Why become a member? ×

What is it about wals?

greyparrot

[quote name='Russ' post='430071' date='Mar 10 2009, 02:08 AM']....I remember going to the Bass Centre back in the late '90s, and Wals were about the least fashionable bass in the world at the time - they used to have trouble shifting them....[/quote]
Around that time I was in the Bass Centre and a guy walked in trying to sell a Mk 1 Wal and Nick refused to buy it!! Times have changed.

[quote name='Russ' post='430071' date='Mar 10 2009, 02:08 AM']I remember going to the Bass Centre back in the late '90s, and Wals were about the least fashionable bass in the world at the time - they used to have trouble shifting them.[/quote]
Damn. Bet I could have picked one up for a song. :)

[quote name='doctor_of_the_bass' post='429592' date='Mar 9 2009, 05:57 PM']...he will possibly send me hate mail for saying this but everytime I look at bilbos avatar, I think `Dave Lee Travis'

..with carrots![/quote]

I always liked Dave Lee Travis and think his very public and courageous resignation from Radio One was one of the most high-profile criticisms of the threats of corporate media ever. DLT rocks (although any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is entirely coincidental)

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='430148' date='Mar 10 2009, 09:54 AM']I always liked Dave Lee Travis and think his very public and courageous resignation from Radio One was one of the most high-profile criticisms of the threats of corporate media ever. DLT rocks (although any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is entirely coincidental)[/quote]

Ah! Thank goodness, I can sleep safely tonight...! Loved the soundclip of your Wal incidentally.

Yeah, but as I said in my earlier post the majority of his signature fretless work in Japan was done on a Travis Bean TB2000 before he got the Wal and changing basses didn't make that much difference to his tone so in his case it's probably more down to the player than just the bass.

[quote]What is it about Wals?[/quote] - If you get a good one it's frickin' marvellous.

I tried a few at the Bass Centre in Wapping years ago and was not overly impressed at the time, but think that was down to set up frankly. Then my Pro1 was p/x'd to the drummer in the club band I was in at the time's shop and it came straight off the wall to a gig that night & never went back :)

It was a single pup passive at the time but sounded great. Ten years later Pete @ Wal retro fitted the Custom pups and electrics, which as I understood in talking to him at the time was always the intention with the passive Pro1's - ie sell it as the bottom of the range "starter" bass with the option to add actives at a later date if required.

Adding the actives bumped the available sounds up a huge amount (obviously) and tightened up the sound to make a good bass great.

It's got a lovely fast neck and a smaller headstock than the original spade, and I LOVE IT!!![url="http://planetsmilies.net"][/url]
[attachment=21864:AlansWal.jpg]

No idea what it's worth, though I know what it's insured for which is probably about enough to replace it if I could find another, but I'm in no great hurry to sell it.....EVER

And a couple of clips that would have been from when it was still a passive bass (though possibly with a second pup added, not sure the multitracks say 1986 :rolleyes: )
[attachment=21865:ATF___Sp...al___kit.mp3]
[attachment=21866:ATF___St...ass_clip.mp3]

[quote name='WalMan' post='431991' date='Mar 11 2009, 10:39 PM']- If you get a good one it's frickin' marvellous.

I tried a few at the Bass Centre in Wapping years ago and was not overly impressed at the time, but think that was down to set up frankly. Then my Pro1 was p/x'd to the drummer in the club band I was in at the time's shop and it came straight off the wall to a gig that night & never went back :)

It was a single pup passive at the time but sounded great. Ten years later Pete @ Wal retro fitted the Custom pups and electrics, which as I understood in talking to him at the time was always the intention with the passive Pro1's - ie sell it as the bottom of the range "starter" bass with the option to add actives at a later date if required.

Adding the actives bumped the available sounds up a huge amount (obviously) and tightened up the sound to make a good bass great.

