Why become a member? ×

String Gauges: 45-100 vs 45-105

Stub Mandrel

I got given a song to learn for an audition that had the full-tone bend. With the slightly heavier strings the alternatives were a half-tone bend or a hammer on/off.

I figured out what was happening when I played it on my Squier jazz and it sounded right, but not on my Fender one. Can be done with the heavier string, but not with the required speed and 'fluidity'.

• Like 1

I saw an Andertons clip recently in which, amongst other things, it was suggested that it's easier to bend strings on a short scale.

I suspect that only applies if you haven't got it strung up with large gauge flats though.

53 minutes ago, Cato said:

I saw an Andertons clip recently in which, amongst other things, it was suggested that it's easier to bend strings on a short scale.

I suspect that only applies if you haven't got it strung up with large gauge flats though.

Makes sense, for a given gauge SS strings will have a lower tension and so need less force for a given bend.

I generally use 100-45 EB Hybrid Slinky (pink pack) on my Stingrays - they actually ship with these from the factory so I’ve presumed they think those gauges work best with their basses. Rightly or wrongly, I think they give better string to string balance and avoid the E overpowering the other stings (given the potential to super scoop the sound on a Stingray with the (actually working and quite powerful) EQ) notably the bass and treble controls. 

I even did this with my SR5, using a 125 B through 40 as well. It sounds great to me with those. 

Ive tried heavier gauge and lighter gauge on them as well. The light gauge were particularly good for the mid 80s bass and slap sounds.

Hearing @Stub Mandrel talking about string bends, has anyone ever noticed the fabulous sound created when bending a low note on a Stingray - I sometimes bend the E or A 3 semi tones. Watch it if you’re recording - it’s very fat and loud!!! 😀

• 2 years later...
On 13/05/2021 at 17:07, Supernaut said:

Not at all!

Bigger gauge strings don't equal bigger tone has lots seem to think. 

I beg to differ. Have you ever tried a 30/50/70/90 set? Such a set has a lot of twang but lacks in grunt IMO. The difference between 45-100 and 45-105 is negligable, tried both gauges. I usually buy 45-105's.

I've been using lighter gauge for years now, it really helped reduce tension in my left hand. 40-120 5 string. Furthermore, I use Dunlop Super Brights, which are lower tension than anything else out there, and feel SUPER easy to play, whilst still having monster tone and lasting absolutely ages.

Oli

Edited by TRBboy

On 13/05/2021 at 20:15, Stub Mandrel said:

Hmm... I've ordered a set of each. In still need to make up my mind.

I've had an audition postponed ... if the 105's come in time I might fit them.

I must admit, although I love stainless Rotos and Elites, the Fender nickels seem to keep a great tone for a very long time.

Strange because as much as I really do not like fender basses, i have to agree with you that their bass strings are actually very very good in my experience too.😊

13 hours ago, Treb said:

I beg to differ. Have you ever tried a 30/50/70/90 set? Such a set has a lot of twang but lacks in grunt IMO. The difference between 45-100 and 45-105 is negligable, tried both gauges. I usually buy 45-105's.

Was the bass properly set-up to accommodate the smaller gauge? I've never had issues with extra light gauges. 

1 hour ago, tubbybloke68 said:

Strange because as much as I really do not like fender basses, i have to agree with you that their bass strings are actually very very good in my experience too.😊

They are now made by D'Addarrio. Sadly the flats are just as bad as ever IMHO.