Why become a member? ×

Stated before, I think IEMS are actually more suited to pub situations than larger stages. (OK, not more suited cos they are suitable for all environments). Running with no back line and totally on IEM keeps the volume and bleed into the mics down and helps with the confines of space that you often get at such gigs. Your band will get a much better sound for the punters as soon as you ditch as much backline and do it all within the box so to speak. 

Edited by EBS_freak
  • Like 3

50 minutes ago, EBS_freak said:

Stated before, I think IEMS are actually more suited to pub situations than larger stages. (OK, not more suited cos they are suitable for all environments). Running with no back line and totally on IEM keeps the volume and bleed into the mics down and helps with the confines of space that you often get a gigs. Your band will get a much better sound for the punters as soon as you ditch as much backline and do it all within the box so to speak. 

Having backline on a small stage is the reason I went for IEM’s over a monitor in the first place. 
Im amazed at how many times my Apple Watch alerts me that the ambient sound level is above 90db. At rehearsals it’s gone above 100db a few times. 
Luckily I stand at the back, behind the backline most of the time, but it’s quite noticeable when one ear starts to come loose. Always the one closest to the bloody drummer lol. 

I've just finished a 6 week depping job where they all have IEM. Great job, very simply I took aux 6 via a mono lead to my P2.

By the end of my stint I had a really good mix.

We did a festival last Friday and the sound guy gave us all wireless packs and we all set up our own mix. (the sound guy asked us what we wanted, as opposed to using our phones) It was great.

I had a meeting with the BL of The Americana Revue last night. This is the new project I'm involved with and we will be mostly using our own PA man, who will rent us all the PA etc and he is onboard with IEMs, which is wonderful news. We will be doing shows to about 800-1000 people (hopefully) so reasonanbly big theatres etc.

I even showed him the Vox MV50 amp, which is incredible, light etc. So his load in as a guitarist is easy. 

• Like 2

On 17/07/2023 at 10:21, acidbass said:

I have to say my experience with Lugs earphones leaves a lot to be desired.  While the fit of the moulds and seal were both good - the sound was awful.  I bought a set of quad driver phones and the bass just sounded like mush.  I found I could never hear what I wanted, despite the phones running at ear-bleeding levels.  It seemed like all the drivers were just thrown into the earphones without any tuning/crossovers to make them sound good.  All 6 of my band have since moved on from Lugs for similar reasons.

Can I ask what you all moved on to? 
Ive given up trying to find the perfect foam/silicon etc ear tips so I’m committed to getting customs now. 
I’ve set my budget to £500 max (inc getting the impressions done). 

On 25/07/2023 at 12:44, dave_bass5 said:

Having backline on a small stage is the reason I went for IEM’s over a monitor in the first place. 
Im amazed at how many times my Apple Watch alerts me that the ambient sound level is above 90db. At rehearsals it’s gone above 100db a few times. 
Luckily I stand at the back, behind the backline most of the time, but it’s quite noticeable when one ear starts to come loose. Always the one closest to the bloody drummer lol. 

Same here, it's quite astouding the number of times the noise level alert goes off (also annoyingly when I'm using the hand dryer at work - apple really ought to fix that.

I note you have a set of AirPod Pro's too. If you don't use IEM in rehearsal, try the AirPods set to transparency mode - they work wonderfully as digital earplugs as they have a limiter built-in set to around 85db by default, but I believe it's adjustable.

59 minutes ago, Greg Edwards69 said:

Same here, it's quite astouding the number of times the noise level alert goes off (also annoyingly when I'm using the hand dryer at work - apple really ought to fix that.

I note you have a set of AirPod Pro's too. If you don't use IEM in rehearsal, try the AirPods set to transparency mode - they work wonderfully as digital earplugs as they have a limiter built-in set to around 85db by default, but I believe it's adjustable.

We had one rehearsal where me and the singer we facing the rest of the band. They only use small amps but it was a small, long room. I was a shocked by the sound pressure level when I took my IEM’s out. Now I use them all the time. 

I have tried the AirPod pro and was surprised at how much they attenuated the sound, but then I couldn’t hear myself. 

It’s funny but when I was playing bass I never had this issue. I guess I was always standing to the side of the drums and guitars and so never had the full force aimed at me. This is why I now stand at the back in my own space. 

