Why become a member? ×

Boss GT-1000 Core.

dave_bass5

Whilst I am not going to elaborate like some undoubtedly will want me to do. My small board is now a Core, with an FI in loop one, a Source Audio Aftershock in loop 2 (no Y cables needed), with an external TRS 2 button switch and a Morningstar MC3.

Full midi controlled.

Fewer bells and whistles than my Line6 LT, the UI is not as good as the Line6, but it sounds fantastic and is bulletproof. Not what I would class the Stomp it replaced.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, HazBeen said:

Whilst I am not going to elaborate like some undoubtedly will want me to do. My small board is now a Core, with an FI in loop one, a Source Audio Aftershock in loop 2 (no Y cables needed), with an external TRS 2 button switch and a Morningstar MC3.

Full midi controlled.

Fewer bells and whistles than my Line6 LT, the UI is not as good as the Line6, but it sounds fantastic and is bulletproof. Not what I would class the Stomp it replaced.

Aha. So you're obviously pleased with it. Do you know of you have access to the older Boss multi effect presets for bass units, on the unit itself or via the Web? 

4 hours ago, uk_lefty said:

Aha. So you're obviously pleased with it. Do you know of you have access to the older Boss multi effect presets for bass units, on the unit itself or via the Web? 

I have no idea to be honest, I built all my patches from scratch.

The thing that really won me over was the octaver (which sounds like an OC2), the build and  sound quality and the 2 loops. To me it sounds marginally better than my Stomp (now sold) and I could take another pedal off the board (ie the octaver). This was enough to accept a slightly steeper learning curve and slightly more cumbersome UI.

Edited by HazBeen
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
7 hours ago, stewblack said:

Anyone got one of these able to advise me? Can't connect to my PC so unable to use the software to edit it. Also unable to connect to my tablet (android) via the Widi Jack. Driving me mildly insane having spent two days on this....

Didn't you have a similar issue with the Hotone Ampero Stomp 2.

Sounds maybe like an issue with the PC and cables then, if it's impacting both these rather tasty multifxs you've got? 

Why can't you connect - do you mean it just doesn't work, or for instance you can't connect because there is an alligator between you and the effect pedal? What happens when you try to connect (assuming it isn't the alligator issue). I wouldn't expect the Widi to work, they seem pretty fussy.

23 hours ago, stewblack said:

Anyone got one of these able to advise me? Can't connect to my PC so unable to use the software to edit it. Also unable to connect to my tablet (android) via the Widi Jack. Driving me mildly insane having spent two days on this....

Whats the problem you're having with the widi jack? I followed a video on YouTube, it sounds silly but i had loads of issues with the app not connecting and turned out it was just the in/out the wrong way around in the core 🤦‍♂️

16 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Didn't you have a similar issue with the Hotone Ampero Stomp 2.

Sounds maybe like an issue with the PC and cables then, if it's impacting both these rather tasty multifxs you've got? 

I wondered about that too, but tons of folk have the same issue with the Ampero, and plenty of other pedals connect ok to the pc. 

15 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

Why can't you connect - do you mean it just doesn't work, or for instance you can't connect because there is an alligator between you and the effect pedal? What happens when you try to connect (assuming it isn't the alligator issue). I wouldn't expect the Widi to work, they seem pretty fussy.

I have got the Widi working so I can use my tablet but the alligator is still causing me problems. The computer either doesn't know I've connected anything or it knows but says that the hardware has failed in some way.

59 minutes ago, MrDinsdale said:

Whats the problem you're having with the widi jack? I followed a video on YouTube, it sounds silly but i had loads of issues with the app not connecting and turned out it was just the in/out the wrong way around in the core 🤦‍♂️

All sorted now, just a little fiddly at first.

• Like 3

Glad you got it sorted. Despite being a little ugly at first the actual UI on the unit is pretty awesome, after a little familiarisation I found it super quick to make adjustments. Annoyingly I had that realisation as soon as i ordered the Widi jack bit to be fair its great to have options!

17 hours ago, MrDinsdale said:

Glad you got it sorted. Despite being a little ugly at first the actual UI on the unit is pretty awesome, after a little familiarisation I found it super quick to make adjustments. Annoyingly I had that realisation as soon as i ordered the Widi jack bit to be fair its great to have options!

I haven't taken to editing on the pedal itself very quickly. Other systems have seemed easier to get to grips with. 

Having said that, I am currently laid low with the lurgy and lacing my shoes seems a deeply complex task at the moment!

What I will say is the sound from this unit is phenomenal. The bass presets I installed (thanks to the Widi Jack) sound absolutely incredible, so my inability to grapple with the many, many options isn't hampering my enjoyment at all.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, stewblack said:

I haven't taken to editing on the pedal itself very quickly. Other systems have seemed easier to get to grips with. 

Having said that, I am currently laid low with the lurgy and lacing my shoes seems a deeply complex task at the moment!

