Why become a member? ×

Well worth 16:27 of anyone's time

Happy Jack

Funny as those isolated tracks always sound quite awful. This song has always been my favourite Bowie track and listening to Tony Visconti explaining the genesis behind it makes you understand what kind of geniuses they all were. Coming from scratch progressively to a true masterpiece. :hi:

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, silverfoxnik said:

Needs to be watched in conjunction with this though to keep things in perspective:

Yes, it can be a lot of fun comparing the way different producers write about their contributions.

Visconti (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tony-Visconti-Autobiography-Bowie-Brooklyn/dp/0007229453/ref=asc_df_0007229453/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=310081590442&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=4123669782585546034&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9045963&hvtargid=pla-467232679897&psc=1) is at one end of the spectrum - it was me! me! me!

George Martin (https://www.amazon.co.uk/All-Need-Ears-George-Martin/dp/0312114826/ref=sr_1_1?crid=ZIC2FSN6TDTX&dchild=1&keywords=all+you+need+is+ears+by+george+martin&qid=1612462079&s=books&sprefix=all+you+need+is+ears%2Cstripbooks%2C145&sr=1-1) is absolutely at the other end - oh I did very little really, it was all 'the boys'.

Glyn Johns (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sound-Man-Recording-Rolling-Zeppelin/dp/0147516579/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3EQUN7W8MM2LX&dchild=1&keywords=sound+man+glyn+johns&qid=1612462139&s=books&sprefix=sound+man%2Cstripbooks%2C145&sr=1-1) falls almost exactly in the middle.

All three of those books are - for different reasons and in their own way - an excellent read.

Thanks Jack - will check those out! 

There are so many excellent Bowie videos on YouTube these days that, for fans like me, it's been so interesting to get an insight into how some of his albums were made. 

But more generally, it's so cool to hear from those Producers who were there when some of those great, classic albums were made. As well as enabling the artists they produced to be the best they could be, people like Martin and Visconti were very talented musicians in their own right! 

57 minutes ago, silverfoxnik said:

Thanks Jack - will check those out! 

There are so many excellent Bowie videos on YouTube these days that, for fans like me, it's been so interesting to get an insight into how some of his albums were made. 

But more generally, it's so cool to hear from those Producers who were there when some of those great, classic albums were made. As well as enabling the artists they produced to be the best they could be, people like Martin and Visconti were very talented musicians in their own right! 

From a bass perspective there are some really good Tim Lefebvre interviews on YouTube where he discusses his work on Black Star... well worth a watch.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Old Man Riva said:

From a bass perspective there are some really good Tim Lefebvre interviews on YouTube where he discusses his work on Black Star... well worth a watch.

Just watched some of those vids - great stuff, thank you! 👍

He's a really cool dude...