Why become a member? ×

What's a status play like?

Jamesemt

[quote name='tauzero' post='445949' date='Mar 26 2009, 01:19 PM']Are the neck profiles on Statuseses identical (for a given number of strings, anyway)? And how similar is the 5-string neck profile to the Hohner Jack (if anyone should happen to have tried both)?[/quote]

The back of the neck on my Series 2000 is rounder than my other 3 Statii... which are all the same profile.

Owned 2 Status basses, a 4 and a 6er, both headed. Usual Hyperactive electronics. I was in a function band at the time and managed to cover everything from Chic to Deep Purple with them. Great basses, great build quality and not just a slapper's delight (although they do excell at that if you want. If you love the weight of your Jack, try to find an old headed energy (not the energy artiste) Cheap as chips for what they are and weigh nothing.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='445629' date='Mar 26 2009, 02:21 AM']b***s.

[reason for edit: naughty word][/quote]

Couple of issues with this:

1) Not enough asterisks were inserted, giving the impression that the word "balls" is unacceptable. Is it?

2) Whoever got offended enough to do the edit neglected to edit the same word quoted by the guy immediately after me.

[quote name='tauzero' post='445949' date='Mar 26 2009, 01:19 PM']Are the neck profiles on Statuseses identical (for a given number of strings, anyway)? And how similar is the 5-string neck profile to the Hohner Jack (if anyone should happen to have tried both)?[/quote]

The early graphite basses have an almost oblong profile to the neck. Very comfortable as well. The current S2 necks are a little more curved but still have some of that same original oblongoid feel. The KingBass necks are more rounded, but posessing a shallower curve than you'll be used to with the Jack. 5-string Status necks tend to possess a fuller feeling curve. All in all, they're very nice, basically.

Hope that helps, that is if it makes any sense at all!

Rich.

Nice shaped necks....But Ive never quite found the earth-shaking tone I crave...Ive tried Steinys...and Status beat them,great Basses for cleanotone stuff,but the neck will take a tad getting used to,as its not wood... Looks are a bit of a love or hate,but you buy to play not to oogle...

You can pick up a good one 2nd hand for not super mental WAL cash...Buying new wont break the bank...

Or you could wander to Ripon and get Jim Fleeting to make you a Headless like mine.

I have a Hohner Jack 5 string AND a Status S2 classic headless.

I always wanted a headless bass, and the jack seemed like a good option as the reviews were pretty positive. I was a guitarist when I bought it and NOT a bass player, and the neck profile felt extremely chunky and difficult to get to grips with. Toyed around with it for many years but never really got into bass playing.

Fast forward to a few years ago - I always loved the look of the Status basses, and with some spare cash I snapped up one (with LEDs!). It looked such a thing of beauty, but shock! I was used to the Jack now and it felt easier to play than the status! Hovever, the Status was soooo cool that I stuck with it and now it feels 10 times nice than the Hohner bass in terms of playability. To be honest, I don't enjoy playing the hohner much any more, it is so much less enjoyable an experience. I have it at work for the occasional lunchtime noodle.

The Status is great, but it's not my 'holy grail' bass. I don't know what would be - still looking.

I've said it several times but the freedom a headless bass gives me to whirl dervishlike (well...a fat,sloth like dervish who's past his 'best before' date!) about the stage without fear of putting some poor sod's teeth down their throat is quite liberating.

I had a pretty high end Status 5 string. The B was absolutely thunderous. However, I just couldn't get on with the neck profile and the feel of graphite necks isn't for me. No doubt it was a pretty epic bass, but I didn't click with it.

[quote name='MB1' post='447156' date='Mar 27 2009, 01:47 PM']MB1. :)
The Hohner neck is chunkier more rounded too,whereas the Status tends to be flatter backed and a much smoother feel.[/quote]
I find the Hohner a bit too chunky for me, so it sounds as if the Status would be better. Must try one out sometime.

I have a Status Energy 6 string and hate it - it sounds all electrical and stuff. But, basswise, it would appear that I am a one bass man so that Status just hangs there gathering dust.

As for slapping it, the way it plays, I'm just as likely to kick its head in.... :)

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='446599' date='Mar 26 2009, 11:24 PM']Couple of issues with this:

1) Not enough asterisks were inserted, giving the impression that the word "xxxxx" is unacceptable. Is it?

2) Whoever got offended enough to do the edit neglected to edit the same word quoted by the guy immediately after me.[/quote]

The word 'xxxxxxxx' isn't illegal here is it?

'On the album's release, more controversy surrounded the band when police took exception to its title being displayed in a shop window. The Sex Pistols were charged with the Indecent Advertising Act of 1889! "xxxxxxxx" is a slang name for testicles; however, the Pistols' lawyer proved that it was actually derived from a nickname for clergymen. The band were found "reluctantly" not guilty. xxxxxxxxx was legal!'

[url="http://www.sexpistolsofficial.com/index.php?module=discography&discography_item_id=32&discography_tag=albums"]http://www.sexpistolsofficial.com/index.ph...aphy_tag=albums[/url]

edit: clearly not. Thisnameistaken must have said 'boo-she-it!'

Edited by bilbo230763