Why become a member? ×

Vintage Fenders

Reggaebass

6 minutes ago, rwillett said:

Welcome to supply, demand and inflation :(

More factors than that involved. Speculation for one. People are investing in vintage guitars with the hope that they’ll increase in value. No guarantee they will, of course. Dealers have a vested interest in pumping prices and people get influenced by it. You can see the crazy prices people are asking for stuff that was quite rightly considered inferior quality (when it was made).

The whole thing comes from a generation that considers the 60s and 70s to be the peak of culture. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ossyrocks said:

£2.5k would have bought you one maybe two or three years ago. My '73 was £2.6k exactly two years ago. I do think this is a nice bass for a decent price right now. It should be a B neck, mine is, at 41mm.

Rob

Were B necks standard in the period? I thought they were made to order and C was still standard. Happy to be wrong  because I find B width much comfier.

3 minutes ago, OliverBlackman said:

Were B necks standard in the period? I thought they were made to order and C was still standard. Happy to be wrong  because I find B width much comfier.

C necks until 67 68 then B necks, but I have seen a 67 B, pretty rare though 

Edited by Reggaebass
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, OliverBlackman said:

It's why I have no desire for a 60's Precision Bass. Thank the Lord !

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ossyrocks said:

It's why I have no desire for a 60's Precision Bass. Thank the Lord !

I don’t mind the 60s ones but the 41 just feels so good to me, it’s one of the reasons I haven’t bought an earlier one yet 

Edited by Reggaebass
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

B is 40/41 and C is 44 pete 

I thought that 50s models were 44 and all of the 60s ones were 41 - you learn something new everyday!

I had a AVRI 57 P bass for a few years. It was a nice bass but the neck felt a little wide. I much prefer the 41mm wide nut, which feels better to me than a jazz bass or the earlier, wider nut, P basses. You can tell that I started out on 70s P basses...! 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, walshy said:

Yeah I’ve had a few, normally 70/71 P with an A ( Jazz nut ) neck. Best of both worlds 👌

Funnily enough, I had once a Mayones jazz bass with a 41 / B nut width. That was a really great bass to play, although I could never get it sound just how I wanted it to. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

Very nice, the A necks wasn’t standard ,and as far as I know were specifically ordered, not so many of them around , I missed out on a nice one a few years back 

I even seem to remember I have a J. Torres neck on my Precision. It's a fantastic neck, especially after I had one of NL's best luthiers refret it.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, BassAgent said:

I even seem to remember I have a J. Torres neck on my Precision. It's a fantastic neck, especially after I had one of NL's best luthiers refret it.

My '73 Precision.

1973-fender-precision-bass-26.jpg

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, rodney72a said:

How about this one? Will be interesting to see what it will go for...

https://www.christies.com/lot/lot-6465807?ldp_breadcrumb=back&intObjectID=6465807&from=salessummary&lid=1

That’s really nice , I normally go for sunburst or white but that’s faded to a great colour 

26 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

That’s really nice , I normally go for sunburst or white but that’s faded to a great colour 

My least favourite colour by a mile but I’m sure the collectors/ dealers will be all over it because of the rarity. 

• Like 1