Why become a member? ×

NUX Mighty Plug (headphone amp)

ped

• 3 months later...

I got one of these yesterday, the MP-2 as on the OP, not the newer 'PRO' version.

I'm going to dep for a Bruce Springsteen tribute band in a few weeks and got 25 songs to learn, and I'm going to be away for some of this period so I figured one of these units would be quite handy to practice while on the move.

I only had about 30min play with it last night, but so far I'm pretty impressed. It sounds ok, much better than I expected, to be honest. I haven't even checked the app yet, one of the presets did a more than passable job (even if it had to much reverb for my liking) with my Ray35. For my purposes, I'd be ok if I couldn't tweak it further... but it turns I can, so it looks good.

Just ordered a little extension cable as I don't like it sticking out of my bass that way and I'll just have it in my pocket I think. Oh, and a little inline volume thingy since I was at it and they're cheap, just in case. It really should have a volume control on the unit itself. I think the new version has that (plus USB-C rather than micro) but at £55-60, the MP-2 looks just, well, mighty.

• Like 2

On 28/09/2022 at 14:56, mcnach said:

I got one of these yesterday, the MP-2 as on the OP, not the newer 'PRO' version.

I'm going to dep for a Bruce Springsteen tribute band in a few weeks and got 25 songs to learn, and I'm going to be away for some of this period so I figured one of these units would be quite handy to practice while on the move.

I only had about 30min play with it last night, but so far I'm pretty impressed. It sounds ok, much better than I expected, to be honest. I haven't even checked the app yet, one of the presets did a more than passable job (even if it had to much reverb for my liking) with my Ray35. For my purposes, I'd be ok if I couldn't tweak it further... but it turns I can, so it looks good.

Just ordered a little extension cable as I don't like it sticking out of my bass that way and I'll just have it in my pocket I think. Oh, and a little inline volume thingy since I was at it and they're cheap, just in case. It really should have a volume control on the unit itself. I think the new version has that (plus USB-C rather than micro) but at £55-60, the MP-2 looks just, well, mighty.

Switch it over to the Aguilar Amp sim and turn off all the effects and you'll have a great time learning songs.

I love my Mighty Plug, so handy when travelling.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Has anyone tried the sharing feature on the might plug?

I haven’t played much with tweaking patch settings so I’ve not really mastered getting the best out of the device yet. However, If anyone has any good custom patches it would be interesting to try something different.

21 hours ago, Lfalex v1.1 said:

Still liking mine.  Its my go-to for practice. 

If it had a bulit-in tuner and physical gain/volume controls, it'd be excellent. 

As it is, it's still very good indeed. 

I got a little inline passive volume control thingy. It cost £3 or so and it's about 20cm long, so not much to add to your cable. I haven't tried it yet but it should do the trick... I hope!

18 hours ago, tayste_2000 said:

IR is the AG 8x10

DECBEE44-7B0F-4047-ABA5-62F4D7B2BF11.thumb.png.7bf7509ae82d7d7a8efe7dcbf0ca8704.png

I’ve just been playing with the patch settings and have created your suggestion above.

I’ve also had a look at the sharing function and if it’s worked, below is the QR code for that patch. The second QR code is for another patch I find myself using as it’s quite bright and modern sounding. I’m not sure if it’s one of the default patches or the result of some earlier tweaking I’ve done. I’d be interested to know if it sounds OK for others if anyone could try it. 

27307822-1BC1-4663-A4E4-30A19C53365C.jpeg

E32264F5-EA24-4194-ACA5-87EA77F68E7F.jpeg

Finally got some proper time to check out the app in depth, change effects etc. 

It's not going to substitute anybody's Helix anytime soon, but it's pretty damn good. It's very easy to get nice guitar sounds, it responds well to turning down the volume on the guitar, cleaning up the sound like you would on a real amp. And for bass... well, you need to build up a preset from scratch as the existing ones are mostly guitar oriented, but it's as easy as picking up the bass amp, tweak to taste, no effects and away you go. When playing along to tracks I actually prefer it without a cab simulation, but maybe I need to explore the IRs a bit more.

Anyway, the real reason I wrote this post was to confirm that an inline volume control for the headphones comes in very very handy.

I am using this one, it wasn't £3, but £7... or £8 if you buy 2. It makes working with the MP-2 much easier.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08T1YW1JK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

inline_volume.png?dl=1

• Like 3

4 hours ago, mcnach said:

Finally got some proper time to check out the app in depth, change effects etc. 

It's not going to substitute anybody's Helix anytime soon, but it's pretty damn good. It's very easy to get nice guitar sounds, it responds well to turning down the volume on the guitar, cleaning up the sound like you would on a real amp. And for bass... well, you need to build up a preset from scratch as the existing ones are mostly guitar oriented, but it's as easy as picking up the bass amp, tweak to taste, no effects and away you go. When playing along to tracks I actually prefer it without a cab simulation, but maybe I need to explore the IRs a bit more.

Anyway, the real reason I wrote this post was to confirm that an inline volume control for the headphones comes in very very handy.

I am using this one, it wasn't £3, but £7... or £8 if you buy 2. It makes working with the MP-2 much easier.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08T1YW1JK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

inline_volume.png?dl=1

Thanks for the link. That’s really useful. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Does anyone know the advantages of the Pro version over the original one? 

I'm assuming any new amp/cab effect models are in the app and apply to either piece of hardware? 

In short, does the Pro warrant the extra money (nearly double at first glance)? 

1 hour ago, Maude said:

I'm assuming any new amp/cab effect models are in the app and apply to either piece of hardware? 

The two webpages are quite detailed as to what they do so any person can decide if the differences are worthwhile for the additional cost; here the difference is $129/159. I have the original and only use it for practice, especially on the verandah. For the difference in cost if I were starting from scratch I'd probably go Pro as the $30 isn't much and I might find the differences useful later.

https://www.nuxefx.com/mighty-plug.html

https://www.nuxefx.com/mightyplugpro.html

Edited by crazycloud
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Maude said:

The two minor hardware improvements are USB-C charging, and physical volume control buttons. Both nice to have but not essential. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, pineweasel said:

The two minor hardware improvements are USB-C charging, and physical volume control buttons. Both nice to have but not essential. 

That was my thought too, and I got the MP-2 over the pro a few months ago. The USB-C is nice but far from being important to me. The volume control is something I would have liked to have... but I'm just using a passive in-line control for that (around £5... the MP-2 was £60 and the Pro version around £100-110 as far as I could see. Happy with the MP-2).

• Like 1

11 hours ago, crazycloud said:

The two webpages are quite detailed as to what they do so any person can decide if the differences are worthwhile for the additional cost; here the difference is $129/159. I have the original and only use it for practice, especially on the verandah. For the difference in cost if I were starting from scratch I'd probably go Pro as the $30 isn't much and I might find the differences useful later.

https://www.nuxefx.com/mighty-plug.html

https://www.nuxefx.com/mightyplugpro.html

The trouble with the two webpages is that a lot of what they list is, I assume, what the app does, not what the hardware does. The two spec lists aren't comparable at all. 

I was more wondering if both versions use are compatible with the same app. 

Here's the two specs lists. 

mTOiBEA.jpeg

tfOruBE.jpeg