Why become a member? ×

NUX Mighty Plug (headphone amp)

ped

• 4 weeks later...

Random (related) question;

On the Original Mighty Plug, is it possible to defeat or bypass the amp and/or IR selection? They seem to be permanently enabled according to the app.

I find the IRs in particular to be an annoyance that I could happily do without in some circumstances.  

• 4 weeks later...
On 01/05/2023 at 03:44, tayste_2000 said:

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/mightier-amp/id6447451371

Mightier Amp now available on the App Store.

This is an independent app that apparently gives you more control over everything.

I’ve not had a play with it yet and not quite sure the benefits but I’m really hoping to never have to plug it into a laptop again

Best feature is being able to import QR codes saved as images. Major oversight in the NUX software. 

• 3 weeks later...

Previously I complained about the Bluetooth audio on the mighty plug being really bass heavy. Good news is i finally installed the mightier amp app, and the eq for the audio is much better and is now useable. 

The app in general seems much better in terms of layout, control, etc.

Edited by alexa3020

4 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

Quick question about these, do you just plug it into your bass and use wireless headphones and do you have to use the app for it to work 

It will work just by just plugging it into your bass and using headphones, but the app gives you access to the settings. There are 6 presets (I think 4 guitar and 2 bass) you can change between on the the unit itself. You don't need the app for it to work. 

Also bluetoothing to your phone allows you to stream audio to play along to. 

However, you need headphones with a mini jack, not wireless. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Buddster said:

It will work just by just plugging it into your bass and using headphones, but the app gives you access to the settings. There are 6 presets (I think 4 guitar and 2 bass) you can change between on the the unit itself. You don't need the app for it to work. 

Also bluetoothing to your phone allows you to stream audio to play along to. 

However, you need headphones with a mini jack, not wireless. 

Thanks very much Buddster, wasn’t sure if wireless would work, cheers 

12 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

Quick question about these, do you just plug it into your bass and use wireless headphones and do you have to use the app for it to work 

Just set up some presets using the app and then you don't need it. You can have seven presets and scroll through them using the main button on the Mighty plug, the button lights up a different colour for each preset.

Bluetooth your phone to it and balance the bass volume (on the Mighty Plug) against your phone volume (on your phone) and away you go. 

As said above you need wired headphones but I bought a short lead so it doesn't trail around, just long enough to reach from bass to headphones with a little slack so it doesn't get pulled. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Maude said:

As said above you need wired headphones but I bought a short lead so it doesn't trail around, just long enough to reach from bass to headphones with a little slack so it doesn't get pulled. 

Thanks for that Maude , I use the Yamaha sessioncake sometimes but was hoping this was wireless with headphones 

10 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

Thanks for that Maude , I use the Yamaha sessioncake sometimes but was hoping this was wireless with headphones 

I've got a Session Cake but it's a far bigger faff to use compared to the NUX. Session Cake, phone, headphones and bass all connected with leads compared to headphones essentially plugged straight into the bass. You can get up and walk around with nothing extra to carry. It's the simplest way to practice I've found short of buying the Boss Waza, which is significantly more expensive. 

Being USB rechargeable is another bonus over the Session Cake. 

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Maude said:

I've got a Session Cake but it's a far bigger faff to use compared to the NUX. Session Cake, phone, headphones and bass all connected with leads compared to headphones essentially plugged straight into the bass. You can get up and walk around with nothing extra to carry. It's the simplest way to practice I've found short of buying the Boss Waza, which is significantly more expensive. 

Being USB rechargeable is another bonus over the Session Cake. 

Yeah, that makes sense  cheers, for the minimal time I use it with headphones the Waza wouldn’t be worth it, but the Nux probably would 

Obviously up to you if you did get one but I wouldn't bother with the newer version. The only difference (I think) is it's USB C rather than B, and it's got a volume control, which I thought would be handy but I've found I don't need it. The NUX presets are set to a comfortable level using the app and I just adjust the phone volume to suit. 

I have the earlier version BTW. 

• Like 2

The newer one seems to be called the Mighty Plug Pro as opposed to just Mighty Plug. 

To be fair they're closer in price now, when I bought mine it was on offer at £50 compared to nearly £100 for the Pro, and didn't warrant the extra outlay for the two extra features. 

I actually practice more now as it's so convenient to use. 

I'm a fan, can you tell? 😁

This is the earlier one.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Maude said:

The newer one seems to be called the Mighty Plug Pro as opposed to just Mighty Plug. 

To be fair they're closer in price now, when I bought mine it was on offer at £50 compared to nearly £100 for the Pro, and didn't warrant the extra outlay for the two extra features. 

I actually practice more now as it's so convenient to use. 

I'm a fan, can you tell? 😁

This is the earlier one.

Nice one, thanks for that 👍

• Like 1

It does make practice easier as it’s always just ready to go.

