Why become a member? ×

The 35" Scale

elsharko

I've decided after going through a weath of 5-stringers that the 34" scale just doesnt cut it for me tone-wise. I know there's quite a few 35" basses out there but Im still suprised they're as uncommon as they are?

So I thought Id start a list for all those dedicated long-scale players out there. Please add any and all you can think of and your thoughts on them - and your thoughts on this subject in general.

Any pics you have would be good too.

I'm going to start it off with the [b]Lakland Skyline Darryl Jones 5[/b] - one of the most wonderful things ever. I wish they'd make a US version!

Edited by elsharko

Yes, many are. Lakland, Status (headed), Yamaha TRB series, etc.

The other advantage of the 35" scale is that you can lessen the string guage more easily without the associated neck adjustment issues. As long as you use a sensible LH technique (ie., the whole hand covering just one tone [or three fret gaps] below the 7th), there's really no difference.

I own several 5 strings in 34, 35 and 36" scale and to me the 35" ones sound the least convincing. Admittedly the longer and shorter basses were far more expensive, but it confirms for me that the overall quality of the bass is more important than simply the speaking length of the strings.

Spector Euro 5 and 6 and even some Status 5's were made in 35" scale. I don't think there's a huge amount of difference between 34 and 35, but the difference between 34" and 36" scale is quite noticable in terms of feel. Hard to say in terms of sound though as I've never tried two basses that were otherwise identical in construction.

Jeez, I wish someone would do a masters thesis on aspects of bass guitar construction. It would put a lot of conjecture and assumptions to bed.

I'm no scientist but having played 5 and 6-strings of most the major makes for about the last 20 years there are several factors in the tightness of sound, and also B-string response:

Scale Length
String material and diameter
Tuning (dropped or standard)
Body wood
Neck wood and construction (bolt on or thru-neck)
Frets
Pickups and electronics

Of these I believe the most important qualities are the woods, construction quality and pickups. I've played and owned several basses with 33", 34", 35", 36" and 37" and found that there is little benefit tonally to be had from extended scale length. The feel of the string is different due to increased tension, and the sound is a little clearer, but having played a number of Overwaters at 36" and Dingwalls at 37" I don't like the sound that produces. The best B-strings i have ever played came from a Ken Smith (34"), Warwick (34") and my new MTD (35"). All three were very well made with properly seasoned woods and high quality electronics. it's not just about price either - the Ibanez GWB45 has a great B and it is again 34" (and under £500). Unless you like the feel of a very extended scale I don't believe the extra scale length is worth the discomfort from wider spaced frets in the first position (which is where we do the bulk of bass playing, right?)

[quote name='XB26354' post='437044' date='Mar 17 2009, 11:32 AM']snip.............Of these I believe the most important qualities are the woods.................snip[/quote]

Good God man, don't let ARGH see this :)

I had(and sold) an Ibanez BTB 5 string that had a 35" scale. The B string on it was great. In fact the BTB 4 that I have is also 35. I don't really notice that much of a difference in feel between that and a 34

[quote name='Tinman' post='437572' date='Mar 17 2009, 05:18 PM']Good God man, don't let ARGH see this :)

I had(and sold) an Ibanez BTB 5 string that had a 35" scale. The B string on it was great. In fact the BTB 4 that I have is also 35. I don't really notice that much of a difference in feel between that and a 34[/quote]

Given the amount of laminates that Jim Fleeting uses, aren't ARGH's basses mostly glue?

...and why the hell has this thread been pinned?

Edited by EBS_freak

[quote name='ARGH' post='437594' date='Mar 17 2009, 05:31 PM']Oh its alright....

Its ok to be wrong,good construction is a good thing,just dont think it actually is the greatest influence upon tone.[/quote]
Then in your opinion (with your reasons) what is?

• 4 weeks later...

