Why become a member? ×

Earliest Ever Footage of Slap Bass

Bean9seventy

13 hours ago, BigRedX said:

I don't know what all the fuss is about. When I was a teenager back in the 70s, one of the sales assistants in my local musical instrument store in Loughborough was a bass player and when the shop was quiet, he would regularly break out a bit of slap bass on whatever bass guitars were on display. This was basically a "home organ" store rather than somewhere selling to "rock" musicians, and his musical tastes were some of the most mainstream I knew of. So he had definitely mastered slap enough to impress 17 year old me back in 1978 and someone must have taught him, because it's not a technique that you can work out from just listening to records without some pointers for how it's being done.

anyone who could slap bass in 78 would have got a shot at being a pro musician ,, / pop star

for anyone in 1978 to casually slap bass is ,, nah ,, they would have had to know someone in the industry ,, no myths or long stories here ,,

13 hours ago, Hellzero said:

@Bean9seventy Are you a revisionist ? Or maybe a conspiracy revisionist ? It's so hype today, I know...

You have all the proofs before your eyes that, at least, one person was playing slap before 1968 on a bass.

Do you understand what is written in all the comments here, because it seems that you don't ? I clearly wrote : "What about this more modern technique dating back to 1965..." Here, the more modern technique is referring to tapping not slapping.

That said who gives a f*ck about knowing who was the first to use slap... You know some unknown manouche guitarist certainly did some slap on his guitar way back in the 1940's without knowing that he invented a new technique.

Even if you have footage and evidences of the fact that Larry Graham already played slap in 1960, you'll keep denying the facts, because you've found that 1968 footage of a guitarist slapping a note (that nobody here can see) on a 1982 tune !?! Did he also invent that DeLorean time machine ?

And about the fact that there's no slap bass lesson video before 1980, urm, urm, do you know that these lessons were written lessons in magazines, in the early days...

Check this, but I guess you'll say it was recorded this year, no ?

came in strong without reading the tin ,,,

this blog is not about Who invented slap ,, this blog is about Finding the earliest video / movie / film clip ,,, so far its 1968 ,, with a close call from 1955 ,, another from 1632 was disqualified ,, because he had no license for his hot dog stand ,, 

quote # that there's no slap bass lesson video before 1980, urm, urm, do you know that these lessons were written lessons in magazines, in the early days... # end quote

answer ? just find the videos of larry graham Showing how he plays bass before 1980,,find Any video of Anyone showing how to slap bass before 1980ish ,,

as for magazines ? if i am not mistaken most were to promote Fender or the basic pop merchandise of the day ,, glossy images of The brothers Johnson who in 1976 were the new kids on the block ,,, ?? they don't count ,, 1976 is some years after 1968 ,

30 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

+1

well ? the video you posted was not from 1970 ,,, the bass player in that video was not larry graham (he had left slys band by then) & seems you went in too hard ,, yet another reason why i am doing the blog

its another way of finding out how long my tale actually is ,, eg how long will it be before i get a thumbs down while standing in a queue in mothercare ?  

oh & i forgot to say The missing link is Jimi Hendrix ,,

if you read the heading ,, you might realize i posted this thread means i am hosting this post , why would i want to troll my own post ?

26 minutes ago, Bean9seventy said:

well ? the video you posted was not from 1970...

Eh..? What..? Huh..? :scratch_one-s_head:

Many mistakes here...

1 - I've not posted a video, at all.
2 - You've mistaken me for someone that gives a hoot about slap bass, whenever or whatever.
3 - You've not taken those pills the nice Doctor gave you (again...)
4 - Your keyboard appears to be broken; random stuff appears on our screens, making little-to-no sense. (Yes, I've tried Google Translate; didn't work...).

I predict a riot short life to this topic. :|

Edited by Dad3353
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

I could get quite accustomed to this double comma ,, thing ,,.

Perhaps it's a way of indicating that what is being said is definitely not a quote. I suppose it's a form of accentuation like when Spanish people put an upside down exclamation mark at the start of a sentence and another one at the end that's the right way up, just to emphasise the exclamatory nature of their utterance  e.g., 

¡My paella's been struck by lightning!

They do the same with question marks e.g.,:

¿Would it change my life if the earliest known footage of someone slapping a bass suddenly became available?

¡Fück, no!