What I will say is the sound from this unit is phenomenal. The bass presets I installed (thanks to the Widi Jack) sound absolutely incredible, so my inability to grapple with the many, many options isn't hampering my enjoyment at all.

Yeah its an awesome unit, awesome interface too for recording. It does take a little time to get used to i think but once it clicked I found it way quicker and easier to use than the touchscreen stuff like Headrush etc.

It was all about the 3 divider blocks for me, they unlock so many options once you start getting deeper. 

Hope you feel better soon!

• 2 weeks later...

i joined the GT-1000 Core club yesterday.  I've got to say this is the best sounding floor based digital multi I've heard, at least once I'd put it in bass mode.  The ability create 3 virtual loops as well as the preset parallel loops is fantastic.  I too had trouble connecting it to my Mac.  Turned out after an hour of reinstalling drivers etc it was a dodgy USB lead.  D'oh!

Edited by clauster
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, clauster said:

i joined the GT-1000 Core club yesterday.  I've got to say this is the best sounding floor based digital multi I've heard, at least once I'd put it in bass mode.  The ability create 3 virtual loops as well as the preset parallel loops is fantastic.  I too had trouble connecting it to my Mac.  Turned out after an hour of reinstalling drivers etc it was a dodgy USB lead.  D'oh!

Congrats - that sounds really positive! I'm still tempted by one of these! What other digital multis have you previously had?

34 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Congrats - that sounds really positive! I'm still tempted by one of these! What other digital multis have you previously had?

Nothing recent.  Line 6 Pod XT is about it.  I have had a play on the GT-100 and had a quick go on the Pod Go last weekend.  For my old originals band a tuner, comp and Rat type distortion did me nicely on bass.

Edited by clauster

• 2 weeks later...

GT-1000 Core is on sale at Kenny's and Scan for £514. Seems worth shopping around as most places are >£600.  £629 at Thomann (who quite often seem expensive nowadays, due to exchange rates perhaps?).

I'm within the return window for a GT-100 I bought (£488)  so am considering if it is worth swopping:

GT-1000 Core wins at:

• 3 parallel paths (vs 1)
  • 24 effect blocks (vs 15)
  • 2 fx loops (vs 1)
  • 7 dials (vs 6)
  • 2 inputs (vs 1)
  • A few extra effects: Sansamp sim & DD200 being the ones I'd use most, others seem a bit of a novelty (like sitar, slicer). 
  • 96kHz sampling rate (vs 48kHz) (I'm not really fussed with that though as 48kHz is more than CD quality, I doubt many people could hear the difference)
  • Mastering effects 
  • Metronome
  • Smaller
  • 9v 670mA (vs I think about double that for the GX-100),  so it can be powered via a current doubler from my power brick whereas the GT-100 needs its own power supply. 

GT-100 wins at:

• 5 more footswitches
  • Bigger screen, in colour, touchscreen
  • Expression pedal (with 'toe press' switch and light)
  • Extra output for headphones 
  • Can add bluetooth control
  • A bit cheaper - even with the Core being on sale (GT-100 £488 vs Core £514).

It's a tough one, the GT-100 is simpler to edit on the unit and use like a stompbox rather than pre-planning everything with presets, the Core is more powerful in a smaller size.  Either way, it's a good dilema to have!

Edited by SumOne

48 minutes ago, SumOne said:

I'm within the return window for a GT-100 I bought (£488)  so am considering if it is worth swopping:

Considering all your plusses and minus (and having not tried or even really looked at either), everything in your plus of the GT100 is something that can be added to the GT1000 (extra buttons, footpedal etc), wheras mostly none of the GT1000 can be added to GT100. I would get the GT1000, and then if I wanted the buttons / footpedel etc I could add that externally pretty easily. It is a pain to have external stuff, but it seems better value at almost the same price

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Woodinblack said:

Considering all your plusses and minus (and having not tried or even really looked at either), everything in your plus of the GT100 is something that can be added to the GT1000 (extra buttons, footpedal etc), wheras mostly none of the GT1000 can be added to GT100. I would get the GT1000, and then if I wanted the buttons / footpedel etc I could add that externally pretty easily. It is a pain to have external stuff, but it seems better value at almost the same price

Done! (Well, Core ordered...hopefully the reputable shop I got the GT-100 from will give me a refund!)

I think you are right. I like the GT-100 and have no complaints, but for a similar price the Core is more powerful and can add footswitches & expression pedal when needed, or use it on its own as a smaller unit when those are not needed.  It's good being more pedalboard friendly (size and powering) as I reckon I'll add a C4 or FI that can be midi-controlled because I'm yet to find a multi-fx that gets anywhere near what they can do as synths and filters. 

Edited by SumOne
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, SumOne said:

Done! (Well, Core ordered...hopefully the reputable shop I got the GT-100 from will give me a refund!)

