Why become a member? ×

NUX Mighty Plug (headphone amp)

ped

6 hours ago, pineweasel said:

The two minor hardware improvements are USB-C charging, and physical volume control buttons. Both nice to have but not essential. 

Thanks, I guess if they made it clear that was the only real difference then no one would buy the newer version, at least in the UK where it's nearly twice the price. 

I've just picked up a mighty plug 2 2nd hand for £25 - pretty good deal.

A couple of observations/questions. I like to play along to tracks on my phone (youtube, spotify, etc). As I understand the music audio is eq'd within the mighty plug app before it gets sent to headphones. The Eq mix (whichever preset I choose) in the mighty plug app seems really bass heavy. So much so that I have to Eq the bass out on my phones settings. Anyone else found this?

Also, I tried recording Mighty plug into Audacity onto my PC. However, the signal seems really temperamental and appears to be cutting out. I have updated to the latest firmware and driver. I think this is more likely an Audacity issue though. Perhaps I need to find a better recording software!

Other than that, its a really cool bit of kit. 

I do think the volume buttons on mighty plug 3 would be really useful when playing along to different tracks that are at different volumes - it'll save you switching between apps to get volume levels correct.

Edited by alexa3020

• 4 weeks later...

I've just ordered the MP-2. 

Best prices I could find delivered were £54 for the MP-2, and £98 for the Pro. The type of charging port is irrelevant to me and a volume control isn't worth £44. If it turns out to be an annoyance I'll order one of the inline ones. 

Looking forward to trying it out. 

On 05/12/2022 at 13:47, alexa3020 said:

I've just picked up a mighty plug 2 2nd hand for £25 - pretty good deal.

A couple of observations/questions. I like to play along to tracks on my phone (youtube, spotify, etc). As I understand the music audio is eq'd within the mighty plug app before it gets sent to headphones. The Eq mix (whichever preset I choose) in the mighty plug app seems really bass heavy. So much so that I have to Eq the bass out on my phones settings. Anyone else found this?

Aye, definitely a bit of an issue for me too. It's rather annoying to keep changing the eq settings within Spotify to compensate. 

I use the Mightier Amp app (rather than the Mighty Amp, see previous posts here) and have emailed them to see if they can put an eq in to help with this, but no reply so far. 

No EQ issues here, but I suppose you can use an EQ app and have a preset saved that you can apply when you're using your phone with the NUX?

I have a handful of different EQ presets, depending on what speakers/headphones I'm going to be using, so maybe this is why I didn't notice any bass-heaviness on mine?

• 2 weeks later...

I've had a good play with this now and I'm liking it. 

Firstly I'm not a tone aficionado when it comes to practicing, as long as I can hear what I need to I'm good to go. But this little thing sounds good. All the sims are plenty good enough and the freedom it brings outweighs any downsides. 

I haven't found it too bass heavy either, just set the bluetooth input eq to acoustic and it's quite bright, try other settings and see what gives you the sound you're after. 

I don't know think the lack of a volume control is really a problem either, I've just set it to be a comfortable level and then just adjust my phones volume to match, if playing along to stuff. 

One problem(?) I've found is that the manual says to hold the big round button for two seconds to switch to bass mode, it doesn't do this. I'm guessing the firmware has changed and this isn't a feature any more, or it is now and I need to update. 

But overall it's great. Great to be able to just have bass, NUX and headphones. I've even found a short cable for my headphones so there's not even excess cable in the way. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Maude said:

I haven't found it too bass heavy either, just set the bluetooth input eq to acoustic and it's quite bright, try other settings and see what gives you the sound you're after. 

Thanks for pointing that out. I'd not noticed that. It does help reduce the bass level a bit.

A basic graph eq would come in real handy when playing along with tracks. 

19 hours ago, Maude said:

One problem(?) I've found is that the manual says to hold the big round button for two seconds to switch to bass mode, it doesn't do this. I'm guessing the firmware has changed and this isn't a feature any more, or it is now and I need to update. 

I think the bass amp models are located in with the rest of the amps now 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mudpup said:

I think the bass amp models are located in with the rest of the amps now 

Thanks.

Yes, I have should've posted that I've since found that out, it's earlier in thread. There's just a one amp section with everything in. 

I've just set up a nice clean sounding bass setup and copied it to all seven presets. I'll then add some effects to them so I've got a clean, a driven, a chorus, a modern, a vintage, etc. 

It's a really handy little tool. 

I liked the Yamaha session cake that we all bought in that sale, but it still needs batteries and a separate music source input lead. 

