Why become a member? ×

Best strings for a Stingray 5?

Monz

It's like asking for people to tell you what their favourite food is. You'll get almost as many answers as there are replies.

In these times of financial hardship go for Elixirs, they'll last you till the next recession. ;)

[quote name='Sean' post='387097' date='Jan 21 2009, 07:31 AM']It's like asking for people to tell you what their favourite food is. You'll get almost as many answers as there are replies.

In these times of financial hardship go for Elixirs, they'll last you till the next recession. ;)[/quote]

I know I'm bound to get lots of different replies, but it came with elites on and to me it looks like it needs a shorter low B because the full width of the string is on to the post. Do ernie ball strings fit better?

Edited by Monz

Ernieball Slinky 5 sets are superb, they last well and when they do die they do boil with good results, oh and they are cheap as dirt from strings direct. I have been through so many brands and always come back to Ernieballs and they sounded awesome on my StingRay.

I currently use the lightest gauge 5 string set on my Roscoe Beck V and they are so easy to play and the sound is great. I also find the B string fantastic and very clear and I tune down to B flat on 34" scale.

Hope that helps a bit.

[quote name='mr_russ' post='387408' date='Jan 21 2009, 12:37 PM']Can't stand EB strings[/quote]
Right on! Things of Evil. Well, they were on my Yamaha.
Got Rotos on my fretless SR5 at the moment, but the next set may well be Warwick Yellows.
For a fretted, I'd go with Elixirs, DR or Elites, depending on budget...

I guess I've usually hovered between Elites, EB's and Rotosounds depending on what deals might be going though have tried many others over the years.
Previously, my Tune 6-string had a set of Jackson's. I bought 3 sets on a trip to the US - $25 a set. Which was nice! ;)
I've also used Trace Elliot strings, ranging from their BLX series to their regular sets for both electric and acoustic bass.
I had a brief deal with Gibson a few years ago so was able to try their bass strings for a while. Actually not bad but I probably wouldn't have considered them above the usual suspects otherwise. Ultimately, it's trial and error til you find what feels right for YOU.
Best strings for me would be anything that was permanently 2 weeks old, i.e., just played in enough to take 'newness' off but still have a brightness to them to the end! :P

[quote name='Monz' post='387099' date='Jan 21 2009, 07:43 AM']....it looks like it needs a shorter low B because the full width of the string is on to the post. Do ernie ball strings fit better?....[/quote]
I could be corrected here, but I don't think this matters with roundwound strings, I've only heard of this being a problem with La Bella flatwounds. I used Super Slinky heavy gauge when I had an MM SR5.

EB Stingray = EB Super Slinkys.

I've used SS's on all my basses for a while (apart from the shortscale Gretsch), and IMO they're excellent. Nice tone on a stingray, and and I've found the life to be decent too, and I sweat like a glass blowers arse live.