Why become a member? ×

3 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

It might be because the P1 is passive.
I’ve got a P1 and P2, and there seems to be quite a difference between the two sonically. 

Maybe I've got the model wrong, but the Behringer I was using take a 9V battery.

7 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

I’ve got a P1 and P2, and there seems to be quite a difference between the two sonically. 

I've had that feedback too from some of my band members.  The P2 seems to be a lot more robust and has much better headroom on tap.

2 hours ago, EBS_freak said:

Cant really comment until I know how the connection to the aux was done. (Balanced/Unbalanced - length and type of cable etc). It doesn't surprise me if you are going over an unbalanced lead)

Balanced connection straight out of the desk, 10m XLR. If it makes any difference then I'm using the same XLR to plug the U4 transmitter into so I can have it on my side of the stage. 

3 hours ago, EBS_freak said:

Cant really comment until I know how the connection to the aux was done. (Balanced/Unbalanced - length and type of cable etc). It doesn't surprise me if you are going over an unbalanced lead)

Unbalanced from a Balanced feed usually drops the signal 6db.

Having used a very cheap Lekato 2.4 wireless, which dropped out a little the last gig I did, I have now plumped for the MIPRO MI58 set up

I've read some really good reviews and I'm hoping it will serve me well.

I'm not going to be using it at festivals, just my pub gigs

On 26/02/2024 at 14:36, Dubs said:

Just spotted some talk on this thread about the Behringer P1/P2 IEM packs... I've just upgraded from the P1 to the mono Xvive U4 wireless system expecting the only advantage to be the fact it's wireless, but actually the clarity is a massive improvement as well, especially in the low end. This was something I wasn't expecting but is really noticable, such a difference to the mix when naturally a lot of my focus is on the bass. 

That's interesting, a run of gigs in pokey pubs has meant I've gone wired recently with the P2 but the sound was such that I tried it at home connecting my in-ears straight to the desk and then through the P2 which I felt did downgrade the sound. I'd assumed the Xvive would be worse with more to go wrong but an improvement in sound would be welcome if that is possible

4 hours ago, police squad said:

Having used a very cheap Lekato 2.4 wireless, which dropped out a little the last gig I did, I have now plumped for the MIPRO MI58 set up

Now you've got me super interested. Where did you end up getting it from in the end?

20 hours ago, police squad said:

Just read the reviews - pretty glowing! 

5.8 GHz should be a definite plus in terms of interference from other 2.4 GHz kit. 

But it's a decent investment at 10 times the cost of the Lekato's, so hopefully will be quite a step up. 

On @dave_bass5 recommendation, I finally sourced a set of Sennheiser IE 400 Pros for a very good price, used, via eBay. Full set of unused tips, cleaning tool and case. The only issue was the Sennheiser cable was knackered but the seller included a superior third-party cable. All for about £100 inc postage (around a third of the new price). Very happy bunny.

I've only had a chance to test them with particular tracks I always test with, plugged into my MacBook, but first impressions are great. Nice, comfortable fit and the sound signature is similar to my ATH-M50x on-ear headphones, which is exactly what I wanted. None of the drastic V-shape and shrill top end my KZ ZS10 Pro X have (although, I'll still use these as spares). So a smooth mid-range, clear top and slightly exaggerated and very deep low end.

Now the bad bit. While trying out the different tips to find the best fit, the small tip on the right earpiece was proving difficult to remove. Being a very small tip, I must have gripped it too hard as the capsule started coming out of the housing! I managed to push it back in and align it and it seems okay, but I'm obviously concerned it could happen again, even by just pulling it out of my ears it started to dislodge again. 

Looking into it, it appears to be a known issue with this design - particularly if the user cleans them with alcohol wipes, which can break down the glue holding the capsule in the housing. It could have already been like that when I bought them, but I have no proof, Or I could have damaged them myself, so I can't send them back for a refund. As ever, that's part of the risk buying used.

Other users have fixed this issue with super glue applied carefully with cotton buds or toothpicks - I have some water-thin superglue (that I bought for filling a nut slot with baking powder) - so I'll give that go - very carefully!. If I can't fix it and it proves to be unreliable at gigs, I can buy a single earpiece for around £150, which is still less than buying a complete set new.  Or I get a brand new set, with a warranty, and keep these for spares.

