Why become a member? ×

Vintage Fenders

Reggaebass

On 08/12/2023 at 18:21, Reggaebass said:

From my understanding late 73 was when they started changing from tort to black and both were around in 74 , with most of the black guards having the thumb rest E side, haven’t seen a 75 myself , I suppose it’s possible there was still a few lurking around 

Those guards are the short-lived printed tort guards that started showing up mid to late 74 and ran on through to 75, they didn't get a lot of them but they did go out on quite a few P's over those two years. If you ever get to see one up close you can see the primitive pixellation pattern they used to create them. I don't think they were that appealing so the bulk of sunburst P's in those two years ended up with black guards.

• Thanks 1

On 10/01/2024 at 16:47, Reggaebass said:

Anyone ever seen a logo like this on a 65 L serial number Jazz , I’ve never seen it before 

IMG_0785.jpeg

Just to join the pile-on: shouldn't that be Corp rather than Inc?

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, nige1968 said:

Just to join the pile-on: shouldn't that be Corp rather than Inc?

No idea nige, it’s not correct for a 65 and it’s one I’ve never seen on anything ever before, very strange 

4 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

No idea nige, it’s not correct for a 65 and it’s one I’ve never seen on anything ever before, very strange 

No me neither, but even if they did you'd think they'd get the company name right.

I claim no expertise but I'm not sure there ever was a 'Fender Musical Instruments Inc'.

The rest of it looks OK for a Fender reissue but that red tint to the board doesn't look like the original dark rosewood, even allowing for the rest having been refinished.

Edited by nige1968

On 10/01/2024 at 16:47, Reggaebass said:

Anyone ever seen a logo like this on a 65 L serial number Jazz , I’ve never seen it before 

IMG_0785.jpeg

Even if I owned a barge pole...

Never seen a string tree that far north on a 60s Fender bass either, which makes me think not just a refin with a very wrong decal.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Velarian said:

Andy Baxter has just listed a ‘62 slab board Precision with loads of mojo.

https://www.andybaxterbass.com/collections/bass-guitars/products/1962-fender-precision-bass-sunburst-3

I saw that and I think I’ve seen it before somewhere, I remember the wear just above the pickguard, looks great 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, OliverBlackman said:

Would be ideal to have both one clean and one with mojo. I’d tell you how good it is but the lottery hasn’t been very fair.

Mine has just the right amount of mojo thank you very much! :D

Screenshot_20240113_165704_Brave.thumb.jpg.bd7d98fb630cf761c65ec4ff6c2d4401.jpg

• Haha 1

If Andy wants to have a fire sale and drop his prices by around 90% I'm more than happy to help him out by buying a few guitars. 

They are lovely guitars but outside my limited budget. I have promised myself a 62 'something' for when I retire. 

Just to be clear, I'm not knocking Andy here. These are stunning guitars in the same way a Ferrari 288 FTO is a stunning car, I can't afford that either. I understand limited supply and large demand. I work with those things every day as I try to recruit people for IT projects. So if there are any SC cleared DevOps (limited supply) here looking for work (large demand), please contact me. 

Thanks

Rob

Edited by rwillett
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, rwillett said:

If Andy wants to have a fire sale and drop his prices by around 90% I'm more than happy to help him out by buying a few guitars. 

They are lovely guitars but outside my limited budget. I have promised myself a 62 'something' for when I retire. 

Just to be clear, I'm not knocking Andy here. These are stunning guitars in the same way a Ferrari 288 FTO is a stunning car, I can't afford that either. I understand limited supply and large demand. I work with those things every day as I try to recruit people for IT projects. So if there are any SC cleared DevOps (limited supply) here looking for work (large demand), please contact me. 

Thanks

Rob

It’s a fair point. Maybe people are cashing out as the market is at an all time high?

Or maybe money is tight?

Or both!

1 hour ago, rwillett said:

. I work with those things every day as I try to recruit people for IT projects. So if there are any SC cleared DevOps (limited supply) here looking for work (large demand)

Yorkshire is a bit too much of a jog!

23 minutes ago, Burns-bass said:

It’s a fair point. Maybe people are cashing out as the market is at an all time high?

makes sense, although there are a finite number of basses, the demand for YOB basses from the earlier years increased as people had the money for them, but as time goes on the number of those people is reducing and like anything (vintage cars etc) prices can go down, seems artificially high at the moment

2 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Yorkshire is a bit too much of a jog

I'm looking for London, Manchester and Sheffield. People can work remote but need to sometimes be physically in an office. However we are going waaaaaay off topic. If anybody interested DM me.

Back to vintage basses. Apologies. 

Is that a reasonable price? It doesn’t seem that long ago that £2.5k would be appropriate for an early 70s p bass. He should really take the neck off, almost looks like a B nut from the pics. Pics of the neck pocket and pots should be minimum. 

Edited by OliverBlackman
Autocorrect
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, OliverBlackman said:

Is that a reasonable price? It doesn’t seem that long ago that £2.5k would be appropriate for an early 70s p bass. He should really take the neck off, almost looks like a B but from the pics. Pics of the neck pocket and pots should be minimum. 

I think we’re at an interesting juncture with all this. Personally, it seems mad money to me, especially without the case or chromes. The only way is up, until it isn’t.

On the other hand, it’s in great shape and won’t have that god awful inch thick poly finish they used in the later 70s.

I hope whoever buys it get on and uses it. It’s very much in the “everyday classic” category, isn’t it?

1 hour ago, OliverBlackman said:

Is that a reasonable price? It doesn’t seem that long ago that £2.5k would be appropriate for an early 70s p bass. He should really take the neck off, almost looks like a B nut from the pics. Pics of the neck pocket and pots should be minimum. 

£2.5k would have bought you one maybe two or three years ago. My '73 was £2.6k exactly two years ago. I do think this is a nice bass for a decent price right now. It should be a B neck, mine is, at 41mm.

Rob

• Like 1