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

On 31/03/2021 at 03:23, Bean9seventy said:

yet the above video of larry "explaining" how to slap is from 1980 ,,, in fact there are no videos of any funk "bass lessons" before that date of 1980 ,, some 20 years after larry 1st did it

Of course there won't be many (if any) video lessons around earlier than that, because no one was making them. DCI and Star Licks didn't start making instructional videos until '82 and '83, and even a show like the BBCs Rockschool wasn't on until '83.

Incidentally, that Larry Graham video was taken from the Star Licks Right Hand Bass Technique video which came out in '92, not 1980.

Back on topic, that video of Jagger is clearly not playing slap or from '68.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

Eh..? What..? Huh..? :scratch_one-s_head:

Many mistakes here...

1 - I've not posted a video, at all.
2 - You've mistaken me for someone that gives a hoot about slap bass, whenever or whatever.
3 - You've not taken those pills the nice Doctor gave you (again...)
4 - Your keyboard appears to be broken; random stuff appears on our screens, making little-to-no sense. (Yes, I've tried Google Translate; didn't work...).

I predict a riot short life to this topic. :|

Awfully sorry man ,i typed the message in the wrong "user box" could not delete it , great you posted back giving me a chance to explain

47 minutes ago, Doddy said:

Of course there won't be many (if any) video lessons around earlier than that, because no one was making them. DCI and Star Licks didn't start making instructional videos until '82 and '83, and even a show like the BBCs Rockschool wasn't on until '83.

Incidentally, that Larry Graham video was taken from the Star Licks Right Hand Bass Technique video which came out in '92, not 1980.

Back on topic, that video of Jagger is clearly not playing slap or from '68.

jagger is licking the guitar with his palm & thumb & plucking the strings with his index fingers in what today's teachers like Sotts Bass Lessons call the "see saw" motion,, not perfect, not shakatak or surface noise,  yet its something, its early,

btw Performance is one of "thee" classic movies, filled with micro details throughout , could this small jagger jam be another ? ,, we say yes ,, 

lol there are no videos because no one was making them ; D ,,, the reason why is because there was not yet a market for slap until 1980ish ,, thus i thank you for pointing that out , its key to some of the reasons why i launched this particular blog , thank you

8 hours ago, skankdelvar said:

I could get quite accustomed to this double comma ,, thing ,,.

Perhaps it's a way of indicating that what is being said is definitely not a quote. I suppose it's a form of accentuation like when Spanish people put an upside down exclamation mark at the start of a sentence and another one at the end that's the right way up, just to emphasise the exclamatory nature of their utterance  e.g., 

¡My paella's been struck by lightning!

They do the same with question marks e.g.,:

¿Would it change my life if the earliest known footage of someone slapping a bass suddenly became available?

¡Fück, no!

just a blog ,, where you can say what you like ,, almost ,, & learn drum machine ,, :D

But wow ,, was jagger so far ahead of the game he put slap in the movie ,, ? we say yes

16 minutes ago, Bean9seventy said:

jagger is licking the guitar with his palm & thumb & plucking the strings with his index fingers in what today's teachers like Sotts Bass Lessons call the "see saw" motion,, not perfect, not shakatak or surface noise,  yet its something, its early,

btw Performance is one of "thee" classic movies, filled with micro details throughout , could this small jagger jam be another ? ,, we say yes ,, 

lol there are no videos because no one was making them ; D ,,, the reason why is because there was not yet a market for slap until 1980ish ,, thus i thank you for pointing that out , its key to some of the reasons why i launched this particular blog , thank you

To me, it looks more like Jagger is using more of a Blues guitar technique than legit slap technique.

It's not that there wasn't a market for slap until the '80s, it's more that there wasn't really a market for any instrumental instructional videos at the time.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Bean9seventy said:

this blog post is to find the earliest visual footage of the slap funk method

Forgive me for pointing this out but you are not on a web log here.  This is a forum.  Also, you are not the first poster to open up this subject.  There will be discussion whether you like it or not.

The bottom line is that slap is a technique used by musicians, NOT a style of music in itself.  Having said that, it seems that there are quite a few that think that way.

I admire your tenacity on the subject.  I have a feeling that you have an axe to grind however.  I don't know where that comes from and really, I don't need to.  I wish you all the best on your quest, whatever it is.

26 minutes ago, Hellzero said:

One slap a video @SpondonBassed !

It's a job I haven't applied for.

I can see no point in following this topic now.  @Bean9seventy is on a mission of some sort but since I am not a member of his space cadet unit, I can not say what that mission is.  It's become boring to read.  This is not the first time either.

Good luck to him.