Ok, so another inquiry to Lugs yesterday using a direct email has got me no where (although it’s not been 24 hours just yet). Maybe im too impatient lol. 

So another brand ive just noticed is Cosmicears. I quite fancy the CE3P, which is at the top end of my budget.

Anyone using these?

Edited by dave_bass5

42 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

Ok, so another inquiry to Lugs yesterday using a direct email has got me no where (although it’s not been 24 hours just yet). Maybe im too impatient lol. 

Have you tried using FB messenger? There's always a chance that your emails are getting caught in his spam filter by mistake. I messaged on messenger last week and had a reply within an hour.

3 hours ago, mrtcat said:

Have you tried using FB messenger? There's always a chance that your emails are getting caught in his spam filter by mistake. I messaged on messenger last week and had a reply within an hour.

I actually did this just after posting and have now had dialogue with him. Still not sure i like the idea of having to use a social media platform and have emails ignored, but maybe thats just the way he works. 

At last I get to use my Mercury IEM4's in anger twice this weekend.

Friday night with a house PA and I plan on using my Zoom H6 positioned the other side of the kit, by the guitarists and near the house speakers with a feed from my Two Notes Bass Revolt and possibly my Vox on a split from the mic to toe channels on the H6

Saturday night we have our usual PA guy so it should be an aux from the XR16 and set my own mix on the iPad

On 26/07/2023 at 13:12, dave_bass5 said:

Can I ask what you all moved on to? 
Ive given up trying to find the perfect foam/silicon etc ear tips so I’m committed to getting customs now. 
I’ve set my budget to £500 max (inc getting the impressions done). 

@dave_bass5 left field option for you... Fearless S8 Pro. Eight driver custom iem within your budget. I have a universal pair and they're incredible. See my earlier post:

https://www.basschat.co.uk/topic/389429-the-iem-in-ear-monitors-bible-thread/?do=findComment&comment=4853532

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, AJ567 said:

@dave_bass5 left field option for you... Fearless S8 Pro. Eight driver custom iem within your budget. I have a universal pair and they're incredible. See my earlier post:

https://www.basschat.co.uk/topic/389429-the-iem-in-ear-monitors-bible-thread/?do=findComment&comment=4853532

Ah cool. Thanks, I’ll have a look at those tonight. Not heard of them before (but then never heard of any of these until I started looking). 
Got a gig tonight and I’m trying out a set of Sennheiser IE 100 Pro. These are only one driver and cheap, but if they fit ok and stay in I may send them back and get the IE400 pro instead (if they sound ok I might keep them).
My thinking here is the IE100 is a shallower profile and slighter than my MEE’s, and might fit my ears better. I need something I can get into hook in rather than sit proud of my ear.  They are arriving today so I’ll take them straight to the gig, along with my MEE’s of course. 

35 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

Ah cool. Thanks, I’ll have a look at those tonight. Not heard of them before (but then never heard of any of these until I started looking). 
Got a gig tonight and I’m trying out a set of Sennheiser IE 100 Pro. These are only one driver and cheap, but if they fit ok and stay in I may send them back and get the IE400 pro instead (if they sound ok I might keep them).
My thinking here is the IE100 is a shallower profile and slighter than my MEE’s, and might fit my ears better. I need something I can get into hook in rather than sit proud of my ear.  They are arriving today so I’ll take them straight to the gig, along with my MEE’s of course. 

My only wish is that ACS will bring out a multi-driver version of their Pro-Fit IEM so that I can use my existing custom moulds for IEM duties. At £99 for the current single driver version I am still tempted to try them even though I have read on here that they really are not that good. My ZS10's are great but despite trying multiple foam and neoprene tips, isolation is still an issue for me.  

Edited by JPJ

6 hours ago, warwickhunt said:

Ditto.  I put it down to my ear canal shape but I guess it is the overall design/shape.

Same. I also wasn’t keen on how they sounded. My Singer uses the old version and I had the + version for a while. Too big and heavy for my flat ears, but also too bright and open sounding for me. I felt the same with the 4 driver MEE that I had for a short while as well, so I’m stating to think I don’t need too many drivers to get the vibe I want. I also have great EQ on the IEM amp if needed anyway. 

I was at the gym last night when It dawned on me that my AirPods stay put, with just the stock silicon tips. The difference is they are lodged in my ears and not just relying on the tip to hold hem in. So I went looking for a more shallow profile IEM that I could try. The Sen IE100 seemed like it might fit the bill (or ear). 