It's got a lovely fast neck and a smaller headstock than the original spade, and I LOVE IT!!![url="http://planetsmilies.net"][/url]
[attachment=21864:AlansWal.jpg]

No idea what it's worth, though I know what it's insured for which is probably about enough to replace it if I could find another, but I'm in no great hurry to sell it.....EVER[/quote]

I had a quick play on this actual bass at last year's Northampton bash and it plays itself - fantastic bass!!!

I had a Wal for seven years and sold it as it was very heavy and a bad neck diver. I think I only used it for so long because I had always wanted one from first playing bass and Mick Karn was and is my favourite bassist. I tried lots of basses over a twenty plus years pro' career and steadfastly avoided such "common" basses as Fenders. Of course now I only own Fender Jazz basses and agree they sound great. I think the Wal was primarily designed as a studio bass and to this end versatility was all important. I found my Wal to be over complicated for live work. The sound wasn't to my taste and as for construction I remember the neck pocket wasn't very tight and it was the only bass I have owned that had a dead spot. Also I found the neck to be very wide and chunky in profile, altogether a very impractical design for a gigging bass. Leo Fender was a design genius who got it right with the Jazz and Precision designs and these designs remain to this day as the basic template of all other bass designs.

[quote name='griffonite' post='436193' date='Mar 16 2009, 03:23 PM']I had a Wal for seven years and sold it as it was very heavy and a bad neck diver. I think I only used it for so long because I had always wanted one from first playing bass and Mick Karn was and is my favourite bassist. I tried lots of basses over a twenty plus years pro' career and steadfastly avoided such "common" basses as Fenders. Of course now I only own Fender Jazz basses and agree they sound great. I think the Wal was primarily designed as a studio bass and to this end versatility was all important. I found my Wal to be over complicated for live work. The sound wasn't to my taste and as for construction I remember the neck pocket wasn't very tight and it was the only bass I have owned that had a dead spot. Also I found the neck to be very wide and chunky in profile, altogether a very impractical design for a gigging bass. Leo Fender was a design genius who got it right with the Jazz and Precision designs and these designs remain to this day as the basic template of all other bass designs.[/quote]
That is of course, unless you like Wals and then it's a very practical design for a gigging bass.. Having said that, I love the Jazz bass design and have two five string models which I gig with and they're great. :)

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='436524' date='Mar 16 2009, 03:30 PM']That is of course, unless you like Wals and then it's a very practical design for a gigging bass.. Having said that, I love the Jazz bass design and have two five string models which I gig with and they're great. :)[/quote]

I have a Wal ProIIe, a Jazz, a Rick 4000. They all have their place. Depends on the band and the music. I'd protect the Wal like a mother bear though.

dunc

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='436524' date='Mar 16 2009, 07:30 PM']That is of course, unless you like Wals and then it's a very practical design for a gigging bass.. Having said that, I love the Jazz bass design and have two five string models which I gig with and they're great. :rolleyes:[/quote]
Yes but liking a bass isn't reason enough to damage my shoulder and neck. Each to his own but playing any bass to the detriment of your physique is just foolish. Playing comfort is every bit as important to me as tone, hardware, action etc. But then again if you're not a ten stone weakling like me it shouldn't be a problem.
As for the issue of prices I think it's a mystery why some basses or any objects for that matter become more desirable and expensive than others. I recently bought a 1980 Aria S.B 1000 for £400 and it is every bit the equal of a Wal in quality and without doubt the best quality instrument I have owned yet they just don't command the kind of prices of many other makes. The Aria is even heavier than the Wal by the way so that's gone too :)

[quote name='griffonite' post='437614' date='Mar 17 2009, 05:49 PM']I recently bought a 1980 Aria S.B 1000 for £400 and it is every bit the equal of a Wal in quality[/quote]

:) :rolleyes:

Having owned both, I am astonished by that remark.... are you sure your Wals have been real ones? Also, mine is not and never has been a 'neck diver' and I am again intrigued at the experiences being discussed. Maybe mine is the forgery :D

I also don't find it excessively heavy - but then again, it has been around my neck for 23 years so I guess I am used to it now.

