Why become a member? ×

Little Mark 2/3

mrdirtyrob

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='441803' date='Mar 22 2009, 03:46 PM']I cant see why it should, and anyone considering a lightweight amp would probably have a look at the competition as well rather than just buying a LM3 on the basis that it must be better than the LM2,[/quote]

[quote name='Tusknia' post='441842' date='Mar 22 2009, 04:54 PM']Been seeing alot more LMII's on Basschat and Talkbass classifieds since the news broke.[/quote]
Guess i'm wrong then, there are lot of knobs intending to buy a LM3 on the basis that it must be better than the LM2 :)

Edited by bass_ferret

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='441879' date='Mar 22 2009, 05:55 PM']Guess i'm wrong then, there are lot of knobs intending to buy a LM3 on the basis that it must be better than the LM2 :)[/quote]

We need something to put in land fill sites...

*ducks*

Only joking. I'm only jealous because I want a small tiny amp thats sounds as good as my current one...

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='442279' date='Mar 23 2009, 10:55 AM']We need something to put in land fill sites...

*ducks*

Only joking. I'm only jealous because I want a small tiny amp thats sounds as good as my current one...[/quote]

Mine will probably be up for sale if i can afford a LMIII. Well, one of my MB heads anyway.

While the LMIII doesn't really offer that much over the LMII having a level control for the DI will be handy. I use it a lot on my SA450.
Also i believe the LMIII has a better limiting circuit so might sound a bit better (or worse of course).

Then again, i expect the LMIII to be quite expensive, even just the basic version so i probably wont be able to afford one before the end of the year.

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='442348' date='Mar 23 2009, 12:43 PM']Fair play to MarkBass for revamping pretty much the whole range when all EBS could manage was the Stanley Clarke Wah !!!!!! Some of use are gagging for a LM/Shuttle/etc/etc sized EBS :)[/quote]

Yeah, there is certainly more choice in the MB range now.
Other companies are now catching up though and if these new MB heads sound too different to the older versions they might not sell as well.

Personally i got my MB heads for the tone. I dont like the look of them and being small and lightweight is nice but not something im really bothered about.

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='442348' date='Mar 23 2009, 12:43 PM']Fair play to MarkBass for revamping pretty much the whole range when all EBS could manage was the Stanley Clarke Wah !!!!!! Some of use are gagging for a LM/Shuttle/etc/etc sized EBS :)[/quote]

Apparently there is some new stuff for Frankfurt. I'm not holding my breath.

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='442961' date='Mar 23 2009, 07:30 PM']No. Bernie wants something to take on MarkBass and they gave him the Classic 450![/quote]

Swedish metal scene means they don't want anything small and diddy. It has to be HHHHUUUUUUUGGGGGEEEE... or they are just not interested.

Just let them take a couple of 8x10s and a couple of TD650s on the tube and lets see how they get on...

[quote name='dannybuoy' post='443402' date='Mar 24 2009, 08:35 AM']The Little Mark Tube has a push/pull mute switch, plusyou can crossfade between solid state and preamps. I want!

[/quote]

Yup, that one and its 800 watt brother are going to be a monster hit IMO

I see no reason whatsoever to upgrade my 450 though. Size is irrelevant (its in a rack case) and I absolutely love the sound of it as is.

Thing is, with the advent of more affordable portable amps like the Genz Shuttle, I can see Mark Bass losing its market share as the competition catches up. Maybe we'll see a Little Giant with the trademark Ashdown valve preamp in the not too distant future and if you can ignore the fact that it's probably made using prison slave labour in China will be another world away from MarkBass pricewise. I just think that even with these updates, their prices will become harder to justify.

Yeah their prices rocketed up - I was told it was due to the exchange rate, but that was when we had the exchange rate on our side, and didn't take into account the unbelievable prices in the US compared to the UK. It doesn't really add up!

I hope the prices tumble now there is significant competition, but I do feel that the MB stuff is the best I've heard at a lightweight solution, and they have all the variations you can imagine covered....

Edited by 51m0n

[quote name='henry norton' post='443932' date='Mar 24 2009, 04:18 PM']I just think that even with these updates, their prices will become harder to justify.[/quote]

I agree but lets not forget these are still MB heads and a lot of people go for this tone no matter what the size.
I love the two filters on my MB heads so i doubt ill look elsewhere when it does come time to upgrade or replace what i have.