Why become a member? ×

Out of Interest

drumbloke

Having the longest scale instrument, and not putting myself at risk of clubbing a singer over the head with my headstock (as much as I'd like to sometimes!), I prefer to be on the hi-hat side of a right-handed drummer. Also encourages me to take my eyes off of my fretboard and engage the audience and the rest of the band.

[quote name='obbm' post='388283' date='Jan 22 2009, 10:27 AM']Most drummers I play with have the Hi hat on their left. Are you a left-handed drummer or are you looking at this from the audience viewpoint?

Anyway facing the audience I prefer to stand to the drummer left, next to the snare/hi hat so I can see the Kick pedal easily.[/quote]

My P.O.V..

..View the kick pedal, interesting....

Edited by drumbloke

I know you guys are responding from a BG point of view but when I'm playing my DB I always try to stand stage right (ride cymbal side). That way I am looking across my bass and into the band. Stage left would have me looking out of the band. I have my cabs between me and the drummer and he seems to like it that way.

[quote name='OldGit' post='388346' date='Jan 22 2009, 11:29 AM']"Drumbloke?" when you are drumming which side do you prefer the bass player to be?[/quote]

I don't actually think it makes any difference to me, sound wise and musically. In a dep situation I suppose as far as watching for changes etc it is better to be able to see the bass player. Hand gestures from the singer usually don't mean a great deal. Hand gestures from guitarists are often rude. :P

Whilst were on it are there any universal 'musical hand gestures' detailed anywhere ? I find these usual ones seem to be used quite often :

Drawing a circle with your finger in the air : continue playing / everyone follow / everyone play.
Calm down type motion : 'quieter' opposite motion 'louder' (don't get that often)
Couting with the fingers held up : Bars left / number of 'stab' stops..
'Throat cut' : end / dead stop / your sacked
Vigorous / splurious hand motions : speed up - slow down / don't do that / that was sh*t you w***er / youv'e 'had it' later... ;)
Hands across the chest or spread out in crucificial manner : I'm a lead singer and my ego is clearly larger than I can imagine / anti perspirant is still wet.. :)

[quote name='bassace' post='388615' date='Jan 22 2009, 03:16 PM']I know you guys are responding from a BG point of view but when I'm playing my DB I always try to stand stage right (ride cymbal side). That way I am looking across my bass and into the band. Stage left would have me looking out of the band. I have my cabs between me and the drummer and he seems to ike it that way.[/quote]

I was going to say something about this - if I were playing jazz, even on bass guitar, I think it makes sense to stand on stage right because the ride is the main time keeping component of the kit and the drummer is likely to be playing orthodox grip and thus not spending his time looking over towards the hihats. Combine that with where you stand vs your upright bass and it makes even more sense.

NB: For fusion/doubling gigs I would not advocate swapping sides mid-set! ;)

Alex

[quote name='alexclaber' post='388652' date='Jan 22 2009, 03:55 PM']I was going to say something about this - if I were playing jazz, even on bass guitar, I think it makes sense to stand on stage right because the ride is the main time keeping component of the kit and the drummer is likely to be playing orthodox grip and thus not spending his time looking over towards the hihats. Combine that with where you stand vs your upright bass and it makes even more sense.

NB: For fusion/doubling gigs I would not advocate swapping sides mid-set! ;)

Alex[/quote]

More apparent now it is a preference based on 'view' of the drummist and there's me thinking it was random.

[quote name='drumbloke' post='388640' date='Jan 22 2009, 03:45 PM']I don't actually think it makes any difference to me, sound wise and musically. In a dep situation I suppose as far as watching for changes etc it is better to be able to see the bass player. Hand gestures from the singer usually don't mean a great deal. Hand gestures from guitarists are often rude. :P

Whilst were on it are there any universal 'musical hand gestures' detailed anywhere ? I find these usual ones seem to be used quite often :

Drawing a circle with your finger in the air : continue playing / everyone follow / everyone play.
Calm down type motion : 'quieter' opposite motion 'louder' (don't get that often)
Couting with the fingers held up : Bars left / number of 'stab' stops..
'Throat cut' : end / dead stop / your sacked
Vigorous / splurious hand motions : speed up - slow down / don't do that / that was sh*t you w***er / youv'e 'had it' later... ;)
Hands across the chest or spread out in crucificial manner : I'm a lead singer and my ego is clearly larger than I can imagine / anti perspirant is still wet.. :)[/quote]

Gutarand's "Death Stare" when you play a C under an Amin chord and they think you have played a wrong note and want the entire audience to know too.

Guven the choice - stage left for a right handed drummer so I can see the bass drum pedal and hi hat. That way I can still lock in even if the monitoring is so bad that I can't hear the drums ( sounds unlikely but happens). Generally though I do quite a bit of dep work and stand where I'm told ;)

Cheers
Alun

PS I agree with bassace for upright though, stage right is better for actually being able to see the band.

I tend to stick to the drummers right (ride side). partly to be further away from the snare to avoid deafening and partly because one of our guitarists wants to play from the drummers left. seems to work OK. Played on the other side recently for practical reasons and couldn't hear vocals or guitars over our drummers massive sound despite monitoring. When I start playing with a quieter drummer I might switch. Until then, I'm protecting my ears and trying to hear the whole mix.

[quote name='alexclaber' post='388652' date='Jan 22 2009, 03:55 PM']if I were playing jazz, even on bass guitar, I think it makes sense to stand on stage right because the ride is the main time keeping component of the kit[/quote]

Despite what I said earlier about almost always on drummer's left, I think there might be something in what Alex says. In a new band I've been playing not exactly jazz but definitely jazzier stuff with a lot of timekeeping on the ride. The rehearsal studio is set up with the bass rig on the drummer's right and so that's where I am and it does seem to work.

Always on the right hand side of the drummer, ever since I joined my first band.

It could be that I am usually looking across the fretboard so that it makes it easier to look up and see any visual cues or that it gives me a bit of room as no one wants to be speared by the head of a bass so they keep their distance.

Hi Hat side without a doubt on smaller gigs.

Just to keep an eye on the kick drum and hear the hi-hats if the sound is sh*t.

Doesn't matter on bigger gigs as they tend to like being up in the air surrounded by mics and extra drummery for some reason.
But at least I can get a good drum mix through the fold-back.

Playing with a drummer behind a big perspex sheet is the worst! Unless you have a full kit mix in your fold-back/in-ears. ie NEVER

I have to be on the hi-hat side. Great for communication with the drummer, great to keep an eye on his kick and I've put too many dings in headstocks in the past if I'm on the other side. (Bloody cymbals, except when they're drowning out ego driven lead solos with the same frequency crashes, Ha ha, I love a bit of stage tension)