Why become a member? ×

Yamaha BB615

Rich

A friend of a friend is considering buying a Yamaha BB 615, but he's after a 2nd opinion before splashing out the dosh. He's also tried Fender, Warwick, Ibanez and although the Yam is not the most expensive, for him it feels and sounds the best.
I'm happy to tell him that the Yam is a great bass and that if it feels good to him then go ahead and do it, but another 2nd opinion would be good. He's worried that the BB, quote, "would be looked down upon by real bass players".
Anybody got good or bad experiences of this bass or other BBs?

I had a BB614. They are great very well made basses that sound great too, the neck pickups does a superb Precision impression.

There are plenty of well known players that have used BB's so i'm sure it would be fine in the annual BBC Bass Fashion Awards :).

[quote name='Rich' post='433260' date='Mar 13 2009, 09:02 AM']although the Yam is not the most expensive, for him it feels and sounds the best.[/quote]

"Real" bass players would understand that this is all that matters.

Edit: oh, and I've played a Yamaha BB as my primary fretted bass for the last eight years.

S.P.

Edited by Stylon Pilson

I've had a couple of BB614's & the 5-string version is excellent, too. It's an oddity in the budget 5-string world, as the B-string portion of the bridge is extended. So you've got a 34" scale bass with a 35" scale B-string. No flappy B there, then!

All in all, excellent value for money 5-stringer with good sound, P & J adaptability & 3-band eq. Oh and not to mention Japanese build quality. What's not to like??

+1

Gigged my BB614 again last night. I love the way it plays and I think it looks the dogs too. Despite being big in the body, it's pretty light so you can throw it around a bit when you play.

Handed it to a guitarist friend after the gig to have a go and he said: "they are great these Fender basses, aren't they". :)

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='434471' date='Mar 14 2009, 10:26 AM']I've had a couple of BB614's & the 5-string version is excellent, too. It's an oddity in the budget 5-string world, as the B-string portion of the bridge is extended. So you've got a 34" scale bass with a 35" scale B-string.[/quote]

Not quite. The extended bridge decreases the break angle of the string over the saddle making it less likely to break. If the B string were a 35" scale it'd be out of tune since the fretboard is spaced for a 34" :).

• Like 1

[quote name='Rich' post='433260' date='Mar 13 2009, 09:02 AM']He's worried that the BB, quote, "would be looked down upon by real bass players".
Anybody got good or bad experiences of this bass or other BBs?[/quote]

Whoever wrote that hasn't got a f**kin' clue what they're talking about. The original BB1200 set an exceptionally high standard, when it was launched. BB series models have been played by top musicians for years. To be honest I haven't played a BB615, or for that matter a BB415, my first BB series 5-string was a BB5000A, which was an exceptionally good recording bass. But I have owned four BB series models, and every one was solid and reliable, as well as being fantastic to play - which, is the only thing that matters. So, f**k the author of that quote, I'd take substance over style every time.

By the way, what is a "real bass player" anyway? I've been playing for nearly 40 years - been signed, been dropped, been round the block - but does any of that make me any more or less a real bass player than the next guy, learner or professional?

Edited by noelk27

Calm down, calm down :) My mate's mate was the "author" of that quote, and all he means is that he knows nothing whatsoever about Yamaha basses (other than the BB feeling and sounding great), and so doesn't want to blow his hard-earned on what might have been an overpriced lemon. His bass experience is limited and that's why he was after advice. So thanks for yours too, but enough of the playground language :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Seems this thread confirms that the BBs are a top choice. Sebastian Steinberg uses a 5-string Yamaha BB5000 on stage. A classic passive neck-thru with quality build. One day, I'd love to have a Yamaha top-end six string.

Oh, and yes, I guess this is also a shameless plug for my superb BB415 for sale!!!!

• 12 years later...

Found this thread after somebody quoted it on Gumtree.

I bought a BB615 - great bass tonally with amazing playability. My only issue is the size of the body - I prefer a smaller body - if I could transfer everything into a something like a BC Nanyo I would be a very happy bunny.

• Like 1