Why become a member? ×

Whatever happened to Trace Elliot?

henry norton

Thunderfunk amps and Bergantino cabs are designed and manufactured by the guys who own and run the companies. Dave Funk personally signs every amp. If you phone or email you get an answer from the main man. It’s nice to be able to talk to the guy who made your gear.

For a couple of years recently we had Fred Friedlein, the original founder of Trace Elliot, as a next door neighbour out in the wilds of Suffolk. Nice guy. He runs a small PA company now (www.soundranger.com), and occasionally plays guitar in an Everly Brothers tribute band.

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='430924' date='Mar 10 2009, 08:04 PM']...still, there's always [url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-319086.html"]Talkbass[/url]. :)[/quote]
That's interesting stuff.
A bit off topic, but there's a fascinating SWR/Eden/Thunderfunk potted history on TB too.
[url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=157829&highlight=Ivan+mike"]http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.p...light=Ivan+mike[/url]
So what's this about a less-than-amicable split between Messrs. Epifani and Bergatino?

[quote name='bassmansky' post='431700' date='Mar 11 2009, 05:31 PM']:) very much worse, :rolleyes:[/quote]

Ashdown is one of the biggest brands but still very independent and based on a farm in Essex which aside from making great amps is one of the reasons I like them so much, i think once a brand becomes owned by a big corperation it often loses all the things that made them great in the first place, eg SWR, great little company then Fender bought them and since then nothing, I just hope Ashdown stays independent and doesnt cave in to some foreign company!

[quote name='chris_b' post='431685' date='Mar 11 2009, 05:10 PM']Thunderfunk amps and Bergantino cabs are designed and manufactured by the guys who own and run the companies. Dave Funk personally signs every amp. If you phone or email you get an answer from the main man. It’s nice to be able to talk to the guy who made your gear.[/quote]

+1 Jim B is certainly not averse to picking up the phone when a customer calls.

Its a good reputation to have IMO!

[quote name='phatbass787' post='431725' date='Mar 11 2009, 05:47 PM']Ashdown is one of the biggest brands but still very independent and based on a farm in Essex which aside from making great amps is one of the reasons I like them so much, i think once a brand becomes owned by a big corperation it often loses all the things that made them great in the first place, eg SWR, great little company then Fender bought them and since then nothing, I just hope Ashdown stays independent and doesnt cave in to some foreign company![/quote]

I know, they should stay independent, Mike from Ashdown has been messed about too much with corporate poo heads.

[quote name='phatbass787' post='431725' date='Mar 11 2009, 05:47 PM']Ashdown is one of the biggest brands but still very independent and based on a farm in Essex which aside from making great amps is one of the reasons I like them so much, i think once a brand becomes owned by a big corperation it often loses all the things that made them great in the first place, eg SWR, great little company then Fender bought them and since then nothing, [b]I just hope Ashdown stays independent and doesnt cave in to some foreign company![/b][/quote]

Apparently it was always part of Mark Gooday's plans to sell the company after it had become established. Which he would have done if Fender hadn't screwed him over.

I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Ashdown sell up to a larger organisation at some point.

[quote name='Musky' post='431754' date='Mar 11 2009, 06:18 PM']Apparently it was always part of Mark Gooday's plans to sell the company after it had become established. Which he would have done if Fender hadn't screwed him over.

I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Ashdown sell up to a larger organisation at some point.[/quote]

They seem to be going that way.

[quote name='phatbass787' post='431725' date='Mar 11 2009, 05:47 PM']Ashdown is one of the biggest brands but still very independent and based on a farm in Essex which aside from making great amps is one of the reasons I like them so much, i think once a brand becomes owned by a big corperation it often loses all the things that made them great in the first place, eg SWR, great little company then Fender bought them and since then nothing, I just hope Ashdown stays independent and doesnt cave in to some foreign company![/quote]
It's not necessarily 'foreign' companies that are the problem. SWR weren't bought by a foreign company. What you need to hope is that Ashdown doesn't cave in to some [i]crap[/i] company.

[quote name='martinbass7750' post='431237' date='Mar 11 2009, 08:30 AM']Last year I think. Eden got rid of all their UK distribution early last year, so I reckon it was around then. They've now gradually set up new dealers.[/quote]

I think it was before then, I remember the uproar on Talkbass! It's owned by US Music Corporation who own Wahsburn, Randall, Parker Guitars etc.

Didn't know that Genz Benz had moved on from Kaman to Fender. Guess Fender have got the hi-fi end of bass amplification well covered with Genz Benz and SWR!

Ampeg is owned by LOUD Technologies, who bought their parent company St. Louis Music in 2005. Hartke is owned by Samson. Independents are thinning out, ones that spring to mind are MarkBass, Mesa/Boogie(although due to their size/popularity they're a grey area...no overseas manufacture anyway) and Bergantino. Basson are as well I think? Aguilar are independent too.

Edited by Dan_Nailed

[quote name='Earbrass' post='431694' date='Mar 11 2009, 05:20 PM']For a couple of years recently we had Fred Friedlein, the original founder of Trace Elliot, as a next door neighbour out in the wilds of Suffolk. Nice guy. He runs a small PA company now (www.soundranger.com), and occasionally plays guitar in an Everly Brothers tribute band.[/quote]

MB1. :)
Trace Elliot were originally called Soundwave
If you are looking to Buy British.... Ashdown ABM ....Laney....or buy an Old Trace! :rolleyes:

Edited by MB1

And I happen to know a chap who's about to put a Series 6 rig ( pre Gibson and all that tosh ) consisting of an AH250 and a 115 and 210 cab up for sale. Old viynlylyly ( never could spell vinyl )covered gear, no fluffy coveres here, all in perfect working order. Very good deal to be had if yer quick.
:)
Stewart