Why become a member? ×

Do you own the most expensive bass on Basschat

steve-soar

[quote name='ARGH' post='428185' date='Mar 7 2009, 07:43 PM']Bourgeois scum...worshipping currancy,buying revolution![/quote]

:)

Seriously, it's about art, not just function. Personally I value art very highly, in spiritual terms if nothing else.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='428129' date='Mar 7 2009, 05:42 PM']I thought it fit the rant quite well, that's why I used it. Most of my friends work in theatre, if I was scared of gays I'd have nobody to talk to.

To me the prices are insane. I can understand people spending five figures on an acoustic instrument (although I don't play upright myself), but when you can get a perfectly servicable bass guitar for a few hundred quid that will play and sound great, I don't see the point in paying much more. Two or three grand for something really special, maybe, if you've just fallen in love with the thing, but ten grand? They're having a laugh.[/quote]

Yeah but what maked you think it would. You could have just said it looked crap or terrible. I just don't understand because you don't hear people saying something looks "n******" or "Paki" or "Spazz" so why the hell do you call it Gay? I just really don't get it. Also what makes you think that everyone who works in theatre is gay? I know several people who do drama and are far from homosexual. I'm not gay myself by the way i am just sick to death of hearing every stupid chav in my school who calls me gay because they seem to think it's the worst thing you could ever call someone.

They're clearly not having a laugh because people buy them. At the end of the day things are worth what people will pay for them so it can't be that stupid can it? I could see why you might think it was a bit stupid that someone would pay £10 grand on 1/2 a kilo of heroin or a model would pay to have their toes cut off when they could have just got a medical student to do it for free but a bass, it's hardly the worst thing you could spend £10,000 on.

[quote name='Golchen' post='428167' date='Mar 7 2009, 07:12 PM']Ho hum, here we go again .............. a perfectly interesting and informative thread and some people choose to drag it down into the gutter.

I thought that this was an intriguing question so I posted it at another forum that I go to, three pages so far and no negativity whatsoever.[/quote]

What's really funny is that i used to think exactly the same thing coming onto here from UG back in '07!

Edited by EdwardHimself

[quote name='4000' post='428206' date='Mar 7 2009, 08:10 PM']:)

Seriously, it's about art, not just function. Personally I value art very highly, in spiritual terms if nothing else.[/quote]

Couldn't agree more but head firmly beneath parapet on this one!

I have a real problem when people reel off a list of how expensive their gear is if I've just met them for the first time, whatever makes that person think I wanted to know the price of their gear in the first place is beyond me because I couldn't care less. I find the whole subject fairly embarrassing to discuss actually, it makes me feel uncomfortable. Likewise, I find it intolerable when people at gigs ask me how much my gear is, I secretly want to tell them to cram it! :)

[quote name='small_lump_of_green_putty' post='428052' date='Mar 7 2009, 03:42 PM']Well if you make a living out of selling cheap basses, that's not very surprising. You wouldn't win, would you?[/quote]

Cheap ? Inexpensive dear sir there is a big difference.... :)
And I don't "make a living" from it, I'm teaching myself how to make basses.
Anyone can sell things , making things is rather more difficult.
I am a bass philanthropist spreading the goodness.

[quote name='bassace' post='428233' date='Mar 7 2009, 09:12 PM']10k - but how well do you play? On another subject (sorry) I've just watched the repeat of this week's Grand Designs. The bloke paid £40k for the staircase, all because his wife's an arty moo. One born.............[/quote]

Yeh, but I can actually see the value of those stairs, the whole veneer was absolutely amazing.

I think generally you pay for quality, personally I think a lot of boutique style models are overpriced but it's your money, and in most cases you get what you pay for.

Veering wildly off topic but the £40k helical flight of wooden stairs in question were crafted by a boat-builder who took four months and a lot of ingenuity to make them - I thought they were really rather beautiful and frankly, if I had that sort of money to throw around, I would have liked them too. Crying shame the house-owner then slapped a coat of white paint over the wood, making it look like it could have been made of MDF!

Here we go again. Whats up? Is it a case of "I can only afford a cheap bass so anyone with an expensive bass is a c***"? I dont have to apologise to anyone for my GB's - I can afford them and thats all there is to it. They look, play and sound fabulous. Better than a Squire VMJ? Yes in my opinion. YMMV

its me, I admit it. It was wild and spending beyond my means but it was a once in a lifetime opportunity.
A group of highly trained fender employees were sent out to rainforests around the world to find the best (ethically sources) timber. They then seasoned it in a river for several decades (or something) quarter sawn they made a lovely bass, covered it with the finest nitro-laquer applied by piccaso himself before he died. (he went for sunburst) James Jamerson was kicking about and wrote the date on the end of the neck. (its also my birthday almost anyway) the hardware is silver plated, and the pick up wire is made of gold as it sounds so so much better. The pickguard was made by the team at NASA when they were sitting around not makeing anything while the shuttle was out of action, the shielding can withstand re-entry! The screws used are all dimond encrusted so they don't strip ever. They then had a seance and Leo Fender himself came and put the logo on the headstock and signed it too. After that it was blessed by Entwhistle and the Dali Lama before I got it.

