Why become a member? ×

i wish i was rich

artisan

i spotted this little beauty today
[url="http://www.vintageandrareguitars.com/web/our-catalogue/Fender/Electric-Basses/item/5887"]http://www.vintageandrareguitars.com/web/o...asses/item/5887[/url]

so i emailed them to find out how much more than i can possibly afford it is,
taking offers over £28,000.00 :) but if i could i would :P
oh why can't i win the sodding lottery ;)

Why?

If you want a 1960 Jazz bass, get a normal 1960 Jazz Bass for fair bit less, and quite frankly it's not going to be made special for Entwistle, it's probably an off the shelf one, and quite suprising that one from an ex gigging musician seems to be in perfect nick, could it be a dog?

The fact that John Entwistle owned it will make absolutely no difference to your playing whatsoever. I guarantee it. It won't Never. Not now, not never.

The fact he owned it doesn't make it a great playing guitar, he's probably owned loads of crap playing guitars and now they're being sold off.

See past the bullshit. For that sort of money, you could buy a top of the range Alembic (if thats what floats your boat), take a right tasty doris out for a slap up meal, buy a small mountain of top class columbian, get your legover, hire a jag, drive her home, have brekkie at the ritz and still have change for a day out on the piss with your mates. Maybe even have enough to have a session with the Monday club at your local too...

Edited by WHUFC BASS

[quote name='Buzz' post='387924' date='Jan 21 2009, 07:49 PM']Why?

If you want a 1960 Jazz bass, get a normal 1960 Jazz Bass for fair bit less, and quite frankly it's not going to be made special for Entwistle, it's probably an off the shelf one, and quite suprising that one from an ex gigging musician seems to be in perfect nick, could it be a dog?[/quote]

Its not uncommon for Johns guitars to be pristine, he rarely played the majority of them. He had them as collectors items. During the 60s/70s he had a Fender from every year pf production, but rarely played them.

This is a lovely Jazz anyway but no way worth that amount, even with that great provenance.

John had probably the first 50s P bass ever made in his collection. When asked by Gordon Giltrap how it played, he said " Bloody awful".

Great.

[quote name='WHUFC BASS' post='387932' date='Jan 21 2009, 07:56 PM']The fact that John Entwistle owned it will make absolutely no difference to your playing whatsoever. I guarantee it. It won't Never. Not now, not never.

The fact he owned it doesn't make it a great playing guitar, he's probably owned loads of crap playing guitars and now they're being sold off.

See past the bullshit. For that sort of money, you could buy a top of the range Alembic (if thats what floats your boat), take a right tasty doris out for a slap up meal, buy a small mountain of top class columbian, get your legover, hire a jag, drive her home, have brekkie at the ritz and still have change for a day out on the piss with your mates. Maybe even have enough to have a session with the Monday club at your local too...[/quote]

None of that has got anything to do with it. If someone is prepared to pay £28k for it today, how much will someone pay for 5, 10, 15 years time? It's a collectors/investment piece pure and simple - I don't believe that anyone seriously thinks that that bass is £27,500 better than a stock '08 Jazz. Still, I don't know where they plucked £28k from - seems a ridiculous number even for an ex-Ox instrument.

Pluck

[quote name='sgt-pluck' post='387947' date='Jan 21 2009, 08:08 PM']None of that has got anything to do with it. If someone is prepared to pay £28k for it today, how much will someone pay for 5, 10, 15 years time? It's a collectors/investment piece pure and simple - I don't believe that anyone seriously thinks that that bass is £27,500 better than a stock '08 Jazz. Still, I don't know where they plucked £28k from - seems a ridiculous number even for an ex-Ox instrument.

Pluck[/quote]

Will it get you laid in 5, 10, 15 years time? That's the main thing.... ;)

Owned by Entwistle ? you mean..... stored at his house for a bit !!

It's not like it was his main Stage / Recording Bass for years is it ?

Sure it's a nice clean example...... Now Flea's pink / white 1960.... that would be worth something, used for recording an album and most of a world tour !

And did the Ox have some basses! There is a wonderful scene of the Ox leaving his mansion (to go on tour I think) from the 70's. It is very contrived of course, but the spiral staircase and walls of the hallway of his mansion are full of guitars. With the benefits of sky + I watched the scene a few times. Every classic guitar and bass is there from the 50's to when ever the film was shot. From a Gretch country gentleman to a Rik 4001.

note to self. Dr Who's Tardis, shotgun, stockings.

Good old Vintage and Rare.

I'm sure they , and their like , are responsible for some of the unrealistic telephone numbers we see on 'vintage' basses in our classifieds.
One sure fire way to not sell your bass is to use V and R's prices as a guideline to set yours.

[quote name='Golchen' post='388521' date='Jan 22 2009, 02:05 PM']Waste of money. No disrespect to JE intended there, but I'm sure if he were here he would agree.

The phrase that springs to mind 'a fool and his money are easily parted ......'[/quote]

If JE thought that bass was worth £28k, he himself would have sold it. He spent the majority of his later career totally skint.

[quote name='Mr Fudge' post='388223' date='Jan 22 2009, 09:18 AM']And did the Ox have some basses! There is a wonderful scene of the Ox leaving his mansion (to go on tour I think) from the 70's. It is very contrived of course, but the spiral staircase and walls of the hallway of his mansion are full of guitars. With the benefits of sky + I watched the scene a few times. Every classic guitar and bass is there from the 50's to when ever the film was shot. From a Gretch country gentleman to a Rik 4001.[/quote]

That'd be from the film The Kids Are Alright, and he's leaving his mansion to go and practise clay-pigeon shooting using R. Daltrey's solo records as targets :-)

[quote name='Rich' post='388222' date='Jan 22 2009, 09:18 AM']You wish you were rich?
Nah you don't. Being me is vastly overrated. ;)[/quote]

You say that, but you're already Rich. Pity those of us who weren't blessed with such attributes at birth. :P

To be honest, I'll agree with Marcus. Sure it's a nice clean example, but you can find nice clean examples elsewhere for much less. A battered tour bass or used on recording, it [i]maybe[/i] might be worth it if you've got that kind of money to blow. But this is coming from a presumed collector's point of view. An investor would think differently I guess.