Why become a member? ×

The magic smoke has gone...

Jakester

I thought you might want to laugh at my misfortune. 

I was doing a PA gear test before our gig at the weekend, but my main mixer was in the house and the speakers in the outbuilding. I had my phone so I thought I’d just rig up the phone via my mini mixer into the PA speakers to test them (it hadnt been used since last summer as we’d used other people’s PA).

Anyway, plugged it all in, fired it up - (firing up being the operative term as we’ll see). 

“Hmm, that’s a funny noise,” thought I. Checked all the connections, but only a low level hum that was getting louder. Then I saw it. Smoke from the mini mixer. Whipped out the power cable and  more smoke emanated from the plug socket. 

I looked at the plug - I hadn’t? I had. I’d plugged in a 9v DC wall wart into the 15v AC socket. 

Basically I’ve just burned out my spare mixer.

Doubly frustrating as it had a 2 channel USB interface and my wife was just getting into podcasting/audiobooks and was finding the XR18 a bit complex. 

A pic for your delectation:

9A023D8C-60B0-4978-853F-ADE4FE022E8F.jpeg

• Sad 5

Really odd... a 15V AC input should stand  up to 9V dc without going pop.

The damage should be limited to that power regulator chip as the worst case is that 9V gets through it to the circuit board (that big diode should prevent any reverse polarity) which is pretty much what it expects anyway.

Should be fixable, even if it means bodging in an alternative regulator.

• Thanks 1