Why become a member? ×

Lemon Oil

jakenewmanbass

[quote name='jakesbass' post='391510' date='Jan 26 2009, 11:00 AM']I'm sure this question has been asked and answered before but not being savvy enough I am not minded to go searching.
I want some Lemon oil for my fingerboard.
I believe we should use the pure stuff? Essential oil I guess?
Can anyone shed light and suggest a source Please

TA

Jake[/quote]

I got some from Thomann. I think it was made (or packaged) by Dunlop.

Haven't used it yet though.

I could send you a sample if you like.

Edited by bremen

Stringsdirect search reveals:

[url="http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/search?q"]http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/search?q[/url][keywords]=lemon&commit=Go

Something odd going on but if you search stringsdirect there's several products.

Peter

Edited by GreeneKing

worth saying that you hardly need any of it. A squirt or two applied to a cloth is more then enough to do a fretboard, then you need to wipe the excess off. You should only need to do that once or twice a year, as treating the fretboard with lemon oil too much can saturate the fretboard and cause problems. Either way, it works wonders and is great stuff ;)

It's also quite toxic, so remember to wash your hands once you've been using it.

[quote name='Delberthot' post='391962' date='Jan 26 2009, 05:42 PM']I bought a tin of the stuff in 1990 and still have about 2/3 of it left.

I just got mine out of a hardware shop.

The interweb hadn;t reached here at that time[/quote]

just did my rosewood neck with linseed oil
came up like new
and used just a small amount to take out dirt and freshen the fret to board joints

I've come across 3 Lemon oil families out there.
1) naphtha-based (yes that's lighter fluid) with lemon scent, "Lem-Oil", no lemons harmed in making this one, good at cutting thru grease and drying all the natural oils out of rosewood if you do it too often.
2) Emulsion/oil based which gives a greasy feel but smells nice. Best used for female thighs
3) Linseed/proper Lemongrass-oil blend in a little can also called Number One fingerboard oil: cleans the grease off then soaks in and conditions the wood. Absolutely marvellous stuff in a little can that's lasted me maybe 12 years now. More likely to be sold in a classical instrument shop but simply loves fingerboards. Maple will be stained by it and it doesn't soak in wwell which is why its really for dark woods.
They say Ebony doesn't need conditioning but I do mine once a year anyway and it comes up looking fab. Not sure about Wenge.

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='392146' date='Jan 26 2009, 09:16 PM']Just out of curiosity what does it do to maple boards?

I bought some for my old OLP guitar but couldn't use it because of that very reason.[/quote]

Most maple boards are sealed with varnish and the lemon oil can't soak in and so just makes a sticky mess on the surface.

I use Kyser lem-oil on my Warwick (wenge fingerboard) and Squire (rosewood fingerboard) and rate it well.

As mentioned above, it only takes a couple of 'squirts' to do the whole fretboard, and only needs to be repeated a couple of times a year at most.