Now I need to find a band to play in to use it. But given the venues around here I may just use the Squier.

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='428303' date='Mar 7 2009, 11:28 PM']Here we go again. Whats up? Is it a case of "I can only afford a cheap bass so anyone with an expensive bass is a c***"? I dont have to apologise to anyone for my GB's - I can afford them and thats all there is to it. They look, play and sound fabulous. Better than a Squire VMJ? Yes in my opinion. YMMV[/quote]

Don't get me wrong, if I wasn't a 19 year old student with other things to pay for I'd get a nice friggin' F-Bass. I wouldn't assume jealousy is the bone of contention here, rather that some people care less about how much a bass costs and more about how good it sounds and how well the player plays.

[quote name='Dr.Dave' post='427902' date='Mar 7 2009, 11:09 AM']Message - don't starve , sell your body parts or go without a life to buy a bass you probably don't need in order to make your musical ambitions a reality. Save the expensive bass for your mid life crisis rather than wrap yourself round a lamp post on a Harley.

I'd take a Squier played well over a clown with a Shuker any day.[/quote]

Wise words sir.
When I was 15 I got a Westone Thunder because that was what I could afford. (and bought it back off ebay after 19 years a few months ago)
Now that I am having my mid-life crisis [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=30097&hl="]I'm having one built[/url] because I can afford that (well sort of).
Ironically though I still play like a clown!

Edited by elom

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='428303' date='Mar 7 2009, 11:28 PM']Here we go again. Whats up? Is it a case of "I can only afford a cheap bass so anyone with an expensive bass is a c***"? I dont have to apologise to anyone for my GB's - I can afford them and thats all there is to it. They look, play and sound fabulous. Better than a Squire VMJ? Yes in my opinion. YMMV[/quote]

+1, we don't need to justify what basses we have on here (save that for our WAGs :) )

Hallo!

I just love the way these threads run - in answer to the OP, then who knows? In terms of collections its probably Cetera as many of my fifty or so basses are cheapos such as some of my Arias and Washburns etc - these were purchased purely down to a nostalgia for all those basses that I wanted back in the 80s...

However I do own a very old '74 Alembic LS-1 which I think may once have belonged to a very very famous player, in fact a legend - its value however is only measurable by the price someone would pay for it, as a bass its probably worth two or three grand but to a true collector, it might be worth a lot more. The ex Mark King Jaydee Classic that I owned cost £6k - again its value being driven by its association and at that point in my life, I had the money to buy it. If someone has a passion and can afford to spend money on that aspect of their life then great - even if you are starting out on the instrument, go for it - if in 6 months time you don't get on with it, sell it to me!!

Thing is,Ive bought cheap basses in the old days,an they work and sound ok in the bedroom on a 15w amp,but they fall apart,or bits break off,or at loud volumes they just sound dire...

Saying that I know of a million tales of boutique instruments crapping out onstage.....Alembics (Jason Newstead) Gretsch (Billy Duffy)..Status (me)...Warwick (me again..and Entwistle).

Cheap sh*tty pre-amps and bad pots,2 bnd eq's,bad soldering......

Thank the lord for the instrument,but curse the worker that plays,thats Gods plan...5 mins before stage...or 2mins in to the 1st set....

Edited by ARGH

[quote name='Delberthot' post='427989' date='Mar 7 2009, 01:23 PM']What does a guy with a 2 foot cock have for breakfast?

this morning I had a boiled egg

Boom Boom. I thank you[/quote]

I'll raise you................

Last night I met a girl reading a book on a train - 'Good book, this ' she said ' says American Indian guys have the thickest cocks and Japanese blokes have the longest - anyway what's your name?'

'Tonto Nagasaki' said I.

[quote name='small_lump_of_green_putty' post='428052' date='Mar 7 2009, 03:42 PM']Well if you make a living out of selling cheap basses, that's not very surprising. You wouldn't win, would you?[/quote]

TUT, TUT, TUT!
The man you attacked has a massive amount of ability both in manufacture and design of his basses.
The basses you have seen are probably prototypes and are being sold off near to the price of the build, let alone the time and effort he puts into them.
Prosebass is a pefectionist who's looking for a balance between quality and price.
I know, I own one of his basses and have met the guy. ( Have you? )
I find myself in a position to say that I COULD NOT replace the guitar I have because it IS UNIQUE.
And it has a UNIQUE sound!

PUT A VALUE ON THAT!
:)

[quote name='pricechris10' post='428541' date='Mar 8 2009, 12:53 PM']TUT, TUT, TUT!
The man you attacked has a massive amount of ability both in manufacture and design of his basses.
The basses you have seen are probably prototypes and are being sold off near to the price of the build, let alone the time and effort he puts into them.
Prosebass is a pefectionist who's looking for a balance between quality and price.
I know, I own one of his basses and have met the guy. ( Have you? )
I find myself in a position to say that I COULD NOT replace the guitar I have because it IS UNIQUE.
And it has a UNIQUE sound!

PUT A VALUE ON THAT!
:)[/quote]

I'll second that