but Discipline is a cracker.

As far as I can tell, prog is complicated for the sake of being complicated. I dislike Joe Satriani, Joe Bonamassa and Jaco Pistorious for the same reason. 

I guess punk is the absolute opposite. Simple, to the point and effective. 

3 minutes ago, SteveXFR said:

As far as I can tell, prog is complicated for the sake of being complicated. I dislike Joe Satriani, Joe Bonamassa and Jaco Pistorious for the same reason. 

I guess punk is the absolute opposite. Simple, to the point and effective. 

Maybe it's a function of whether one enjoys jumping up and down or sitting quietly and listening..? :/

7 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

Maybe it's a function of whether one enjoys jumping up and down or sitting quietly and listening..? :/

I don't think so. I listen to music a lot while sat at my desk working or while just sat doing nothing and I still think it's just pointless, fancy rubbish and half the tapping and fancy stuff isn't really adding to it as a piece of music. To me a ot of it just feels crowbared in. I feel the same about YouTube slappers playing a million notes a minute while sounding like a filing cabinet falling down a fire escape. 

I enjoy punks simplicity and brutality and its honesty. It's just not trying to be fancy.

I do enjoy some more complex music such as Tool, Gojira and Rush but I enjoy them as complete pieces of music rather than just a series of solos which never go anywhere. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SteveXFR said:

...I enjoy punks simplicity and brutality and its honesty. It's just not trying to be fancy...

Are you saying that you actually sit down and listen quietly to punk's simplicity and brutality..? :swoon:

xD :P

18 minutes ago, SteveXFR said:

I don't think so. I listen to music a lot while sat at my desk working or while just sat doing nothing and I still think it's just pointless, fancy rubbish and half the tapping and fancy stuff isn't really adding to it as a piece of music. To me a ot of it just feels crowbared in. I feel the same about YouTube slappers playing a million notes a minute while sounding like a filing cabinet falling down a fire escape. 

I enjoy punks simplicity and brutality and its honesty. It's just not trying to be fancy.

I do enjoy some more complex music such as Tool, Gojira and Rush but I enjoy them as complete pieces of music rather than just a series of solos which never go anywhere. 

Yep, for me listening to/playing music is visceral. I prefer stuff where the music's generally visceral (trance, downtempo, metal, funk, grunge, drum n' bass, punk/new wave/post punk, hip hop) and the lyrics can be sardonic, satirical, acerbic, darkly humourous, anti-establishment or pro environment (Clash, Public Enemy, Dead Kennedys, Gojira, Lamb of God, Rage Against the Machine)

Edited by Barking Spiders

2 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

Are you saying that you actually sit down and listen quietly to punk's simplicity and brutality..? :swoon:

xD :P

Sounds odd but yes. I can sit down with a nice whisky and the dog on my lap (she's a bit of a lump but she insists) and enjoy a lovely bit of New York hardcore or some good old fashioned Oi. 

I've got some Wisdom In Chains on now. Cap City to be precise, great song and based on real events 

• Thanks 1