2 hours ago, Al Krow said:

5.8 GHz should be a definite plus in terms of interference from other 2.4 GHz kit. 

But it's a decent investment at 10 times the cost of the Lekato's, so hopefully will be quite a step up. 

yes the reviews are great, we'll see how it goes, hopefully at tomorrow night's gig

7 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Theres quite a lot more to it though than the Lekato. And in terms of the stereo digital IEM market at that price point, they, as far as I am aware, are standing alone. Whilst they have the monopoly, they will be maximising on that opportunity.

And whether you choose the Dante version or not, thats a dev/licensing cost which needs to be recovered.

On 24/10/2022 at 11:32, EBS_freak said:

If you are wondering why MI58 - check the sound quality here (5:52). He does a walk around a venue... but as long as your transmitters are in line of sight and all that, or close to the stage, which I would imagine most people reading this are going to have... then jobs a goodun. Low latency, digital audio quality, no compander. What's not to like?

@Al Krow - this is why it floats my boat.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Greg Edwards69 said:

On @dave_bass5 recommendation, I finally sourced a set of Sennheiser IE 400 Pros for a very good price, used, via eBay. Full set of unused tips, cleaning tool and case. The only issue was the Sennheiser cable was knackered but the seller included a superior third-party cable. All for about £100 inc postage (around a third of the new price). Very happy bunny.

That's a good price, glad my recommendation worked out.

Ive never heard of them breaking like yours, but I guess until I go looking for answers I wouldn't know. Its quite worrying if they are delicate, but ive done around 15 gigs (and many rehearsals) with mine and changed tips maybe 3-4 times without issue so far.

To be honest if I was in your situation and looking for a replacement at that cost, id get the IE80's. I had these first and I actually prefer the fit (very slight difference). The low end is a bit different but ive used my singers on two gigs and after a song or two I forgot I didn't have my IE400's in. These are around £80 so much better value. 

There was a few reports in this thread on Head-Fi, including this chap (direct link) who had exactly the same issue as me. I'm hoping superglue will work for me as it did him.

Sennheiser IE 500 PRO (and newer models) vs Sennheiser IE 800 S | Page 9 | Headphone Reviews and Discussion - Head-Fi.org

These are the first IEMs I've had where the capsule is separate from the main housing. Whilst probably easier to manufacture and repair, it's also a point of failure.  There's every chance the previous owner kindly cleaned them with alcohol and weakened the glue holding the capsule in place.

so I've got it home but I dont think I have the correct leads to connect it.

It seems to be stereo input. Left xlr and right xlr and at the moment I come out of the headphone output on my desk and have the 'outfront sound'

I'll need a special lead, unless it gives stereo on the left hand input, I need to get my desk out to try it

I find this kind of gear a bit daunting at first.

But it does seem nice and solid, which is a great start

1 hour ago, police squad said:

so I've got it home but I dont think I have the correct leads to connect it.

It seems to be stereo input. Left xlr and right xlr and at the moment I come out of the headphone output on my desk and have the 'outfront sound'

I'll need a special lead, unless it gives stereo on the left hand input, I need to get my desk out to try it

I find this kind of gear a bit daunting at first.

But it does seem nice and solid, which is a great start

If you’re using your stereo headphone out then you’ll need a 6.3mm TRS to dual XLR I think. The left input is likely to be mono only and if you use that you’ll need to set your receiver to dual mono mode. On my Sennheiser unit it’s called ‘focus’ mode.

55 minutes ago, Muppet said:

If you’re using your stereo headphone out then you’ll need a 6.3mm TRS to dual XLR I think. The left input is likely to be mono only and if you use that you’ll need to set your receiver to dual mono mode. On my Sennheiser unit it’s called ‘focus’ mode.

yes exactly that. 

I have cobbled together an unbalnced lead set up and apart from some back ground, it sounds just as good as plugging direct into the desk with headphones.

Its quite intuitive too. I have found in the menu how to switch to mono, so I could have just one stereo side going to both ears (sounds horrible as my backinh tracks aree stereo)

I'll get a TRS to dual XLR from our man on here Chienmortbb

Hello guys!

I have been reading this thread, and I haven't finished, so sorry if you guys have talked about it already (I tried searching for something like this without much luck).

Last weekend I played with IEM in a very small club. My signal chain was:
Bass-->Pedalboard-->Rolls PM351-->Sennheiser XSW. The thing is that my in ears don't isolate that much which hadn't bothered me until last Saturday. I put foam plugs already and I have tried a lot. Do you guys have any tips to improve isolation? The in ears are Sennheiser IE100 in case it helps.