Why become a member? ×

Vintage Fenders

Reggaebass

5 minutes ago, dodgnofski said:

If the recent Reverb sales graphs are accurate, why are 60’s Fenders still so expensive - am I missing something?

IMG_8222.jpeg

IMG_8221.jpeg

IMG_8220.jpeg

Do those graphs represent 60's basses only, or all vintage (30+ years old) basses?

Edited by Sparky Mark

Because it is based on small numbers. A graph like that works well if you are selling a lot of things, current fender P basses etc, but if you are only selling a small number and the value of those things is based on hugely intangible things such as appearance and perceived authenticity, it is fairly useless.

• Like 1

13 orders is not statistically significant for this. Given as other people have stated, prices will vary widely based on perceived rarity, condition,phases.of the moon or anything else. 

3 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Because it is based on small numbers. A graph like that works well if you are selling a lot of things, current fender P basses etc, but if you are only selling a small number and the value of those things is based on hugely intangible things such as appearance and perceived authenticity, it is fairly useless.

It also doesn’t take into account variations. A custom colour instrument will be worth more than a refin, for example.

What’s interesting is that Andy Baxter has the best collection of vintage basses I’ve ever seen, but there’s barely any turnover.

That’s more significant than the graph here.

Yes Mark, good point -  it does say ‘all models’ - even though the search criteria I entered was for a Jamerson type Jobbie - so would that mean all finishes etc?

IMG_8258.jpeg

IMG_8262.jpeg

Edited by dodgnofski

58 minutes ago, Burns-bass said:

What’s interesting is that Andy Baxter has the best collection of vintage basses I’ve ever seen, but there’s barely any turnover.

That’s more significant than the graph here.

That's indicative that the market does have price sensitivity. Supply is limited, demand is supposedly high but that demand isn't enough to overcome prices. If the guitars were 10% of their price, would he have any left?

That's not a comment either good or bad about Andys prices, more an economic argument 

Over a month ago now, with a little trepidation, I left my 74 Jazz with Jon Shuker for a refret and new nut.  Also had a little of the slickness taken off the back of the neck.

Had it back a couple of weeks and could not be happier. Plays like a dream.

If you’re considering doing this I’d say get it done, you’ll wish, just like I have, that you’d have done it sooner.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, mike f said:

Over a month ago now, with a little trepidation, I left my 74 Jazz with Jon Shuker for a refret and new nut.  Also had a little of the slickness taken off the back of the neck.

If you’re considering doing this I’d say get it done, you’ll wish, just like I have, that you’d have done it sooner.

I'm still thinking about having my '73 Jazz done. The frets are virtually non existent now, but it still plays well. I'm worried that everything I like about this bass might disappear if I have it done!

11 minutes ago, mike f said:

Would you mind sharing a close up of the frets/binding/nut now it's been done? Also what wire did you settle on?

7 minutes ago, ossyrocks said:

I'm still thinking about having my '73 Jazz done. The frets are virtually non existent now, but it still plays well. I'm worried that everything I like about this bass might disappear if I have it done!

I had the same fears but they all disappeared as soon as I plugged it in and played it. Think of it like this; everything else has aged wonderfully and now it’s ready to be played like the day it was made. 

2 minutes ago, SurroundedByManatees said:

Nothing wrong with a good refret!

Exactly, a good refret is a positive for a bass you love. A bad one however… 

9 minutes ago, ossyrocks said:

Would you mind sharing a close up of the frets/binding/nut now it's been done? Also what wire did you settle on?

Good question. Don’t know! It was the size bigger than the one Jon initially suggested and they’re stainless steel.

1 minute ago, mike f said:

Good question. Don’t know! It was the size bigger than the one Jon initially suggested and they’re stainless steel.

They do look like big frets!

Just now, mike f said:

This part of the neck was particularly battered beforehand and I now just marvel at how it looks, and feels. 

IMG_4157.jpeg

Looks like you got a nice low action there too 

1 minute ago, Reggaebass said:

Looks like you got a nice low action there too 

As requested but I actually took the D and the G half a turn up at the bridge after a few days of playing.
This thing sings! 

• Like 1