I think you are right. I like the GT-100 and have no complaints, but for a similar price the Core is more powerful and can add footswitches & expression pedal when needed, or use it on its own as a smaller unit when those are not needed.  It's good being more pedalboard friendly (size and powering) as I reckon I'll add a C4 or FI that can be midi-controlled because I'm yet to find a multi-fx that gets anywhere near what they can do as synths and filters. 

Really looking forward to your detailed review of the unit and how it stacks up against some of the other multis you've had.

• Like 1

GT-1000 Core arrived early this morning (amazing how quickly you can get stuff nowadays). A few hours of using it and it seems great.  (Edit: I've added more detail after a few days of use).

I suppose the big competitor is the Stomp and I think Boss wins on most counts:

• Sounds better (I can't test alongside a Stomp so perhaps that's my memory playing tricks on me but I've owned the Line 6 Effects, Pog Go, Stomp, Stomp XL so have a good understanding of them and I don't remember any of them sounding as good, they always felt like a good idea but never quite do it for me). 
  • Smaller, and with mostly top mounted jacks, seeems a bit tougher, lower power current needed (670mA), so altogether more pedalboard friendly.
  • 2 FX loops (better than the Stomp 1). 2 loops means you can do stuff like change the order of the loops in different presets, or leave pedals on and just activate them with their loop setting in a preset. Even if not using for actual individual pedal fx loops it is useful: can use as extra outputs (can just use it as a 'send' and assign where in the chain), or extra input (can just use it as Aux in).
  • A lot more powerful processing than the Stomp. 26 effects blocks and 3 paths (each with divider and mixer settings) vs 8 blocks (sometimes less) and 2 paths for the Stomp.
    • It might seem overkill to have 26 blocks and 3 paths but it means you don't have to be stingy with things: e.g. A phaser can easily have its own split dynamic signal path and EQ and and delay and still leave you with plenty of space to do similar for other effects and amp sims etc. And there's additional main and 2nd output blocks each with EQ settings and individual speaker sims and IR.
    • There are limitations though, those 26 blocks are partly fixed:  e.g. 4 of them can only be set as a basic delay (and 1 as a more complex 'master delay') i.e. you cannot assign any other type of effect to those 4, likewise 4 can only be EQ, 2 only distortion, 1 only chorus etc. But you can do things like add more chorus or distortion effects by using one of the 3x FX blocks. I don't think it's an issue as I can't see myself needing more blocks in a preset, but worth being aware incase for some reason you wanted a signal chain with 26 distortions in a row! It isnt a 26 block free for all. https://rolandus.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360052665292-GT-1000-GT-1000CORE-How-many-effects-can-be-used-in-a-single-patch-

The main downsides vs the Stomp are the interface: 

• The screen interface isn't as user-friendly on the Core, at least not to start with. The Stomp is more intuative in almost every way and is like looking at nice Apple Mac icons, whereas the Core is reminds me of 1990's MS DOS prompt and menus.
  • The Stomp has a better thought out way of using the hardware, particularaly the footswitches: They are similar in how you can use footswitches to scroll through presets or have a mode to turn on/off effects, the Stomp also has 'soft touch' footswitch extra control though, and also has 'snapshots' (but can do similar just with a copied and edited preset in the Core). Also, the Stomp has useful dimmed footswich lights when effects are disengaged to show you what type of effect you will be activating - the Core does not.
  •  It is a shame that the Core has the 5x knobs (vs 3x Stomp) but they can only be assigned at a global level e.g. assign a knob for BPM control means every other preset must then also use that knob as its BPM control. Also, their 'press' function doesn't do anything in that manual mode which seems like a missed opportunity. 
  • Balanced outputs with the Stomp vs unbalanced for the Core. That's not actually an issue for me though as my amp has a pre EQ XLR. If it is an issue for anyone doing long cable runs to a mixer and they pick up interferance then passive DI boxes can got cheaply. 

Overall, I think he Stomp has a better interface but the Core is better for just about everything else. 

It is possible to edit everything on the pedal but that isn't something I'd want to dig into too much by clicking through menus on the pedal in a hurry (neither would you on a Stomp though) so it is probably best used with a preset mindset, but it could also be good for spontanious stuff: Adding a dual footswitch means live control of 5x effects (and potentially multiple being assigned per footswitch) and an expression pedal will be good for controlling things like wah and delays. I think a FI or C4 would also go well with it as there is no synth and the filters aren't great (similar to the Stomp), and I assume they can be midi controlled by the Core. 

I'd recommend it if you have some patience with the interface and the mindset of planning out presets.

This is the best video I've seen to demonstrate features in more detail:

Edited by SumOne
  • Like 1

I avoided editing directly on the pedal for a while, even got the WIDI jack so i could edit via the app. After a little time using the unit to edit fx I started to find it super quick to edit on.

Now i can safely say I'd take the CORE screen/editing workflow over the Headrush etc with touch.

Being able to run it off a single Cioks 660ma output is a huge plus too!

• Like 1