Edited by dave_bass5

47 minutes ago, jimmyb625 said:

Has anyone given the Sennheiser XSW's a go?

I'm wondering if they're worth a look as an upgrade to the LD systems we're using (MEI 1000 and U508). They're cheaper than the G4 system, but I wonder if it's false economy.

I’ve got one but only used it 3 times before we lost our singer so it’s gathering dust for now. The audio quality was good with no dropouts. Our guitarist has used one for a year and is happy with his (he moved from an xvive system due to frequent dropouts and a desire to have a stereo mix). 

• Like 1

On 21/07/2023 at 14:26, Woodinblack said:

Mine plug everything in themselves, but then they should..

IMG_6432.jpeg

And also it is the same group and we have been using it since 2017 for well over 100 gigs, and more practices, so they ought to really

Think I might give this a go over the weekend. Just got some luminous labels and I do keep a UV torch handy at gigs. 

Just sound checked with the Sen IE100 Pro……..wow!!!!. 

They are just small enough that i  can hook them in to my ear. I had to put the memory foam tips that i had on my MEE’s on them, but then they were rock solid (at least for the soundcheck). The right ear still felt a bit looser than the left, but i could tell the grip was there and they wont budge unless i caught the wire on something. The tips im using are the Sonicfoams, which are slightly shorter than the Comply’s. This helped me get them in to the outer ear. I did try a set of Comply’s that i had with me and they fitted well enough, but not quite as good as the much cheaper SF’s. 

Isolation isnt as much as a custom fit, but for me it’s enough. I could hear me clearly and above the rest ob the band. Loads of headroom by the sounds of it. 

Considering these are only single driver and cost me £79 im blow away with the sound. Instantly preferred them to the 3 driver MEE’s i have been using. Stereo spread is really nice, especially considering reviews say the soundstage isnt great. 

Now i have to decide if i should keep these and thats it. Send them back and get the IE400’s (same fit, better sound apparently), or spend even more on customs. I know some will say this is just putting off the inevitable, but id rather not spend £500+ if i can spend half that and be happy.

I’ll see how the gig goes. If they stay put then i see no reason for customs at this stage. 

Gig done. Blown away with the IE100’s. Never budged once. No complaints about the sound either. 

So much so that ive ordered some IE400’s. Arriving Monday. Strangely WEX were the cheapest. .

As long as the fit is the same, my quest has finally finished, and well under budget. 

• Like 1

On 26/07/2023 at 23:20, WalMan said:

At last I get to use my Mercury IEM4's in anger twice this weekend.

Friday night with a house PA and I plan on using my Zoom H6 positioned the other side of the kit, by the guitarists and near the house speakers with a feed from my Two Notes Bass Revolt and possibly my Vox on a split from the mic to toe channels on the H6

Saturday night we have our usual PA guy so it should be an aux from the XR16 and set my own mix on the iPad

First night went ok, other than we got to the gig expecting to use the house pa only to find they had got it into their head that we were using ours. No idea where that came from but luckily our guy had his in the van and we wheeled that in. It meant I had a fullish mix fed from an aux to the P2.

Ended up with one plug slightly out as I was not getting enough ambient sound for the kit in the rush to get ready.

Good news was I was getting a good signal for bass so didn’t dig in too hard, and had a decent vocal signal so didn’t over stress as much as I might have in the past and got through songs where I might have blown a third chorus repeat fine.

Tonight I’ll try adding in the H6 behind the kit just for me. 

Second gig of the weekend done. Tonight i put the silicon tips back on the IE100’s and they worked really well. Cant say i noticed much difference between these and the memory foam tips the previous night. Isolation was maybe a bit less, but the playing area was larger so this helped me hear the pout side world a bit better (my ambient mic is on my side of the stage). Never thought id find a IEM where i could use the stock tips. 

Cant wait to get the IE400’s on Monday, mainly to see how well the Sennheiser foam tips work. The IE100 comes with a M size, but its too loose. 

Second night went well and had the H6 behind the kit to hear that and a bit of ambience. Generally a good addition for my mix though it probably needs experimenting on positioning as there was too much bleed from the drummers monitor.

Both plugs in and again found I wasn’t digging in too hard on the bass and bv’s pitched better and not overstrained because I could hear what was going on.

Only two nights in on the journey but pleased with the results so far 😁