Jump to content
bubinga5

Robin Thicke.

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Personally, I think you might be missing something. The lyrics are ambiguous, but it has been suggested, not by me, that they are concerned with boundaries regarding consensual and non-consensual sex. I've seen more blatant lyrics from hard core rappers, so yes, I agree with you there. I find it hard to believe that all the 701 million hits from the video are just from males though.

Surely the clue is in the song title.😉

Still, yep, I know loads of women who love it. What that says I really don’t know. Maybe that they just want something to dance to and don’t care about the lyrics?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmm a couple of issues here.

1. Pharrell Williams wrote the lyrics not Thicke

2. There's loads of rock music, much of it made by big name acts- particularly from the 70s and 80s -  where not only are song lyrics overtly misogynistic/sexist so was their behaviour, to whit many notorious post-gig parties with groupies.

IMO it's an excellent performance all-round and the bass playing is top drawer.

Edited by Barking Spiders

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, 4000 said:

What I can’t grasp is given that Pharrel & co got done for this, how on Earth did Zeppelin get away with Stairway?  😂

That's the way the cookie crumbles in the legal system. It went as far as it could and can't heard again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dad3353 said:

Max Bygraves didn't need stuff like that to be popular. 

You may say that Douglas, but I for one was shocked at his knowing references to the ‘pink toothbrush’ on Two-Way Family Favourites. 😉

  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

That's the way the cookie crumbles in the legal system. It went as far as it could and can't heard again.

Oh I know. But the opening to Stairway is IMO more of a ripoff of Taurus than BL is of Got To Give It Up, which was intended as a tribute/pastiche anyway. In fact there is as much about Kiss by Prince that reminds me of GTGIU as BL.

I found it interesting that the jurors apparently weren’t allowed to listen to Taurus. 😉 And let’s face it, Jimmy has plenty of form.😂

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Barking Spiders said:

Hmm a couple of issues here.

1. Pharrell Williams wrote the lyrics not Thicke

2. There's loads of rock music, much of it made by big name acts- particularly from the 70s and 80s -  where not only are song lyrics overtly misogynistic/sexist so was their behaviour, to whit many notorious post-gig parties with groupies.

IMO it's an excellent performance all-round and the bass playing is top drawer.

Mmm - a couple of issues there....

1. Thicke sang it. I presume no-one was standing there with a gun to his head at the time.

2. What happened in the 70's and 80's doesn't justify what happens in 2012/13.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, 4000 said:

Oh I know. But the opening to Stairway is IMO more of a ripoff of Taurus than BL is of Got To Give It Up, which was intended as a tribute/pastiche anyway. In fact there is as much about Kiss by Prince that reminds me of GTGIU as BL.

I found it interesting that the jurors apparently weren’t allowed to listen to Taurus. 😉 And let’s face it, Jimmy has plenty of form.😂

 

The Blurred Lines/Got To Give It Up thing was a load of tosh.

I thought part of the reason the Stairway thing went on as long as it did was because, as you said, they weren't allowed to hear Taurus and that allowed the appeals.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Len_derby said:

You may say that Douglas, but I for one was shocked at his knowing references to the ‘pink toothbrush’ on Two-Way Family Favourites. 😉

Even more worrying is his rather shocking reference to “Two-way Family Favourites”, which I’m sure is a sub-genre of its own. 😂

  • Haha 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

The Blurred Lines/Got To Give It Up thing was a load of tosh.

I thought part of the reason the Stairway thing went on as long as it did was because, as you said, they weren't allowed to hear Taurus and that allowed the appeals.

I can only assume that it was the fact they weren’t allowed to listen to it that meant Jim & co got away with it. 😉Some of the defence was absolute tosh. “We’d never heard it, honest guv, don’t even know who Spirit were!”. 😂

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, 4000 said:

I can only assume that it was the fact they weren’t allowed to listen to it that meant Jim & co got away with it. 😉Some of the defence was absolute tosh. “We’d never heard it, honest guv, don’t even know who Spirit were!”. 😂

I dunno, I can't remember where I read it now, but I thought that was taken into account during the appeals. I know it matters not a jot what think, but yes, the descending pattern is very similar, but 'Taurus' ain't 'Stairway To Heaven'. It's the vocal and the hook at the end of that descending pattern that make it what it is. I'd have kicked it out of court too. YMMV of course.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not getting into it about the lyrics to Blurred Lines, but I thought the court were wrong to rule in favour of Marvin Gaye's estate based on the 'feel' of the recording, ignoring what I thought were previous firm legal precedents.

