Why become a member? ×

Early 90's Roscoe LG **SOLD**

CJBASS

Back up for SALE now, my early 90's Roscoe LG 3000. Absolute beast of a bass, both sound and looks. Selling as I want a Lakland or Stingray.

It is offered elsewhere but would really like to sell it to someone here (slight chance I could buy it back in the next few years :rolleyes: )
Details:

Both the previous owner and myself have both spoke to Gard at Roscoe who has helped confirm the wood selection etc.

Mahogany body
Exhibition grade Quilt maple top
dark accent veneer
2 piece maple neck
Brazilian Rosewood board
Roscoe spec bartolini pickups
Bartolini 2 band preamp -vol,vol,treble,bass,boost switch( normal, boost, stupid boost, as Gard put it)

The bass has had very low action ever since I bought it from the previous owner Steve. The action and intonation hasnt moved a bit and the bass plays very nicely with a good range of sound variation available from a classic p bass tone to more polite modern tones.

My flat mate is away with my camera so I only have the pics taken by one of the previous owners. Hasnt changed since those and could probably do with a new set of strings. Other than that it comes with a semi-hard case and I would prefer collection in Glasgow but would be willing to post - Probably another 25 quid??

[color=#FF0000][b]Dont miss out, I doubt you can get a better playing or sounding bass for anything less than £1000 and bare in mind with the exchange rate the way it is, a new bass like this would cost you at least four times as much as this one.[/b][/color]

As stated I am wanting to get a Laky DJ or JO 4 or mayb a stingray with this partly funding it. If in the unlikely event that some one has one for trade I could chuck in the Warwick combo I'm also selling for £250 which again is a great piece of kit for the price.

Wishful thinking I know but if you dont ask....

cheers

Edited by CJBASS

[quote name='CJBASS' post='386455' date='Jan 20 2009, 06:38 PM']Just a feeler at the moment but possibly looking to trade my early 90's Roscoe LG 3000. It is my main bass so not entirely keen on selling it then having to hunt down something to replace it in a short space of time, hence trade preference.

Ideally looking for a jazz bass of some variety with a preference for a maple neck and f/board and ash body but will look and consider any offers made.

Details:

Both the previous owner and myself have both spoke to Gard at Roscoe who has helped confirm the wood selection etc.

Mahogany body (possibly brazilian)
Exihbition grade Quilt maple top
dark accent veneer
2 piece maple neck
Brazilian Rosewood board
Roscoe spec bartolini pickups
Bartolini 2 band preamp (vol,vol,treble,bass,boost switch)

The bass has had very low action ever since I bought it from the previous owner who is also on this forum but i cant remember who it was? The action and intonation hasnt moved a bit and the bass plays very nicely with a good range of sound variation available from a classic p bass tone to more polite modern tones.

The reason for wanting a change is that I have just joined a 9 piece funk band and this doesnt really fit the bill and my other band is a scottish folk band which I only use my fretless for so this very nice bass isnt getting the use it deserves.

I will get some pictures up tonight once I get home from work. Feel free to post or PM any questions.

cheers[/quote]

Has this bass got a Jackson-style headstock (pointy)? If so, I owned this bass for a while, and it's an amazing bass.

• 3 months later...

[quote name='steve' post='386509' date='Jan 20 2009, 07:22 PM']I was the previous owner of this bass, and I can confirm everything CJ put in his post - it's a belter with a fantastic preamp.[/quote]

[quote name='bassaussie' post='386511' date='Jan 20 2009, 07:23 PM']Has this bass got a Jackson-style headstock (pointy)? If so, I owned this bass for a while, and it's an amazing bass.[/quote]

[quote name='vmaxblues' post='386623' date='Jan 20 2009, 08:46 PM']Ditto, if pointy head, was probably mine too![/quote]

Can I be the first to say that I 'haven't' owned this bass! :)

A lot of bass for not a huge wedge of money.

