Why become a member? ×

What have i done.

beerdragon

A guy in work who is a drummer. and a very good one, he also makes his own and and sold a snare to Frans Ferdinands drummer the other week asked did i fancy doing a one off gig at this . [url="http://www.deerocks.co.uk/"]http://www.deerocks.co.uk/[/url]. its on May 31st so says if i have'nt got a gig with the band i will do it. anyway last night he asks if i can fit a practise in sunday afternoon and gives me four songs for a start. i was quite looking forward to it untill i saw the list. there's a RHCP song a Muse, Biffy Clyro and a Black Rebel Motorcycle tune. to be honest i dont think i'm up to it, especially if they are expecting something by sunday. i am half hoping a gig comes up by then. bugger its either some serious studying or telling him a fib about a gig. what would you do?

Edited by beerdragon

It depends which tunes they are. The only group there my band dont cover is Biffy and I really aint that good. Some Chili stuff is surprisingly simple once you get it and the Muse stuff is usually fairly standard structure so easy enough to get too.

I say try like a bear and if you still aint ready for the gig you will at least have a a few new tunes under your belt.

1) The guy who asked you to do the gig has confidence you can do it.

2) It's four months away - get in the woodshed and have the songs nailed by May. Do what you can for Sunday - start with the easy tunes first. From now until Sunday listen to the tunes at every opportunity.

Jennifer

Go for it. You don't have to have them nailed by Sunday, just by May ..
It will be great for your development and learning and there's loads of help around.

Ask them for the tunes on Cd or, better, a recording of them doing it so you get the nuances of their arrangement.
Then try searching youtube for the tunes' bass play along or lesson like this one:

and Chordie for the chords [url="http://www.chordie.com/chord.pere/www.ultimate-guitar.com/print.phpreplaceqmarkwhat=tab&id=491222"]like this one[/url]

Then just play along a lot ;)

I also say go for it, the worst thing they can say is that you're not suitable. The best way to improve IMHO is to push yourself and stay out of your comfort zone - here's an opportunity to do both.

What songs are they doing?

Oh, and good luck for sunday.

Thanks for the replies. I think i will give it a go, but i'm not so sure about sunday. the songs are Biffy Clyro Saturday superhouse. Muse, thoughts of a dying atheist. RHCP, Parallel universe. BRMC, what ever happened to my rock and roll. none of which i have heard before. The guy has heard me play before and the drummer in our band is his idol so he must think if i'm ok to play with him i must be doing something right. looks like i will have to get my head down then. ;)

[quote name='bumfrog' post='406292' date='Feb 11 2009, 02:53 PM']well here's the chili's one for you ;)

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4mp4QJsMKQ"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4mp4QJsMKQ[/url][/quote]

I don't know if i should thank you or not. i didn't know you could go that high up the neck. :P

There was a guy on the italian bass forum who actually did Parallel Universe with his fingers :P
Anyway, yeah, it's done with a pick. If you can't actually withstand playing for so long (it may be painful for your wrists :P it will for mine, most certainly ;) ), try making small pauses while letting the note ring every now and then, the band won't notice it... much :) and the audience certainly won't :huh:

Thoughts of a dying atheist is simple as well, if you think it's a bit fast you may try to do it with a pick as well (roll off the tone a bit to lose a bit of the attack and make everything a bit smoother, also try out more picks to see which one works best for you to get less attack as possible).

I don't know the other two, I'm sorry, but they're fairly easy (not exactly piece of cake, I'd have problems probably playing them properly, but nothing you can't master with some practice), so don't worry :angry:

[quote name='bassicinstinct' post='405972' date='Feb 11 2009, 09:03 AM']I think you should proceed in accordance with the contents of your avatar.[/quote]

plus to the 1

You'll be fiiiiiiiine mate, just keep the kettle hot, have plenty of jam sarnies, and ensure you don't run out of hobnobs (these are my staple foods for practicing!)

good luck anyhow ;)

I learned parallel universe with me fingers then realised that he used a pick - If you've ever watched 'Off the Map' even flea looks like he's struggling near the end.

Easiest way to save your fingers to begin with is to play the verses as is and play single notes for the choruses.

Heard Biffy when they supported the Chilis at Hampden a couple of years ago - not my cup of tea overall but Saturday Superhouse is a cracker