Why become a member? ×

A sad day

niceguyhomer

My new band's getting together to record a demo today but I can't really get worked up about it as I would normally. It's kinda overshadowed by the stark fact that tonight's the final public gig of Nice Guy Eddie - the soul band I've been in for nearly 4 years. It's at our home pub and it'll be a blast but I can't help thinking what a waste of a bloody good unit as anyone who's seen us in the past will testify.

Let's hope Liverpool thrash United 8-0 later today otherwise I'll be slashing my wrists :)

Edited by niceguyhomer

My soul/funk function band also seems to be going through a bit of a bad patch but the last gig we did was awesome and made us realise what a waste it would be to lose it all.

I am doing new projects now to get my "new music" fix but think we will keep doing two or three a month with SOUL7 as it is great fun.

Know the feeling Al and it isn't pleasant. I was in a band which had the same line-up from inception and we were going 15 years when it started to unravel. Unfortunately in the space of 12-18mths it went from a tight, well respected unit to a shadow of its former self and it was indeed a sad day when the drummer and I got the whole band together and called it a day. I have to say though that it can be cathartic and the drummer and I have gone on together to do a few things which have started to gel into something which might rival past glories... just trying to figure out whether 15 years down the line with this band it'll end up being like 'The Zimmers'.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqfFrCUrEbY"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqfFrCUrEbY[/url]

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='434374' date='Mar 14 2009, 08:14 AM']Sorry to hear that, Al. It's a grim feeling that I've had hanging about for a while, too. Thankfully, it's been resolved.

There's nowt worse than the impending demise of a band that you love being a part of.

Can I ask why you're all throwing the towel in?[/quote]

It's a bit of a story - we've had trouble keeping drummers and have had a temp for a while now. He's given notice and so being at the proverbial crossroads, a debate sprung up over which direction to turn if we could be arsed finding a new drummer. The guitarist and me wanted to move away from soul but the singer didn't so things got a bit sour.

It all went quiet so I took the step of putting some ads on muso boards just in case and nobody seemed that interested so I found another band(s). I told NGE that if they wanted to carry on I'd leave the new band but the singer doesn't want to carry on so that's it then.

I think the underlying reason is we've done too many gigs in the last 2 years and we're all a bit jaded. Driving 40 miles to play to 6 people in the middle of winter ain't much fun I guess.

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='434379' date='Mar 14 2009, 08:24 AM']just trying to figure out whether 15 years down the line with this band it'll end up being like 'The Zimmers'.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqfFrCUrEbY"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqfFrCUrEbY[/url][/quote]

Random fact of the day... our drummer produced that video. He said the old folks were a hoot.

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='434385' date='Mar 14 2009, 08:29 AM']It's a bit of a story - we've had trouble keeping drummers and have had a temp for a while now. He's given notice and so being at the proverbial crossroads, a debate sprung up over which direction to turn if we could be arsed finding a new drummer. The guitarist and me wanted to move away from soul but the singer didn't so things got a bit sour.

It all went quiet so I took the step of putting some ads on muso boards just in case and nobody seemed that interested so I found another band(s). I told NGE that if they wanted to carry on I'd leave the new band but the singer doesn't want to carry on so that's it then.

I think the underlying reason is we've done too many gigs in the last 2 years and we're all a bit jaded. Driving 40 miles to play to 6 people in the middle of winter ain't much fun I guess.[/quote]

Shame... I'm sure you'll find something just as rewarding!

My new blues band has huge potential - they're all well established musos on the blues circuit but fancied doing something a bit different so they formed 'Dr. Truth' with yours truly on get this...a Precision bass :) ah..my nipples explode with delight - been waiting years to use a P.

There's gonna be a few gigs in Europe (blues fests) and I believe we're doing the British Stage at Colne Blues Festival in August (Fri night).

If the demo is ok, I'll post a sample or two if someone'll tell me how to do it.

Edited by niceguyhomer

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='434385' date='Mar 14 2009, 08:29 AM']It's a bit of a story - we've had trouble keeping drummers and have had a temp for a while now. He's given notice and so being at the proverbial crossroads, a debate sprung up over which direction to turn if we could be arsed finding a new drummer. The guitarist and me wanted to move away from soul but the singer didn't so things got a bit sour.

I think the underlying reason is we've done too many gigs in the last 2 years and we're all a bit jaded. Driving 40 miles to play to 6 people in the middle of winter ain't much fun I guess.[/quote]

Take a year off and have a set date to meet up and see how things are going in a year's time.
Leave the door open.

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='434362' date='Mar 14 2009, 07:54 AM']As much as I detest Man U I have to admit, yet 'a bloody gain', that they're probably the best team in Europe :)[/quote]

well they did win the european cup last year :D

Sorry to hear about that. Disbanding a band always sucks but hey let's hope you'll have a blast with this new band you're in. :rolleyes:

I had the same experience myself recently Al and it was bittersweet. But all things must come to pass eventually. Doesn't mean you can't keep working with your band mates in a different capacity either, does it? Good luck for your blues band too, it sounds really promising.

Hi Al, that's a coincidence - I played my last official job with the PHD trio (15 years' worth) last night. A really good band, but I've got so much playing work in this year that I can't fit a deal in & they don't have the work of previous years, either. All good things...

I'm sure something else will come up for you. Good bass players are a rare commodity.

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='434350' date='Mar 14 2009, 07:10 AM']but I can't help thinking what a waste of a bloody good unit as anyone who's seen us in the past will testify.[/quote]

+1 to that. Al, you know I feel the same about NGE. I thought you were a crackin band and the concept was brilliant. Loads of energy and Soul done your own way. Also know how it fell apart as the same thing happened with us, only with a Vocalist. Decent drummers are as rare as rockin horse sh*t and it is soul destrying holding auditions when the candidates aren't what you want or don't bother turning up.
Completely agree with OG and stay in touch. Who knows.
Catch up with you soon.

[quote name='Jono Bolton' post='434656' date='Mar 14 2009, 03:33 PM']Was 4-1 good enough?[/quote]

Good enough for me (and I'm a Gooner!).

Just seeing Ferguson's face after the final whistle will keep me happy for the rest of the day :)

Shame about the band stuff but maybe use it as inspiration to do something else that's more to your liking. Always one of the problems of playing with the same people for a long time is that there's always going to be some who don't want to change or learn new stuff.