Why become a member? ×

Ibanez Condition

Frank Blank

Just had this email regarding my order for a Ibanez SRH500 from Andertons, what would you do?

The [copy Stock description] that you have ordered is the last in stock and has been on display in our store.The condition of the guitar is as follows:

Headstock and Nut: Small ding near the fourth tuning peg.
Body Finish: quite few scratches on the top (pick scratches) and on the side and back where you put your arm.
Neck Finish: Tiny scratch by the fourth fret.
Fretboard (inc. frets): perfect.
Hardware: perfect.
Strings: like new
Accessories included: none.
Original box: No.
Case or Gig Bag included: no.
Cleaned: Yes.
Checked by: Pablo Roldan
Time and Date of inspection: 20/06/2020

1 minute ago, Frank Blank said:

No, the email ended with ‘do you want to proceed with the transaction?’ I’ve asked for pics.

That's bloody cheeky if you ask me, if you've ordered a new bass that's what you should be getting. If it's used, then there needs to be some recompense. They aren't even offering a gig bag!

• Like 1

Hi Frank, sounds like it's taken a fair bit of wear whilst on display so if you want to go ahead then I'd be looking at a sizeable discount. (Pick marks? Someone thrashing around with a pick is missing the point with one of these surely). If you can wait a few days I see Bax have them in-stock at £499.

Martin

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Martin E said:

Hi Frank, sounds like it's taken a fair bit of wear whilst on display so if you want to go ahead then I'd be looking at a sizeable discount. (Pick marks? Someone thrashing around with a pick is missing the point with one of these surely). If you can wait a few days I see Bax have them in-stock at £499.

Martin

I saw the bax one but a) I have no experience with bax and b) assumed it was iffy somehow because it was cheaper. Awaiting a call back now as the chap dealing with it was on lunch.

1 minute ago, hooky_lowdown said:

I'd request detailed pics, and decide how much discount is reasonable, and demand it. Alternatively, you'll have to wait to they get new stock. Or, cancel order and buy elsewhere.

Exactly what I’m doing. Anyone asked for an ex display discount before? How much are we talking?

Well here’s the pics. As you can see (I’ve only included the significant two, there’s damage on the neck/side of the fingerboard too), I said there’s a new one on Bax at £499 so a discount would have to be less than the Bax price, they offered me about thirty quid discount and a free lead! Ha ha, refund ahoy obviously...

24443C94-0AF9-4AF6-BA19-BBA0D18BDF42.jpeg

723B0A20-95E5-4D3A-902B-F6F868B44ABD.jpeg

That‘s appalling (looks like it’s had an argument with a studded leather jacket!) and needs to be £150 off. That’s what I got for just a small ding on my old Ric from GG. This is the kind of behaviour that gets retailers a bad reputation.

Just now, ezbass said:

That‘s appalling (looks like it’s had an argument with a studded leather jacket!) and needs to be £150 off. That’s what I got for just a small ding on my old Ric from GG. This is the kind of behaviour that gets retailers a bad reputation.

I have to say their responses were quick and polite, just delusional.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Frank Blank said:

I have to say their responses were quick and polite, just delusional.

You say delusional (nice man that you are), I say chancers (free lead, big whoop). Having dealt with Andertons in the past, this is disappointing behaviour and makes me glad I didn’t order my recent pedal purchase from them (their last one and might have had ‘in store’ use).

Edited by ezbass

5 hours ago, ezbass said:

You say delusional (nice man that you are), I say chancers (free lead, big whoop). Having dealt with Andertons in the past, this is disappointing behaviour and makes me glad I didn’t order my recent pedal purchase from them (their last one and might have had ‘in store’ use).

I totally agree they are chancing it, what makes me sad is that they’ll probably keep offering it at the ‘as new’ price and when they realise they really can’t get away with it it’ll probably go in a skip whereas at the right discount I’d have bought it.

Edited by Frank Blank
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Frank Blank said:

I saw the bax one but a) I have no experience with bax and b) assumed it was iffy somehow because it was cheaper. Awaiting a call back now as the chap dealing with it was on lunch.

Dealt with Bax a number of times and no problem at all.

Edited by BassBunny
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, ezbass said:

... (looks like it’s had an argument with a studded leather jacket!)

The more I look at it the more I think the more I think that’s right, the damage on the front might be from over enthusiastic pick usage but up on the topside there? 

1 hour ago, Frank Blank said:

I spoke to PMT about their SRH500 and apparently it’s in stock at their warehouse and hasn’t been out of the box since it was delivered to them. I might go for that one.

Sounds like a wise move. Surprised Andertons think they can afford to alienate a customer like this. I have happily bought B Stock basses from Thomann on numerous occasions and never once seen (nor would I expect to) damage like this - nor even close.

• Confused 1