Why become a member? ×

Electronics recommendation for Warwick SS1

CookPassBabtridge

Hello - I have a Warwick Streamer Stage 1 and am looking to upgrade the electronics. I'm not getting on with the stock MEC pre and pickups as I want a 3 band EQ and I find the treble a little harsh. I know quite a few people swap out their stock Warwick electronics, and was wondering if anyone had a particular recommendation for a SS1 (cherrywood body, maple neck)?

I'm currently thinking about either EMG PJs with a BQC pre, or Seymour Duncan Pro Active PJs with a SD 3 band preamp. Does anyone have experience of these in a Streamer? Or are there other options I should be considering? In terms of sound I'm fairly flexible, but I like a warm tone and would be keen to retain that Warwick growl.

Cheers! 

I went for Bartolinis and an OBP-3 when I changed the electronics in my Stage 1. Have zero experience of any of the others you mention so not very useful I'm afraid, but it's given me exactly what I was after.

I wasn't happy with the stock setup as I found I was boosting the bass a lot to get the tone I was after; with the OBP-3 I went with the 18V option but find with this combo I'm running it either completely flat, or with the slightest hair of bass boost. The switchable mid freq is great too, and a useful upgrade from the stock 3 band eq, though obviously not as flexible as a semi-parametric mid freq control (is that the right term?) that you get with some other preamps.

Having changed both at the same time I can't tell you whether it's the pups or the preamp that have made the biggest difference I'm afraid, but that combination is doing it for me.

• Like 1

Thanks @AxelF, that is really helpful! I’ve heard a lot of love for the OBP-3 in Warwicks elsewhere, so perhaps I should expand my search a bit. Main reason I honed in on the EMG/SDs is because Warwick offer them as options, but that’s not to say something else wouldn’t work.

I am very tempted by the Barts, though I have some in another bass (and they’re great) so I just fancy something different. Perhaps I could go with the Aguilar pre and either the EMG/SD pickups. Hmm. 

I'm in the same boat at the moment with my LX4. Although Warwick are my favourite brand, It it has to be said, the MEC preamp has a horrible treble freqency selection. It's just pure clank and brittleness. But, it's part of what gives Warwicks that signature tone in a live mix. I'd imagine an EMG preamp would make for good bedfellows as MEC p/u's are essentially EMG copies.

Edited by 40hz
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, 40hz said:

I'm in the same boat at the moment with my LX4. Although Warwick are my favourite brand, It it has to be said, the MEC preamp has a horrible treble freqency selection. It's just pure clank and brittleness. But, it's part of what gives Warwicks that signature tone in a live mix. I'd imagine an EMG preamp would make for good bedfellows as MEC p/u's are essentially EMG copies.

Yeah, I’m guessing the EMGs will be closest to the ‘typical’ Warwick sound so are a very good option. I’m very tempted by the SDs though, I think Dirk Lance and P-Nut had them in their basses? Ah, so many possibilities 😂

Please do keep me posted on what you end up going for and what impact it has on your tone, be great to know how you get on. 

9 hours ago, 40hz said:

My '97 LX6 had SD Basslines soapbars as MEC didn't make pickups that big at the time. They sounded rather nice,  even with the stock 2 band MEC EQ...

I don't find the 40hz bass frequency centre on the Aguilar pres to be very musical.  A boost at this frequency is largely just mush, so really it can only be used musically as a cut.  Darkglass have theirs at around 70hz which is much more versatile IMO.  

• Thanks 1

I put a Bartolini HR 4.5 AP in my '98 Streamer LX after the stock MEC preamp died. I kept the stock pickups though.

Sometimes Bartolinis can sound really smooth but with the MEC pickups it still has that Warwick sound, only with more tonal flexability.

54 minutes ago, acidbass said:

I don't find the 40hz bass frequency centre on the Aguilar pres to be very musical.  A boost at this frequency is largely just mush, so really it can only be used musically as a cut.  Darkglass have theirs at around 70hz which is much more versatile IMO.  

I also really like the Audere preamp frequencies!

I'll be watching this. I own a lovely Streamer LX5 (with two active MEC J pickups and 2-band EQ) that I've had for some 10 years now, and I love the lows but always felt the highs sound thin and overly agressive and the bass has a huge natural low mid scoop that I can't remedy with the onboard 2-band. It sounded great in my metal band where it had to punch through a very full mix with two 7-string guitars and quite a bit of keys, but it's pretty much useless for anything else. I also just bought a Streamer LX 4-string (with the regular MEC PJ pickups and 2-band) but have yet to find out how it sounds because I'm waiting on a new neck pickup for it that will be delivered to me later this week because the original one didn't work. 

I'm familiar with the OBP-3, I have one in an Ellio Martina Forza (basically a modern active 5-string Jazz) running on 18V. I agree with @acidbass about the bass frequency, it's only useful for cutting. The moment you boost the bass even slightly you're lost in the mix, especially on the low B-string. 

Just in case anyone is interested - I’ve been doing a bit more research and a luthier has recommended Delanos as an option. Apparently they solve the issue of the excessive brightness and harsh treble sometimes associated with the MECs so I might give them a look. Not sure if anyone has any experience of them?

• 1 month later...

So two months later I ended up going with the Seymour Duncan pickups and preamp. Am very pleased with them, they represent a good upgrade on the MECs. Sound is a subjective thing but the easiest way to summarise for me is the SDs are a lot smoother and less harsh. Mids are very powerful but easy enough to dial back if needs be. The treble is pretty subtle though, when sweeping the change in tone isn’t immediately apparent but there is a clear difference between it being off and cranked up.

Overall then, I’d say SDs are a good option for those looking to ‘tame’ their Streamer (in a good way). If you’re after something aggressive you may be better off with the stock MEC or perhaps some EMGs. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LukeFRC said:

Bartolini pickups and the stock preamp are also a good mix

(edit - original series Bart)

Indeed, I've got the opposite in my Thumb bolt-on (MEC pickups and Bartolini preamp) and it sounds great. Am tempted to try some bright Bart pups to go with the pre to hear how it sounds.

1 hour ago, CookPassBabtridge said:

I would love to try out a John East pre sometime, never played with one before. I also suck at soldering so that’s another +1 for it 😂

Everything on John's preamps is plug in or screw terminal so you don't need to worry about your ability to solder! Shoot him an email if you want to discuss your requirements, his knowledge and customer service is second to none.

When a part of my preamp broke, he had me round to his house and sat me down with a brew in his workshop while he fixed it completely free of charge. I've never come across any manufacturer that comes close to his level of customer care and after sales service.

Ben

3 hours ago, funkypenguin said:

Everything on John's preamps is plug in or screw terminal so you don't need to worry about your ability to solder! Shoot him an email if you want to discuss your requirements, his knowledge and customer service is second to none.

When a part of my preamp broke, he had me round to his house and sat me down with a brew in his workshop while he fixed it completely free of charge. I've never come across any manufacturer that comes close to his level of customer care and after sales service.

Ben

That’s cool to know, thanks! I’ll put a John East at the top of my list to consider next time I’m looking for a preamp. 

Customer care and after sales is a big thing for me. I have a Genzler amp and the service I received was great (queries responded to promptly and helpfully by Mr. Genzler himself) - to the point I’d recommend his products on the strength of his attitude alone.