Why become a member? ×

NBD: RedSub Coliseum Fanned-fret / Multiscale 6-string

therealting

14 hours ago, Happy Jack said:

This is NOT what the word "crack" was developed for. The word you need here is "crevice", or possibly "canyon".

Alternatively you could cut to the chase and just say FUBAR.

If you look closely,  you can just see the Colorado River running out of it....

I`ve just come across this thread for the first time and as I`m an owner of the 5 string variant and have had zero issues with mine, no painted neck, bridges in line, nut isn`t brilliant  but I can live with it, the only thing with mine is it was advertised as blue and is green. The neck on my 5er is a joy to play, not too wide but lovely and shallow, if I had a gripe it would probably be the pups and pre amp but it was only £290 .....a steal!

On 22/08/2020 at 15:25, therealting said:

Well that’s why I was saying it needs a bigger discount - but I know there are a few people on the forum who know how to do headstock repairs, and if they managed to beat them down to £100 then might be worth the experiment. 

Got a knock back this morning from G4M to my £160  offer.

• 2 months later...

Looking more seriously into these now. I would like to try a 6 string again but don't want to waste too much money on it if it isn't for me. So people who had them, do you still think they are any good, are they worth £350 (the deals on eBay don't really seem worth it now)?

@Woodinblack I would be willing to part with mine for what I paid for it if you wanted to spend around half that just to try it out. Apart from lowering the action and improving the balance with additional strap buttons, it’s pretty much as I got it and therefore as described in my original post.

I agree by the way, a lot of the ones on eBay seem to have pretty serious issues (I’ve seen a couple split headstocks).

• Like 1

On 21/08/2020 at 22:12, therealting said:

There’s a five string on eBay with fairly big headstock cracks in it... probably needs a bigger discount than it currently has, but may of interest to someone who knows how to do these repairs.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/353170698395 

That headstock is practically in bits. I would be dubious as to whether or not that could be repaired and I'm sure if it could, the price or effort involved would be well beyond what the bass is worth. I'm surprised the vendor hasn't just written that one off. 

Still happy with mine. Wouldn't sell it for what I paid for it, which is less than the eBay 2nds.

Looks like a fantastic instrument spec wise they thought they could get from a manufacturer for a specific price point, that the manufacturer wasn't able to deliver consistently. 

31 minutes ago, therealting said:

@Machines I think the main issue is that roasted maple is quite a bit more brittle than normal maple, and they’re just not packed well enough from the factory... so it’s a bit of pot luck whether it arrives intact or not, since it doesn’t take much to split roasted maple. 

I'm pretty sure it isnt roasted maple on the recent batch but normal maple with a fake tint.

22 hours ago, Chris2112 said:

That headstock is practically in bits. I would be dubious as to whether or not that could be repaired and I'm sure if it could, the price or effort involved would be well beyond what the bass is worth. I'm surprised the vendor hasn't just written that one off. 

I can't actually believe they have a 3 figure price tag on that, it will cost more to repair that than to buy!  I mean it really puts into question the quality of the wood used, its split at every drill point!

2 hours ago, Machines said:

The website lists it as 18mm.

Hmm.. wondering how they are working that out. Obviously the spacing between strings on a fan fretted bass is going to be less than the distance between the saddle centres. On my ibanez fan fret, the string spacing is 17.5mm, but the sadle centre spacing is 21mm.  I guess they must be going for the first way

13 minutes ago, Machines said:

String spacing should be measure saddle centre to saddle centre, as string gauges are variable. There should be no difference on a fanned fret to a normal bass.

That would make no sense, so If I asked for a fan fret with a saddle spacing of my favourite string spacing of 16.5mm, I would actually have a physical string spacing of 13.75mm. That would be a bit tight (although still prefereable to 21mm on the ibanez).

Not sure what you mean about string guages, that has no relevance to string spacing, the sadles are in the same place whether you put strings on or not.

Just in case we are talking at cross purposes, this is the Ibanez. I would call this 17.5mm spacing (as do ibanez), its 21mm between saddles

IMG_0512.thumb.jpg.d48e1d39d77e3fc80ef87716ab5f0d14.jpg

Edited by Woodinblack