Why become a member? ×

Calling P - bass owners...

carlsim

Hi all....

My first proper bass when I was 17 was a fender MIM 57 reissue p bass (had various cheap alternatives before that) and I always remember it... I love the 70s p-bass look and to hark back to a simpler time I have picked up a US made highway one in sunburst. 

Anyway... I want to improve it and am after suggestions! Being as sunburst with a rosewood board, it has a cream guard but I'm going to change it for a 3 ply black one...

Bridge - do I go standard American or leave the badass II on there?

Pups? With a black guard on burst - cream pups? I like the idea but anyone else got that combo? Or do I stay with black?

Any recommendations for pups? It has the bass lines pups in there and I have really tried it yet, not even sure what kind of sound I want! Just a p-bass sound I guess!

I am capable with electronics... Do I worry about pots etc? Anyone made significant improvements on a highway 1 wiring wise?

Just wanted to know opinions really? The body is nicely scarred and has a nice patina already... I would like the neck to look a bit more vintage as well - it's a bit too fresh! Any thoughts? 

Anyway... Pictures are welcome.... Especially the burst - black guard - cream pup combo of anyone has one!! 

Opinions are welcome!

ATB

Carl

Keep the Badass...

If the pickups are SD Baselines, I'd leave those in there, too.

Am I right in thinking it's got a grease bucket tone pot? I'd leave that, too.

So... Er... Wot Geek99 said!

Maybe change the pickguard, though.

Edited by Lfalex v1.1

If it isn't broken, don't change it. If you don't know the sound you want, there's little benefit in changing the pickups etc. You'll often end up chasing your tail. I've changed pickups in the past only to go back to the original, and know many who have done the same.

The aesthetic is up to you, if you like cream pickup covers with a black pickguard, go for it.

• Like 1

The black guard will change the look nicely, sunburst/black/maple very under-rated imo. Re pickups, well I’ve never been a fan of SD QPs so I’d change those if that’s what they turn out to be. My personal faves are Fender Custom Shop 62s but I’m a bit intrigued by the EMG Geezers, apparently voiced to a similar period, but not so low-mid focused.

21 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

The black guard will change the look nicely, sunburst/black/maple very under-rated imo. Re pickups, well I’ve never been a fan of SD QPs so I’d change those if that’s what they turn out to be. My personal faves are Fender Custom Shop 62s but I’m a bit intrigued by the EMG Geezers, apparently voiced to a similar period, but not so low-mid focused.

Not all Basslines/SD P pick ups are QP’s which is the point we both make but we all have our preferences even within a manufacturer

Edited by Cuzzie

I’m a tort guy myself...

The previous owner of my 64 P had inexplicably put Quarter Pounders in it (?), which I didn’t like at all. Having said that, the Seymour Duncan NYC pickups in my new Sadowsky sound fantastic. It also has a Badass-style Omega in it, which I must confess I don’t like the look of. 

5 minutes ago, hooky_lowdown said:

I don't rate SD pickups at all. 😒

If you have played them all and don’t like ‘em fair enough, but that’s why I said we all have preferences even within manufacturers - I am very specific within a range on what I like - there is never going to be a blanket one size

3 minutes ago, Cuzzie said:

If you have played them all and don’t like ‘em fair enough, but that’s why I said we all have preferences even within manufacturers - I am very specific within a range on what I like - there is never going to be a blanket one size

Spb1, Spb2, Spb3 and Steve Harris. Not every model, but enough to have a consensus that I don't rate them.

1 minute ago, hooky_lowdown said:

Spb1, Spb2, Spb3 and Steve Harris. Not every model, but enough to have a consensus that I don't rate them.

As said that’s fine but antiquities, custom shop and AP range are a different kettle of fish compared to them

Re pickup covers: check the "ears"! I bought some white ones from ebay and didn't realise until I got them that the semicurcular protrusions where the screws go stuck out way too far to fit in the scratchplate. Then I found another set that were fine. I love cream/white pickups on a p bass just because they're a bit more unusual but still kind of classic looking.

I also found that a standard sized set of covers was too small for a Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounder (I'm not just talking about the pole pieces - the whole thing was a bit too small, but it might not be the case for other models.

Re colour combinations, you can always use this to visualise things:

https://www.yajimastringworks.com/kisekae/CNV_PB/Kis90105_w1300.asp

1 hour ago, Lozz196 said:

EMG GZR is a great pickup - solderless too!

They only come in black though and you can't change the covers

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Rexel Matador said:

EMG GZR is a great pickup - solderless too!

They only come in black though and you can't change the covers

That's what put me off, call me old fashioned but I don't like writing on my pup covers.  Changing them isn't an issue unless, like the GZR's, the pups covers are none removable.  Ive just swapped out a set of SPB1's from my MIM 50's and have gone with my usual pups - Pribora Handwound.  All my P basses have these in, they are a lovely trad style pup

1 hour ago, Cuzzie said:

As said that’s fine but antiquities, custom shop and AP range are a different kettle of fish compared to them

I've not heard if custom shop SD's - what are these? The antiquities range I read many negative reviews, and the AP range are active, so apples and oranges.

58 minutes ago, Pow_22 said:

That's what put me off, call me old fashioned but I don't like writing on my pup covers.  Changing them isn't an issue unless, like the GZR's, the pups covers are none removable.  Ive just swapped out a set of SPB1's from my MIM 50's and have gone with my usual pups - Pribora Handwound.  All my P basses have these in, they are a lovely trad style pup

I took the writing off with nail polish remover! It doesn't bother me so much these days but it did at the time.

As an aside - while looking into a guitar build for a friend, I discovered that the EMG81 has a choice of 10 different covers! Guitarists don't know they're born.

Edited by Rexel Matador
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, hooky_lowdown said:

I've not heard if custom shop SD's - what are these? The antiquities range I read many negative reviews, and the AP range are active, so apples and oranges.

It’s not apples and oranges - why can’t an active - pick up be compared to the passive pick up?

Passives can also be fed into an active pre-amp, and actives could also in theory also be fed into an active pre-amp.

Within the AP you have differences between the old and the new ones which are subtle - again may not be your flavour full stop, but they are different from the other range. APB-1, AJJ-1 and APJ-1. I am happy to compare them to my Creamery 58 Pick up.

Custom shop you are looking at the 51 P stack as an example