The usb c means all my devices use the same cable (more or less)

But, I am sure the mp2 had less noise than the pro. I kept the mp2 in a gigbag in the US so I don’t have to take anything there. But the usb c is more convenient so that’s what I carry with me and any noise is unnoticeable when playing with songs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Oh forgot to say and I may have mentioned this previously but it’s also my recording setup.

What I’ve found is at most I need to do scratch demos for people prior to going into the studio.

This is bass - nux - usb c to iPad - headphones out of the nux

You mess a bit with the settings in the phone app but you can live monitor what you’re recording.

I’ve done some stuff this way and am working on a project now for a friend.

I really need to test if it will send the fx into the daw.

But it’s super simple and just 1 cable.

Just all in all a really handy solution for practice and recording, I’ve loaded some shiftline irs on and mainly just use it clean with the Aggie amp sim.

Also did by one else notice you can drag and drop the fx blocks into different orders 💁🏼‍♀️

Compression after amp sims is quite nice.

• Like 2

Just to confirm what has already been alluded to, having a short cable to connect the device to the headphones is no big deal deal at all and in no way inconvenient. I don’t think having a wireless version would bring much to the party other than added cost. 

Edited by Velarian
  • Like 1

On the flip side I just went to practice and on the second song my NUX's battery has died, on the intro to The Snake, how very apt. I hate this piece of rubbish. 😂

To be fair I knew it needed charging but hoped I could squeeze another half an hour out of it, nope. 

It actually lasts a decent amount of time on a single charge. 

• Like 1

On 09/04/2022 at 18:25, Buddster said:

But what i don't like is the overall sound of the music played via bluetooth. Its very bass heavy (and not even in a nice punchy bass way) and really over compressed. And the presets music eq's are just awful. Not musical at all. Plus it's not that loud.

Music still sound rubbish though. Maybe its my 80ohm Beyerdynamics that are the issue as stated above. Worth trying a lower ohm set.

On 05/12/2022 at 13:47, alexa3020 said:

As I understand the music audio is eq'd within the mighty plug app before it gets sent to headphones. The Eq mix (whichever preset I choose) in the mighty plug app seems really bass heavy. So much so that I have to Eq the bass out on my phones settings. Anyone else found this?

On 30/12/2022 at 11:29, mcnach said:

No EQ issues here, but I suppose you can use an EQ app and have a preset saved that you can apply when you're using your phone with the NUX?

I have a handful of different EQ presets, depending on what speakers/headphones I'm going to be using, so maybe this is why I didn't notice any bass-heaviness on mine?

I've had my MP2 for a year or so now and I've been generally happy with it, and didn't initially notice the heavy bass from streamed music. However, I've recently purchased the Mooer Prime P1 because it does a couple of things the Nux doesn't and the difference in streamed music was stark compared to the Nux. I used the same headphones I use with my Helix and Nux (Jabra Move - which allegedly has a fairly flat profile) Initially, I thought it was a problem with the P1, as it seemed to be rather lacking in bass. Even if I plugged the P1 into my iPad to stream music over USB it sounded weaker than the Nux, so I thought it might be a DAC issue rather than just Bluetooth.

So, I felt disappointed with the performance of the Mooer, thinking the Nux sounded better. I mean, who doesn't like more bass? And as I alluded to, I chose my Jabra Move headphones by the reviews that mention the profile is fairly neutral without massively hyper bass. FWIW, My Blackstar Core ID Beam suffers a similar issue with streamed music - whether Bluetooth, wired aux in or over USB. Music playback always feels light in bass, whereas my actual bass sounds bass heavy!.

So I had another unscientific play last night. P1 paired with my iPad and the Nux paired with my iPhone and my trusty KZ ZS10 IEMs. Wow, the Nux sounded bass heavy!  I also compared the headphone outputs of those two devices with the internal outputs of the iPad and iPhone (via USB to Minijack adaptors) and although sounding slightly different, the Nux is still far more bass-heavy.  For fun, I also compared it to my Airpod Pro's earbuds, and again the eq profile was similar to the P1 and wired headphone output direct from the iPad and iPhone.

I haven't yet compared this to my Helix which can only play music through over USB. But when I get time, I certainly will. (I reckon I'm going to need to borrow a headphone mixer at this point).

What this also tells me is to start using my IEMs at home more often. I've been thinking about getting some better on-ear headphones for bass practice for some time anyway, but in the meantime, my IEMs seem more revealing and accurate than my Jabra's. That said, the sounds I've dialed in with the Jabras and my helix translate well to my headrush FRFR and live IEM. Although I need to do some work with the sound coming out of the PA.

On 08/07/2023 at 20:51, alexa3020 said:

Previously I complained about the Bluetooth audio on the mighty plug being really bass heavy. Good news is i finally installed the mightier amp app, and the eq for the audio is much better and is now useable. 

The app in general seems much better in terms of layout, control, etc.

That's very interesting to know. I'll have to take a look at this and see if I can improve the sound of the Nux.