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='492510' date='May 19 2009, 05:04 PM']Pointy, pointy... you know you want it. Just think; one more banner to add to your siggie! :)[/quote]

Ah well, there's the decider.... there's no room for any more banners! lol! :rolleyes:

Can't believe you are letting this go. I would love it if I could afford it. If it wasn't for the fact I just bought a cheaper four string then blasted the rest of my overdraft on crap I don't need I would be biting your hand off.

Yeh mate trust me I dont want to sell it but dont really have a choice. Havn't been paid by the TA for the last 46 days work I've done for them which has totally screwed me over. I really think the army should have the worst credit rating in the world!

I got paid effectively in yearly lump sums when I was in the TA. They were that bad at getting their stuff together. This was an extremely long time ago!

If I had the cash, and it wasnt so pointy I'd really be very interested, but I have an allergy to those shaped headstocks.....

[quote name='bassaussie' post='386511' date='Jan 20 2009, 07:23 PM']Has this bass got a Jackson-style headstock (pointy)? If so, I owned this bass for a while, and it's an amazing bass.[/quote]

And i owned this Bass before you several years ago... :rolleyes:
Its a bit of an ol' slapper really..... :)

Great Bass.

Garry

[quote name='bassaussie' post='495642' date='May 22 2009, 11:09 PM']Sure did!! How you doing Garry?![/quote]

Hello mate..
I am doing fine...
Are you still living in Portugal?

Bump for the Bass.
It is a good player.
Go on, someone go for this.. :)

Garry

[quote name='lowdown' post='495779' date='May 23 2009, 07:14 AM']Hello mate..
I am doing fine...
Are you still living in Portugal?

Bump for the Bass.
It is a good player.
Go on, someone go for this.. :)

Garry[/quote]

Yep, still in Lisbon, although I work outside of Portugal these days. Lots of commuting, which is a bit boring.

I thought I'd add my reason for selling the bass, as it seems to have passed through a few hands, which might be flagging some concern for people.

The main thing I didn't like was the electronics package. Simply put, I just don't like the Bartolini sound. Obviously that's a very personal gripe, so what I didn't like might be exactly the thing that attracts another bassist. I also thought the bridge was a bit cumbersome. And the headstock was a slight turn off - it's a bit Charvel/Jackson looking, which went against the look of the rest of the bass. Still, that's an aesthetic issue, and again, some people might really like it.

However, on the positive side, there are loads of good things. First, the shape of the body is amazingly comfortable. I wasn't all that taken by the look of it, but when I was playing the bass, if felt great. Another big positive was the quality of the instrument. This was a very early Roscoe, but it was apparent that even back then, Roscoe were paying a lot of attention to build quality. The general build of the bass was what I'd expect from a top level custom shop. Quite frankly, this really is a pro-level instrument.

So .... here's another bump!

• 4 months later...

[quote name='CJBASS' post='620825' date='Oct 8 2009, 06:12 PM']Right folks time for an October bump. This is for sale again! Top player and sounds nice as hell![/quote]

Loving the current LG basses...I love that body shape, but lordy that headstock doesn't work for me. Thinking aloud; I wonder whether they'd do a replacement?

P

Ha yeh I understand where your coming from with the headstock

But trust me once you play it you wont care!

In terms of playability it beats everything I have tried whether they were Sadowsky's or Overwaters etc at much higher prices. The Body I dont personally like looks wise but it is very nice to play seated or standing and overall it is a well balanced bass. I was playing this with my funk band this week and fell in love again with the sound of it so I may put some audio clips up soon to show you all what this beast do.

Oh and as to the replacement neck I have spoken to a few of the Roscoe team via email and they seem like very nice helpful guys. I dont think they would have any problem providing a new neck if you wanted one although looking at the price of a new roscoe and the exchange rate the the way it is, you would be lucky to get a new neck for the price this bass is selling for!

Edited by CJBASS