Why become a member? ×

What's a status play like?

Jamesemt

After playing loads of basses I've settled on a Hohner Jack and was wondering if there was something similar but more boutique. Would a Status fit the bill?

The reason I love the Jack is the weight, balance, playability, tuning stability and punchy active electronics. Is this similar to a Status?

Can you buy a Status if you don't slap?

I've got a Status and my slap technique's about as much use as a chocolate teapot. Don't get a fixed '80's slap' idea re Status basses.

Mine's a bolt - on resin necked headless - not sure where you are in East Yorks but if you want to come and not slap mine in Wakefield to try it out , you're welcome.

[quote name='Dr.Dave' post='444844' date='Mar 25 2009, 11:27 AM']I've got a Status and my slap technique's about as much use as a chocolate teapot. Don't get a fixed '80's slap' idea re Status basses.

Mine's a bolt - on resin necked headless - not sure where you are in East Yorks but if you want to come and not slap mine in Wakefield to try it out , you're welcome.[/quote]

I may have to take you up on that!!! Close to finishing a massively stressful course through work which I've been putting off for 7 years (and nearly cost me my marriage and also the band). I always said that if I passed Id buy a new car, but funds dictate that it may just be a bass on the credit card!

What's the starting price for a new one? Is it about £2k?

[quote name='geilerbass' post='444697' date='Mar 25 2009, 08:47 AM']I was wondering the same. I love the look of the S2 Classic, but have never had the opportunity to try one.

I'm assuming the best way to find out is to go down to the factory? Is there a showroom or the like?[/quote]

I've had 5 Status basses in the past, and currently own a S2 Classic 6 string headless. Built quality is excellent, and I've found that I can get just about any sound I want out of the 6er.

If you phone Status beforehand I don't think that there is a problem for you to visit. There is no showroom as such, but Rob always has plenty of basses in his final inspection- set up room for you to try. I can't recommend them enough, all of mine except one were bought brand new from the factory

[quote name='Johngh' post='444868' date='Mar 25 2009, 12:06 PM']I've had 5 Status basses in the past, and currently own a S2 Classic 6 string headless. Built quality is excellent, and I've found that I can get just about any sound I want out of the 6er.

If you phone Status beforehand I don't think that there is a problem for you to visit. There is no showroom as such, but Rob always has plenty of basses in his final inspection- set up room for you to try. I can't recommend them enough, all of mine except one were bought brand new from the factory[/quote]

That's useful to know. I can't find anywhere in London apart from the Gallery that have any in at all, and even they don't have the model(s) that I want to try. May have to see about taking a trip over to Colchester...

I was in the same position as you. I was a poor student and bought the Hohner Jack because I couldn't afford a proper Status. Then when I was 20 I took out a 3 year loan to buy my first Series II. Now I'm nearly 40 and still haven't looked back.

Moving from the Jack to an S2, think in terms of crystal clear piano like tones and a feeling of quality and playability that you don't get anywhere else. I've had lots of other basses but for me nothing cuts it like an S2.

As John mentioned, give the factory a call if you want to try a bass or two, or you're more than welcome to visit me, just on the south side of the Humber Bridge.

Rich.

Jamesemt - good luck with the course and getting your life back (post-qualification).

As others here have said, a Status is definitely not a one-trick, i.e., slap, pony. I've had my Series II from new in around '85 and used it in a very wide range of musical settings for seven or eight years (before giving up playing for money). For me, Status basses have a characteristic and unique tone, but they are versatile - the clarity, power, sustain and harmonic complexity is something to behold. One of the things I noticed is that my playing on a conventional bass was very sloppy - you can't really get away with sloppiness on a Status - they're so responsive, articulate, accurate and true that any errors will ring through somewhat alarmingly.

A few people don't get on with headless designs but I've never found that to be a problem - I can honestly say that my fretting hand has never slipped off the end of the board. Ergonomically, I find the classic status shape (Series II or S2) a delight - the neck has a flattened D profile that is supremely fast and comfortable and the bass as a whole is incredibly well-balanced and reasonably light. If you can, go and try a few and take your credit card - a new Status has got to be a better reward than a car. I've PMd with an offer - it's not an attempt to sell you something.

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='444948' date='Mar 25 2009, 01:16 PM']I've had lots of other basses but for me nothing cuts it like an S2.

Rich.[/quote]

Except maybe a Streamline eh Rich?

Rich is indeed telling the truth - just wish I could get used to headless.....

Edited by martthebass

[quote name='Jamesemt' post='444863' date='Mar 25 2009, 11:58 AM']I may have to take you up on that!!! Close to finishing a massively stressful course through work which I've been putting off for 7 years (and nearly cost me my marriage and also the band). I always said that if I passed Id buy a new car, but funds dictate that it may just be a bass on the credit card!

What's the starting price for a new one? Is it about £2k?[/quote]

The starting price on mine was the £270 it cost me to get it off ebay then the £250 I paid Jon Shuker to refinish it.

Here it is..........

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=3731&hl=Dr.Dave"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...&hl=Dr.Dave[/url]

[quote name='lozbass' post='445002' date='Mar 25 2009, 02:16 PM']That's a beautiful 520 quids worth![/quote]

( removes socks to count toes) er...2 hundred and another 2 hundred then another less thirty plus the forty...no...sixty....er.................

Thanks!!!!

[quote name='Jamesemt' post='444635' date='Mar 25 2009, 07:12 AM']After playing loads of basses I've settled on a Hohner Jack and was wondering if there was something similar but more boutique. Would a Status fit the bill?

The reason I love the Jack is the weight, balance, playability, tuning stability and punchy active electronics. Is this similar to a Status?

Can you buy a Status if you don't slap?[/quote]

MB1. :)
.....Once Bitten Forever Smitten! :D .....Looks like the end of Little Jack Hohner! :rolleyes:

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' post='445267' date='Mar 25 2009, 06:44 PM']:) Wonder why Steinbergers haven't been mentioned. There's not that much difference is there?

Having said that,I'll probably get a 'proper 'Status one day.....[/quote]

No comparison imho! I've got a Steinberger and whilst it is a fine bass, the Status basses I own tend to leave it on the hard shoulder! Mwahaha!

Something about graphite necks turns me right off. I've had one before, on a Fender, and it was just a bit too fake-feeling. I've also played a couple of Status-necked basses recently (and tonnes in the early '90s) that didn't do it for me.

I always put it down to "worn-in" wooden necks feeling more human, but that's probably b***s.