With a short enough headphone lead you can just strap this on and wander around, it's great. 

Although foot up on the sofa like a monitor, full bassface and pelvic thrusts while playing 'Lick My Love Pump' while my wife's trying to watch TV isn't appreciated. Tssk! 

• Haha 2

21 hours ago, Maude said:

I've had a good play with this now and I'm liking it. 

Firstly I'm not a tone aficionado when it comes to practicing, as long as I can hear what I need to I'm good to go. But this little thing sounds good. All the sims are plenty good enough and the freedom it brings outweighs any downsides. 

I don't know think the lack of a volume control is really a problem either, I've just set it to be a comfortable level and then just adjust my phones volume to match, if playing along to stuff. 

But overall it's great. Great to be able to just have bass, NUX and headphones. I've even found a short cable for my headphones so there's not even excess cable in the way. 

That's my understanding. I think it used to have a guitar 'bank' and a bass bank of 3 presets each or something like that, and later they just made it to hold 7 presets of whatever kind, there's no longer bass or guitar specific banks, you're free to have all 7 being for bass if you wanted to.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm still loving this little device, it's just so convenient. 

I've set up a patch for fretless, kind of inspired by the bass on Pink Floyd's 'Hey You'. Yes I've put chorus on but it's more overdriven growl than shimmery chorus. 

It sounds great with my old fretless BB with flats. 

If you play a fretless give it a go and see what you think.

Here's what I've used. 

oaOoiaz.jpeg

XCYWxLw.jpeg

o17q2rs.jpeg

THXZOJC.jpeg

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Maude said:

I'm still loving this little device, it's just so convenient. 

I've set up a patch for fretless, kind of inspired by the bass on Pink Floyd's 'Hey You'. Yes I've put chorus on but it's more overdriven growl than shimmery chorus. 

It sounds great with my old fretless BB with flats. 

If you play a fretless give it a go and see what you think.

Here's what I've used. 

oaOoiaz.jpeg

XCYWxLw.jpeg

o17q2rs.jpeg

THXZOJC.jpeg

Thanks for that, it sounds great.

Do you know that it’s easier to share patches using the QR code?

9B8C3A34-BCD6-4188-82E3-41268397A192.jpeg

31 minutes ago, Velarian said:

Thanks for that, it sounds great.

Do you know that it’s easier to share patches using the QR code?

9B8C3A34-BCD6-4188-82E3-41268397A192.jpeg

Now ya tell me! 😄

Although I'm one of those that only uses a phone for everything, don't own a computer. It's easy to share a QR code but not so easy scan one. 

12 minutes ago, Maude said:

Now ya tell me! 😄

Although I'm one of those that only uses a phone for everything, don't own a computer. It's easy to share a QR code but not so easy scan one. 

Good point. You do need two devices to read them in, one to display and one to scan the code in.

Got mine yesterday, still dialing in the sounds.

Mainly got it for the USB C connection but looking forward to loading some IR’s on to it tonight.

Was very annoying having to update the firmware on first use as you need a computer (I don’t travel with one) and it’s basically unusable until you update it.

• 2 months later...

Wanted to update this. I’m still (pretty) happy with this unit. There is some noise, kinda high pitched digital noise but I can’t hear it when playing along to things.

I updated the firmware again yesterday, there is now a tuner (maybe there was before but they have it in the release notes) in the app and I loaded on a bunch of Shiftline IR’s which all sound great.

I can’t imagine a better, smaller tool. It’s my practice setup and in a pinch a recording interface. Overall it means the footprint of the gear I carry for these purposes is tiny.

Definitely going to be investigate additional IR’s…. oh and I found out I can drag and drop the fx blocks and ordering of them so I’ve started running compression post IR. I think it sounds better before the amp but it’s nice as a different flavour.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, tayste_2000 said:

Wanted to update this. I’m still (pretty) happy with this unit. There is some noise, kinda high pitched digital noise but I can’t hear it when playing along to things.

I updated the firmware again yesterday, there is now a tuner (maybe there was before but they have it in the release notes) in the app and I loaded on a bunch of Shiftline IR’s which all sound great.

I can’t imagine a better, smaller tool. It’s my practice setup and in a pinch a recording interface. Overall it means the footprint of the gear I carry for these purposes is tiny.

Definitely going to be investigate additional IR’s…. oh and I found out I can drag and drop the fx blocks and ordering of them so I’ve started running compression post IR. I think it sounds better before the amp but it’s nice as a different flavour.

Oh cool! Thank you for the heads up, I'll update mine too.