Why become a member? ×

Best Stringray type copies

la bam

I think the modification referred to above is only applicable to the earliest versions of the SBMM Sub to overcome too hotter signal. 

If I had one of the more recent ones I might think of upgrading the tuners to Hipshots as per the US Sub Stingray model - more sturdy and less chance of begging bent if whacked. 

The sound in that video (and others by that You Tuber suggests the sound is pretty good from the SBMM Sub. 

I’d agree with the above. The Sterling Stingray or the actual US Stingray can’t really be beaten. The ATK I owned definitely didn’t have the stingray clank and neither does my Fender Dimension, which in theory should do but doesn’t, possibly due to the 2 pickup version having very different pickup placement to a Stingray H or HH. I’ve not heard any other basses that get very close (eg Lakland have an MM at the bridge but the two I owned and several I played sounded nothing like a Stingray).

• Like 1

9 hours ago, songofthewind said:

^^^^ Correct. Mine is a later Indonesian one, but has hot output.

Mine is too and the output was scary hot, I did the mod but not sure I used that one shown.  It plays much better now. 

Edited to add picture of mod, its a 10K resistor +-5% soldered between the earth connection and the 'cold' wire from the pickup where it connects to the volume pot.  Thanks to Hobbayne for the pic, he got his one modded for him a coupla years back and I just copied from his pics.

AAimage.jpg

Edited by Oopsdabassist
pic and explanation added
  • Like 1

This is a nice bass sound on an SBMM Sub - and some great playing - this girl can groove! 

http://youtu.be/C-vLEFm8tNg

When I eventually decided on a Stingray 5 for my 5 string about 20 yrs back, I did have a dalliance with an FNA Jazzman - nice bass but still didn't do the Stingray sound in my view. 

If you want the flexibility of a two pick up bass with the Stongray sound, either an SBMM or Stingray HH will give you that. 

My MM Sabre Classic does Stingray, Sabre and Lakland sounds very well (it has a bridge H + neck single coil setting). It does a good Precision impression with the neck single coil soloed also. 

Edited by drTStingray
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, drTStingray said:

This is a nice bass sound on an SBMM Sub - and some great playing - this girl can groove! 

http://youtu.be/C-vLEFm8tNg

When I eventually decided on a Stingray 5 for my 5 string about 20 yrs back, I did have a dalliance with an FNA Jazzman - nice bass but still didn't do the Stingray sound in my view. 

If you want the flexibility of a two pick up bass with the Stongray sound, either an SBMM or Stingray HH will give you that. 

My MM Sabre Classic does Stingray, Sabre and Lakland sounds very well (it has a bridge H + neck single coil setting). It does a good Precision impression with the neck single coil soloed also. 

That wee lassie is a hella player, and does indeed get a good sound out of that cheapie.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Oopsdabassist said:

Mine is too and the output was scary hot, I did the mod but not sure I used that one shown.  It plays much better now. 

Edited to add picture of mod, its a 10K resistor +-5% soldered between the earth connection and the 'cold' wire from the pickup where it connects to the volume pot.  Thanks to Hobbayne for the pic, he got his one modded for him a coupla years back and I just copied from his pics.

AAimage.jpg

Thanks for that, that looks more within my capabilities. I’m electrically challenged, so can you clarify what 10k resistor PLUS 5% means? Ta.

9 hours ago, songofthewind said:

That wee lassie is a hella player, and does indeed get a good sound out of that cheapie.

Definitely - lovely on this as well with a bit of thumb muted playing at the end. I really like some of these modern pop songs. 

http://youtu.be/XdBR-SrP6uU

And for @Lozz196 AWB doing a very funky number - Alan Gorrie on 2 band Stingray. Notice the drumming - Steve Ferrone is one of the world's best IMO. Hmmm Acoustic 370 and Stingray - I wonder where I got the idea for that set up from!! 

https://youtu.be/QoAtqfQoaUo

Edited by drTStingray

16 hours ago, songofthewind said:

Thanks for that, that looks more within my capabilities. I’m electrically challenged, so can you clarify what 10k resistor PLUS 5% means? Ta.

The coloured bands on resistors are a code giving you their rating, that one is 10,000 ohm resistance, with a tolerance of plus or minus 5%.  If you are serious about having a go yourself, when I did mine I ended up buying a pack of 10 or so, I can have a root around and see if I can find the rest and bung one in the post.

Edited by Oopsdabassist
spelling doh!
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, Oopsdabassist said:

The coloured bands on resistors are a code giving you their rating, that one is 10,000 ohm resistance, with a tolerance of plus or minus 5%.  If you are serious about having a go yourself, when I did mine I ended up buying a pack of 10 or so, I can have a root around and see if I can find the rest and bung one in the post.

Ah, you are totally a gent. What a kind offer. That would be lovely.

I remember snipping resistors etc from old circuit boards a few years ago, when I deluded myself into thinking I would learn elecktrickery. A delusion that soon faded. Maybe I will find them in a drawer.

12 hours ago, drTStingray said:

Definitely - lovely on this as well with a bit of thumb muted playing at the end. I really like some of these modern pop songs. 

http://youtu.be/XdBR-SrP6uU

And for @Lozz196 AWB doing a very funky number - Alan Gorrie on 2 band Stingray. Notice the drumming - Steve Ferrone is one of the world's best IMO. Hmmm Acoustic 370 and Stingray - I wonder where I got the idea for that set up from!! 

https://youtu.be/QoAtqfQoaUo

That's a great find, and from the same concert this is brilliant. What a great band they were in their heyday, up there with the very best.