Why become a member? ×

Fuzz pedal with envelope filter - suggestions please

Sharkfinger

What I want is a fuzz like a big muff (which I have) but with the ability to dial in some kind of filter so it sounds almost synthy. 
I’ve tried separate envelope/auto wah and they sound great with the fuzz but really not fussed with them on their own. I want the filter to end with the fuzz, not turn off an extra pedal. plus it’s more board real estate.

what fuzzes have this built in, is the Tech 21 red ripper my only option?

i sometimes use an octave with fuzz and that works too but I also use it on its own, so don’t mind it being separate.

You could well do far worse than the Red Ripper which I can happily vouch for, if that's what you get lumbered with. 

The Prunes'n'Custard has a devoted following (not had one myself) - supposedly less versatile than the Ripper but nails what it does even better from comments I've heard. 

@lee650knows his way around this area as well as most methinks. 

• Thanks 1

A Combined filter with fuzz would be a great idea! Tom from Cog could help you with that. As far as fuzz which sound synthy as in slightly filtered,the Red Ripper is a perfect choice, the prunes n custard is a similar sound as both are dynamic with envelope qualities but the P&C Is a lot more organic sounding. One of my faves was the 3 leaf Doom, which can be configured to sound like a muff (Which isn't a synthy fuzz! I've always had both types) but also is a dynamic moog like fuzz, with hints of octave up and ring mod. Other rarer fuzzes are the Co pilot orbit which is a gated fuzz and ring modulator in one pedal! I've never tried one s they are rare and the Subdecay Flying Tomato (again I haven't tried one)

A great available option is the Emma Octo Nojs which is a synthy dynamic fuzz (similar to Red Ripper/Doom) but with an added octave in one pedal.

I've a big love for the Mooer sweeper which is cheap and tiny and is a clone of the bassballs which is a twin filter with added fuzz! Sounds wicked with an octave pedal 😁

Edited by lee650
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’d give the Prunes & Custard a go, as it can get quite synthy, as can the ZVex Woolly Mammoth - there are plenty of clones around for less than £50, so shouldn’t be too much of an investment. The Mammoth is a great little fuzz, but doesn’t play well with active basses, so that might be a consideration for you.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, paul_5 said:

I’d give the Prunes & Custard a go, as it can get quite synthy, as can the ZVex Woolly Mammoth - there are plenty of clones around for less than £50, so shouldn’t be too much of an investment. The Mammoth is a great little fuzz, but doesn’t play well with active basses, so that might be a consideration for you.

The Mastatron is very synthy and sounds like the mammoth! But has an Impedance control,so it does work with actives, or with other pedals placed before it. The Mastatron/Mammoth arnt quite as dynamic (like a filter)as the others,but can be touch sensitive. Both great choices 😁

33 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

FWIW, I had the Mastotron and loved it. Great pedal. But it didn't survive the arrival of the Red Ripper on my board. 

I too sold a Mastatron in favour of the Red Ripper,despite the size difference. It's a more versatile pedal😁

• Thanks 1

Looks like it's the Red Ripper over the Mastatron.  Heard a few demos of the Prunes & Custard but feel it goes too far into envelop filter territory; too much tweakability. 

I just want one knob/switch that effects that, so looks like it's the RR over the P&C as well.

12 hours ago, paul_5 said:

Yeah, had a clone of that for a while.  Shouldn't have gotten rid of it, got next to nothing for it....

48 minutes ago, GisserD said:

Does the red ripper have an envelope filter in it??

Not quite. It has the R.I.P dial which emulates an envelope filter, but isn't a filter as such. Tech 21 claim this results in better low end retention, which obviously can be a bane of drive / fuzz pedals. 

Edited by Al Krow

Source Audio Manta /Spectrum / C4

EHX Enigma

Stone Deaf PDF-2 (although needs an expression pedal, no envelope)

Red Ripper and Prunes & Custard sound very similar, but if you're checking those out you should also look into the TWA Dynamorph.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 13/03/2020 at 00:22, lee650 said:

One of my faves was the 3 leaf Doom, which can be configured to sound like a muff (Which isn't a synthy fuzz! I've always had both types) but also is a dynamic moog like fuzz, with hints of octave up and ring mod. 

A great available option is the Emma Octo Nojs which is a synthy dynamic fuzz (similar to Red Ripper/Doom) but with an added octave in one pedal.

I've a big love for the Mooer sweeper which is cheap and tiny and is a clone of the bassballs which is a twin filter with added fuzz! Sounds wicked with an octave pedal 😁

The 3 Leaf Doom 2 is a strong contender, because it's a fuzz first with a 'flavour' of synth.  Thanks, I'll check it out.

Emma Octo Nojs is a fuzz with a Octave, which I have already.  Nice that they're combined but have that already.

Had a Mooer Sweeper but it's a filter first with a bit of fuzz that can be thrown in. Opposite of what I need really. Had one, it was nice but not my thing (incidentally, traded it to Al Krow).

5 minutes ago, Sharkfinger said:

The 3 Leaf Doom 2 is a strong contender, because it's a fuzz first with a 'flavour' of synth.  Thanks, I'll check it out.

Emma Octo Nojs is a fuzz with a Octave, which I have already.  Nice that they're combined but have that already.

Had a Mooer Sweeper but it's a filter first with a bit of fuzz that can be thrown in. Opposite of what I need really. Had one, it was nice but not my thing (incidentally, traded it to Al Krow).

Yeah the Doom is Brilliant, but The Doom 2 has more regular muff like fuzz options! A nice improvement,I'd love to try one.

The fuzz section on the Okto Njos is seperate,so can be used on its own. For what these go for its cheaper than the alternatives and does the job just as Well! The octave is a Brucie bonus and you can always set it for a very different sound to your regular octave.

8 hours ago, Sharkfinger said:

The Octo Nøjs is worth getting just for the synthy fuzz side (I have it even though I have another octaver).