I've owned a fair few Wals over the years and, while none have been crazily heavy, a few have been pretty meaty beasts, and I've certainly played a few that were very heavy (i.e. 14lbs).

My current Mk III is 10lbs and sits perfectly on my shoulder, although it's still not as light as many of the boutique basses out there these days.

Ive never played a Wal with a neck dive problem ever,yes they are heavy,but Ive played heavier Jazz's and Stingers and P's.

I wanted one 10-12 years ago...when they used to be found for £850-1200 depending on condition and model.

Still would.

I have to say I don't particularly find my Wal heavy, and certainly don't put my replacement shoulder down to playing it for 23 years. :)

From all the other comments from Wal lovers it may be horses for courses, but as I said earlier, find the one for you and you'll never want to let it go, will guard it come hell & high water and love it forever

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='438074' date='Mar 18 2009, 10:08 AM']:) :rolleyes:

Having owned both, I am astonished by that remark.... are you sure your Wals have been real ones? Also, mine is not and never has been a 'neck diver' and I am again intrigued at the experiences being discussed. Maybe mine is the forgery :D

I also don't find it excessively heavy - but then again, it has been around my neck for 23 years so I guess I am used to it now.[/quote]
A Wal round your neck for 23 years? Maybe that explains your facial expression on your profile. ;) Mind you it's hard to tell but you look like a fairly well built bloke compared to me!

I been playing Wals as my main basses since 1991. I have two Mark IIs 5s (fretless and fretted) which are on the heavy side and have just a little neck dive...but not overly so or uncomfortably so. Not any more than the Jazz basses I own. I also have two Mark III 5s and they balance perfectly and are lighter...the most comfortable basses I've played other than a custom 4 I had made that was actually carved to fit my body.

Sound-wise they have never gotten anything but great praise....live or in the studio. The B-strings are wonderful. Overall their sounds are fantastic. They cut through the band, they have wide and great bottom, full through-out the ranges and I haven't found another bass yet that I can get as much sound from without any equing. I use them in many styles of music from jazz to ethereal, to progressive-rock to singer/songwriter, etc.

The construction-values on my 4 are all great. Just really solid instruments. I have heard some complain, but this mostly was from the era when Pete was having health problems and production was backing-up. Pricing for my Wals ran as low as $2500 to a high of about $4200. The one I ordered new right from Pete was in 1992 and cost $3400. The most expensive ones are the used Mark IIIs I have and purchased in the last few years from a couple of fine gentlemen in the UK. Taxes/duties and shipping add quite a bit!

As far as the neck shape, I like it so much that when Joe Zon made me a bass, I had him make the neck to be very close to the size and shape of my Wals!

Of course, somewhat, this is beauty in the eye of the owner, but there are enough performances and recordings out there to substantiate Wal Basses' true value as great instruments.

Edited by AndroWal

[quote name='AndroWal' post='440746' date='Mar 20 2009, 11:21 PM']Of course, somewhat, this is beauty in the eye of the owner, but there are enough performances and recordings out there to substantiate Wal Basses true value as great instruments.[/quote]

+1

It's true there wasn't much attention paid to ergonomics at Wal: the neck was huge and thick like a bowling bat and Pete would tell you they made them like that to force you to get your hand into the proper playing position. I always thought that sounded like total bvllshvt. The basses [i]did [/i]weigh a ton and the strings were miles above the body due to the shallow fitting neck pocket. But you could ask them to tailor it a bit to your requirements - they were happy to do so - and they were always well made with lovely woods. They looked great. But of course the main thing was the sound; the pickups together with the tone controls sounded so much better (fruity and hi-fi) than all the other basses to me... and still do. I was recently at a 'Bass Bash' and by Crikey, my Wal wiped the floor with the other 40 or so golden- bvllvcked, pink ivory basses that were there.... but then again I type this after 2 pints of wine and early spring sunstroke.