Why become a member? ×

NBD: RedSub Coliseum Fanned-fret / Multiscale 6-string

therealting

1 hour ago, Woodinblack said:

Yes, so that is what I would call the spacing too. Which is a shame as 18 is just a bit too much, especially on a 6 :/

Well, I might measure it myself and let you know when I can be bothered to get off the sofa.

My Yamaha RBXJM2 is 16.5mm and doesn't feel noticeably different.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Kev said:

Always feel I'm a bass geek by being obsessed with tonewoods and peculiars of different pickups and preamps etc. Always relieved I'm not as bad as I think when I follow convos like this. :D

I don't care about the tonewoods or the pickups, but I really do care if the strings are the right distance from each other!

On 22/08/2020 at 15:25, therealting said:

Well that’s why I was saying it needs a bigger discount - but I know there are a few people on the forum who know how to do headstock repairs, and if they managed to beat them down to £100 then might be worth the experiment. 

I would take a punt at £100.

45 minutes ago, Kev said:

Always feel I'm a bass geek by being obsessed with tonewoods and peculiars of different pickups and preamps etc. Always relieved I'm not as bad as I think when I follow convos like this. :D

If you are obsessed with Tonewoods you should read about the Leonado Guitar Research Project. https://sites.google.com/site/leonardoguitarresearch/LGRP-in-American-Lutherie

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chienmortbb said:

If you are obsessed with Tonewoods you should read about the Leonado Guitar Research Project. https://sites.google.com/site/leonardoguitarresearch/LGRP-in-American-Lutherie

Skim-read, when I say tonewood I mean at a much more simple level (perhaps not the right term), I wouldn’t dispute a locally sourced wood with similar properties wouldn’t sound the same as tropical, but if anyone tries to say a maple neck sounds like wenge... 😉

Edited by Kev

1 hour ago, Woodinblack said:

I don't care about the tonewoods or the pickups, but I really do care if the strings are the right distance from each other!

I know, but we’re quibbling over 0.5mm in the last couple of posts 😉 

I've got one of these sixers, I bought it as an Ebay second a couple months ago just to see if I liked fan frets and six strings. It appears I'm not a fan of either, so will happily move it on here for £200 its original price plus postage. PM me if interested. 

( and yes my BC sellers subscription is currently paid up ;))

1 hour ago, Kev said:

I know, but we’re quibbling over 0.5mm in the last couple of posts 😉 

You are, I'm not bothered if it is 16.5 or 17, just as long as it's under 18 as that is when it falls apart.

more accurately for the people who pile in at times like this and say "I don't know what your problem is, I don't mind a foot between strings", obviously I can play whatever but what is very clear on my basses is that when something has a spacing of 18 or over, it will end up not being overlooked for others when I go to pick something up, and thus eventually sold.

but obviously, maple or wenge, all sounds the same to me!

Edited by Woodinblack

3 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

You are, I'm not bothered if it is 16.5 or 17, just as long as it's under 18 as that is when it falls apart.

more accurately for the people who pile in at times like this and say "I don't know what your problem is, I don't mind a foot between strings", obviously I can play whatever but what is very clear on my basses is that when something has a spacing of 18 or over, it will end up not being overlooked for others when I go to pick something up, and thus eventually sold.

but obviously, maple or wenge, all sounds the same to me!

I am?? I’m really not! 😂

It was intended as a funny comment that has since been over-analysed, my apologies, happy Monday!

Edited by Kev

Just now, Kev said:

I am?? I’m really not! 😂

It was intended as a funny comment that has since been analysed, apologies, happy Monday!

Then we are both not bothered. I thank you for measuring it as now it is pretty tempting, even if it is a 6 which I know I struggle with and I am not supposed to be adding before I remove.!

2 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Then we are both not bothered. I thank you for measuring it as now it is pretty tempting, even if it is a 6 which I know I struggle with and I am not supposed to be adding before I remove.!

you’re really not talking to the guy who measured his bridge, I’m literally not in that convo, I was just saying I’m glad it’s not me that thinks about small stuff! 

On 08/11/2020 at 12:05, Chris2112 said:

That headstock is practically in bits. I would be dubious as to whether or not that could be repaired and I'm sure if it could, the price or effort involved would be well beyond what the bass is worth.

Maybe if you wanted to make a headless one it would be a start!