Why become a member? ×

Just bagged a Celinder

ped

2 minutes ago, Hellzero said:

@ped : According to Chris Celinder, the serial number on the bolt-on basses is in the neck pocket. So, you'll need to unscrew the neck (again).  My sixer was a neckthrough. ;)

Ah I did wonder about that. I have no intention to upset the perfect setup I have been able to achieve with the bass so will maybe find out one day when I change strings. Good to know though, thanks. 

• 2 months later...

Even though I’ve had this bass for a few months now, I’ve only really had time to properly appreciate it recently. I have spent the last couple of days playing it and playing with the dip switches and various compressors. It’s just a fantastic instrument. So sleek and smooth in the hand and the sound is best described as ‘delicious’

Ive taken some pics using the fake depth of field effect on my phone which sometimes works ok but often causes glitches. There’s been very little natural light today anyway so I might get some better ones tomorrow. 

I’m working out my recording setup and plan to get some samples up soon. 

Super sexy take on the jazz shape, thinner and a bit smaller.

3CADB984-8208-4B60-8CE0-8A44D2737A3E.jpeg

The neck is the best bit - dead flat, impeccable fretwork.

9CC7A3CC-6E32-499E-AC18-D81C418F6941.jpeg

I like the font!

DB001D2A-2456-4F60-AA40-A1047BA04371.jpeg

String through body and battery box. Dip switches inside cover which is awkward but set-and-forget.

7EDF589A-19FA-4B64-AFD3-4A1F9D25286A.jpeg

Angled neck heel and threaded inserts. She has a few dents and marks but black hides them well!

64E38797-799A-4F59-9AA1-7B2ACD15046D.jpeg

• Like 8

No, I think he still makes occasional ones for himself, and sells them as he makes them.  Or so I hear, anyway...probably single figure amounts in a year. I think he made 500 or so in total when he was active.

Edited by funkle
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Cairobill said:

They're lovely basses. I had a classic, but I really wanted the update J like this one. Sold it on but if the stars align I'll jump back in on an update if I can find one. 

There's a Facebook group where occasionally some come up for sale, or where you can intimidate current owners into giving theirs up.

• Haha 3

Here's a little sample. All my usual excuses for playing and recoding skill - but hopefully you can hear the sound of the bass.

Just my bass into the interface and Garageband with a backing track. I've only just worked out how to do fade ins, so I have a lot to learn still. I can never seem to get the levels sounding right after exporting!

• Like 5

On 27/01/2021 at 17:45, Reggaebass said:

Nice groove ped👍, out of interest what interface do you use 

Sorry didn't see this. Thanks, it’s a great backing track to play to. I wanted to do a simple but phat line and work on getting the levels sounding right which I think sounds ok now. When I actually record though the backing is too loud so I’ll have to play with the settings a bit. 

It’s just my VB99 into GarageBand via USB. Using a bit of compression and reverb as normal. Cheers 🥂 

Oh here’s the track if you fancy playing along:

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ped said:

Sorry didn't see this. Thanks, it’s a great backing track to play to. I wanted to do a simple but phat line and work on getting the levels sounding right which I think sounds ok now. When I actually record though the backing is too loud so I’ll have to play with the settings a bit. 

It’s just my VB99 into GarageBand via USB. Using a bit of compression and reverb as normal. Cheers 🥂 

Oh here’s the track if you fancy playing along:

Thanks, that’s great ped 👍

Lol, I see where you are coming from. 

F natural minor is 1, 2, b3, 4, 5, b6, b7

This gives Fm7, Gm7b5, Abmaj7, Bbm7, Cm7, Dbmaj7, Eb7

It is, I guess, enharmonically ok to call the sixth chord, Dbmaj7, a C#maj7, but as you imply, it’s not in the key signature (4 flats). 

Apologies for the digression... 

@ped The pickups are indeed humbuckers. Very low impedance, so plenty of top end, but they do not have a big output, and so need the preamp to boost the signal. No active/passive switch possible here...

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 30/01/2021 at 13:39, funkle said:

Lol, I see where you are coming from. 

F natural minor is 1, 2, b3, 4, 5, b6, b7

This gives Fm7, Gm7b5, Abmaj7, Bbm7, Cm7, Dbmaj7, Eb7

It is, I guess, enharmonically ok to call the sixth chord, Dbmaj7, a C#maj7, but as you imply, it’s not in the key signature (4 flats). 

Apologies for the digression... 

@ped The pickups are indeed humbuckers. Very low impedance, so plenty of top end, but they do not have a big output, and so need the preamp to boost the signal. No active/passive switch possible here...

Random thread resurrection bit I've been playing along with this clip with my other basses to make a comparison video

Interesting to read this - I didn't notice and now see what you mean but it highlights how I just play along with things without knowing what I'm doing. I keep meaning to learn more!

• Like 2

• 2 years later...