Quote

Many experts felt the original verdict was a mistake, because it punished Thicke and Williams's song for copying the "feel" of Gaye's classic – an intangible quality – instead of directly plagiarising a sequence of notes, riff, lyrics or other musical phrases.

Quote

Circuit judge Jacqueline Nguyen said the two songs "differed in melody, harmony and rhythm" and said the verdict "strikes a devastating blow to future musicians and composers everywhere".

From: https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/news/blurred-lines-final-verdict-copyright-case-court-robin-thicke-pharrell-marvin-gaye-payout-a8681381.html

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

I dunno, I can't remember where I read it now, but I thought that was taken into account during the appeals. I know it matters not a jot what think, but yes, the descending pattern is very similar, but 'Taurus' ain't 'Stairway To Heaven'. It's the vocal and the hook at the end of that descending pattern that make it what it is. I'd have kicked it out of court too. YMMV of course.

I’m afraid MMDV. I love Stairway to bits, but taking all things into account (Shared bills together, Plant’s apparent love of Spirit, Jimmy’s history of ripping things off and attempting to pass them off as his own, as well as their defence which appeared to plead almost complete ignorance), I’m afraid I firmly believe they ripped it off. Yes, they then “developed” it, but if the mask and stripey jumper fits, as it usually does in Jimmy’s case.....😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Barking Spiders said:

Hmm a couple of issues here.

1. Pharrell Williams wrote the lyrics not Thicke...

Makes it even more incredible that his reputation has been barely touched then, whereas RT's has been trashed.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Makes it even more incredible that his reputation has been barely touched then, whereas RT's has been trashed.

The video is a large part of Thicke's undoing, IMO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, 4000 said:

I’m afraid MMDV. I love Stairway to bits, but taking all things into account (Shared bills together, Plant’s apparent love of Spirit, Jimmy’s history of ripping things off and attempting to pass them off as his own, as well as their defence which appeared to plead almost complete ignorance), I’m afraid I firmly believe they ripped it off. Yes, they then “developed” it, but if the mask and stripey jumper fits, as it usually does in Jimmy’s case.....😉

Oh, I completely agree Taurus was the genesis of Stairway. No denying that, but it’s a small descending pattern that Jimmy & Co ran a marathon with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, BreadBin said:

The video is a large part of Thicke's undoing, IMO.

And a lot of other people’s!😳

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, BreadBin said:

The video is a large part of Thicke's undoing, IMO.

Which Pharrell was nowhere to be seen in (not!) and thereby escaped equal criticism - lol! 

Edited by Al Krow

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Oh, I completely agree Taurus was the genesis of Stairway. No denying that, but it’s a small descending pattern that Jimmy & Co ran a marathon with.

Still someone else’s pattern though. As a songwriter, I don’t approve. If it really had been a complete coincidence, that would be different. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Al Krow said:

Which Pharrel was nowhere to be seen in and thereby escaped any criticism - lol! 

Pharrel is in the video.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, 4000 said:

Pharrel is in the video.

Yes I've edited my post to make it clear I was being ironic. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Al Krow said:

Yes I've edited my post to make it clear I was being ironic. 

😂 I thought maybe you’d just been distracted by something. 😉

Edited by 4000
  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Really enjoyed this... lovely to see him in this role! Take a listen to one of his early tunes 'Shooter' if you want to hear some nice bass playing/tone. Sean Hurley i believe! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A lot of silly claims with members pretending to have played bass on Blurred Lines. I can confirm it was me who played triangle on that recording.

Lead triangle! 

  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No if Ped said he was playing, it must be true. The rest of you are clearly just talking shi*te 😂

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...