[quote]Then in your opinion (with your reasons) what is?[/quote]

Surely good construction is more related to playabilty ? Most tone is the result of pups and amps etc. the subtleties introduced by wood choice etc. are largely lost on the people who actually listen to the music you produce.
Just my opnion as a sub-par plonker you understand :)

no, good points Grumble.

Guild Pilot re-issue is 35" and it was a better sounding 5 than any of the Warwick, Fender , MusicMan, Ibanez and Yamaha I tried against it. Put on a Graph-Tec nut and dropped some Bartolini's in approx 550 pounds in your money I got a 5 string I really like.

Cort, Dean, Elrick, Fodera, Kenneth Lawrence, Sandberg, Börjes use 35 scale for some of their 5ers/6ers.

I feel that the 35 scale has one big problem which is that the high (d+g) strings of a 5 string bass have too much tension resulting in a harsh, thinner tone.

I think it is more a question of construction as i feel the b string of my Ray 5 and Marleaux Consat 5 to be up to par with
basses of longer than 34 scales.

Edited by caruso

[quote name='caruso' post='462737' date='Apr 15 2009, 09:36 AM']Cort, Dean, Elrick, Fodera, Kenneth Lawrence, Sandberg, Börjes use 35 scale for some of their 5ers/6ers.

I feel that the 35 scale has one big problem which is that the high (d+g) strings of a 5 string bass have too much tension resulting in a harsh, thinner tone.

I think it is more a question of construction as i feel the b string of my Ray 5 and Marleaux Consat 5 to be up to par with
basses of longer than 34 scales.[/quote]

Just a query - what gauge strings are you using?

Well, i use La Bella HRS 45/65/85/105/128 as i find the bstring to be the most defined of all brands, good tension on all strings, not as high as Rotos and they feel a little bit softer than Rotos.

Thicker b strings give me the feel of playing a steel bar without giving me the possibility of tose subtle playing nuances.

On the cheaper front, the Spector Performers are 35" as are Ibanez BTB. On the higher end of the scale, Mark Pulcinella basses are 35".

My observation is that some 34" necks seem longer and less easy to play than some 35". I used to think my old Thunderbird was 35" but it's was a 34". I guess it's to do with the neck's integration with the body, and also neck-dive balance.

So up to now we have (including a few additions of my own):

Börjes
Cort
Dean
Elrick
ESP
Fodera
Guild Pilot
Ibanez BTB
ken Lawrence
Lakland
Mike Lull
Modulus
MTD
Peavey Cirrus
Roscoe
Pulcinella
Sandberg
Spector Euro
Status (headed)
Traben
Yamaha TRB

I just sold a Stingray 5 that was 34" and had a great B. I've tried tons of other Stingrays that didn't sound anywhere near as nice - same electronics and pickup so I'm guessing that either the construction or the woods had something to do with it. I can definitely tell a difference with the two basses I currently own - totally different pickups and circuit both both are really solidly well made with high quality woods. One other important factor I forgot to mention - strings! I have used DR HiBeams for about 7 years now and they have the best sounding B I've come across. I tried tapered strings and while there is definition, the meat of the string is missing, plus palm muting is really difficult...

Edited by XB26354

[quote name='iamthewalrus' post='469970' date='Apr 22 2009, 08:18 PM']I think Overwater even do a 36"?[/quote]
According to their website, they'll do 38":
[url="http://www.overwaterbasses.com/price-list.htm"]http://www.overwaterbasses.com/price-list.htm[/url]
Any ideas what they mean by "low F"? You're supposed to tune F-Bb-Eb-Ab?

I think low F would be a low F# a fourth below the low B found on some/most 5 and 6 string basses. There are guys who go down to C# a fourth below the F#.

My ACG has a 35" scale (different scale lengths can specified!).

I have to agree with others on here in that the scale length is not the be-all-and-end-all. Every bass has to be weighed up on it's own and not chucked to the side because the scale length is "wrong".

Edited by 7string